All Asda photo depts could be closing soon?

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
...but a 3rd party is interested in taking over and talks ongoing.

Lab service at mine went a few weeks ago, they're also getting rid of most of their non food lines and letting a load of folk go. Though I think this is more of an issue a dozen supermarkets per sq mile round me.

The girl knew who the 3rd party was but wouldn't tell me and no inside info on twitter. :(

I don't think we can count on Photo-Me keeping all those machines full of nasty wet chemicals for processing that stuff that those weirdo oldies call film. I mean that's just so last century innit? I bet some of them haven't even got selfie-sticks.

I don't think we can count on Photo-Me keeping all those machines full of nasty wet chemicals for processing that stuff that those weirdo oldies call film. I mean that's just so last century innit? I bet some of them haven't even got selfie-sticks.

That's what I'm thinking too....so for me it would be snappy snaps and boring scanning or back to DIY. But the girl said there is still an interest in film and maybe Photo-me will continue and they don't have to train new staff as the girls know how it works.....but the girl\girls have said they have been at Asda's for 20 years h'mm and probably won't want to change employers.

They took the film processing machines out my local Tescos but they have sub-contracted out the service to Max Spielman. Not as cheap and they do send the films away to a central lab so not as convenient as 1 hour service while you doing your shopping. But if you're desperate I suppose it's an alternative.

They took the film processing machines out my local Tescos but they have sub-contracted out the service to Max Spielman. Not as cheap and they do send the films away to a central lab so not as convenient as 1 hour service while you doing your shopping. But if you're desperate I suppose it's an alternative.

Well I don't know how you guys can wait for days....I want digi speed without using one. o_O But on thinking you probably all use a digi camera in the mean time, so don't mind waiting for film results :D

My local Snappy Snaps is now down to only firing up the C41 machine twice a week due to lack of demand for it & they are in the middle of a busy high street. Sad times.

My local Snappy Snaps is now down to only firing up the C41 machine twice a week due to lack of demand for it & they are in the middle of a busy high street. Sad times.

:( using film is beginning to be like "death by a thousand cuts"

Twice a week eh? Our C41 is running from 8am to at least 3pm most days as are the bw and E6 machines.
Is film a bit more niche for a high street place now? I don't think people who use film use it because they can't afford digital, many of them buy it online and have to wait so they don't seem to mind the wait on processing as much.

i only tend to use the like's of Asda and Tesco and maybe SnappySnaps when I want test films processed, anything important I do myself if they're b&w and colour stuff I send to one of the better labs.

i only tend to use the like's of Asda and Tesco and maybe SnappySnaps when I want test films processed, anything important I do myself if they're b&w and colour stuff I send to one of the better labs.

Surely just dev C41 should be the same all over the world as long as the chemicals are fresh and the operator doesn't drag the negs across the floor...Asda use Fuji chemicals and add the chemicals every day, so what do many labs do that's different.....................

Last edited:
Surely just dev C41 should be the same all over the world as long as the chemicals are fresh and the operator doesn't drag the negs across the floor...Asda use Fuji chemicals and add the chemicals every day, so what do many labs do that's different.....................
Check the chemicals (process control strips)
Monitor the films with infra red cameras and monitors.
Not everyone knows an E6 from a C41 and not everywhere can do 5x4 and 120.
Clip tests...push and pull...cross processing...

Check the chemicals (process control strips)
Monitor the films with infra red cameras and monitors.
Not everyone knows an E6 from a C41 and not everywhere can do 5x4 and 120.
Clip tests...push and pull...cross processing...

h'mm well Asda only do 35mm C41....and I don't know what you mean by "Monitor the films with infra red cameras and monitors" Asda just use Fuji Frontier gear and surely many labs use similar....aslo dev by DIY guys is very simple if you can still buy Kodak and Fuji chemicals and don't need anything else expensive....what makes the difference usually is scanning and that is the main complaint with Asda as they tend to over sharpen at times when it doesn't need it e.g. when using a sharp lens on a contrasty subject.

Last edited:
I mean see the films lift from bath to bath even though it's pitch dark. No rotary transport or spirals.

As many labs use machines (maybe not the top labs) an interesting read from APUG dated 2012:-

I have been involved in wholesale and retail film processing since 1979 and have used a range of film processors. Most mini lab film processors are usualy leader card fed and not roller processors.

The differance is that on a leader card fed processor, the film is butt spliced onto a plastic leader card (using special sticky tape). the card has sprocket holes, usualy running down the middle of it.

The card and film is then loaded into the processor feed section and the lid closed. The processor transport is started, (again usualy automaticly when the sensor "sees" the leader card). The film is then pulled through the processor by the leader card, as it engages with the rubber teeth sprockets of the drive belt.

Now this is the part a lot of people get confussed about. On any leader card fed processor I have ever used, the only part of the machine that touches the film is the guide rollers and because of their concave shape the only part of the film touched by the roller is the film edge (outside the picture area on 120 or outside the sprocket holes on 35mm). Because all rollers are moving at same speed as the film they are unlikely to cause a scratch.

However if the machine is poorly maintained you might get a scratch from the exit roller on the dryer, but again I have never seen this happen.

On all minilab film processors I have used, the chemicals are automaticly replenished per volumn of film processed. If no new chemical is available for the processor it will alarm and shut itself down to prevent any further films being processed. If the level of chemical should drop in the tanks (due to evaporation or low volumns) the machine will alarm and stop processing any further films. If circulation filters get clogged and not replaced again the machine will alarm. Remenber these machines are fairly sophisticated. It is usualy poorly maintained machines that cause the problems, things like no rep pump output calibration and no cross over racks washed each night are the most common problems.

I have seen scratches from dip & dunk processed films and the scratch was caused by poor film handling after it was processed.

So in my opinion it is usualy poor handling of the film post processing that caused most of the problems.

This is exactly it Brian, I've had too many films that look like they've been dragged across the floor and I'm not sure their chemicals are that fresh when their throughput is often very small.

Like I said, fine for test films, not fine for anything I care about. Your experience may differ.

This is exactly it Brian, I've had too many films that look like they've been dragged across the floor and I'm not sure their chemicals are that fresh when their throughput is often very small.

Like I said, fine for test films, not fine for anything I care about. Your experience may differ.

Would be interesting if someone would actually use two films from the same batch, shots of the same subject and conditions etc then have one dev at a good Asda and the other a lab (even a top lab that probably wouldn't use a m\c)...then use the enarger to do two prints to see if there was any difference.
Also most of my posted shots are dev and scanned at Asda and I don't mind if anyone criticises them if they think they are rubbish (not the subject).

Last edited:
The royal mail also do a good job of damaging films as well. Most of mine from AG had roller marks and dents as the film envelope wasn't butch enough to cope. The ilford ones are much better or their path to me isn't so fraught with machines.

I rung up my local Asda that does film but the person that answered the phone sounded so dim I never took it there. There is another local place in a chemist but it's a pain as there is nothing to do for the hour. They are quite good but she didn't cut the film. She just snaked it up into an envelope. Never used the machine before apparently but the results were actually pretty good. Their scanners are far worse than the minolta I have so I don't get them scanned at the same time.

Max is usually dreadful. They drag the films all over the floor or get fingerprints on it.

35mm I'd probably just send to Ilford. If I were any good at medium format I'd send that to UKfilm lab I think. Fortunately I'm rubbish so Ilford get that as well so I save a fortune.

I could do with a desktop mini lab and dryer. Can't be faffed even with daylight tanks. I'm too lazy for film I think now!

The royal mail also do a good job of damaging films as well. Most of mine from AG had roller marks and dents as the film envelope wasn't butch enough to cope. The ilford ones are much better or their path to me isn't so fraught with machines.

I rung up my local Asda that does film but the person that answered the phone sounded so dim I never took it there. There is another local place in a chemist but it's a pain as there is nothing to do for the hour. They are quite good but she didn't cut the film. She just snaked it up into an envelope. Never used the machine before apparently but the results were actually pretty good. Their scanners are far worse than the minolta I have so I don't get them scanned at the same time.

Max is usually dreadful. They drag the films all over the floor or get fingerprints on it.

35mm I'd probably just send to Ilford. If I were any good at medium format I'd send that to UKfilm lab I think. Fortunately I'm rubbish so Ilford get that as well so I save a fortune.

I could do with a desktop mini lab and dryer. Can't be faffed even with daylight tanks. I'm too lazy for film I think now!

Not sure how the Fuji dev m\c works for drying the negs as the girls at Adsa just hang the negs by the machine.....well if they are wet and left out in the open to dry that would cause a dust problem...if the negs are dry, you would think the scanning m\c would be designed with a small blower before\while scanning. I'll have to ask the girls.

Had a chat with the Asda girl and the dev m\c does everything inc drying so in theory there shouldn't be any spots on the neg...and scan and CD has gone up to £2, but she will put 4 films onto that CD so you would get a thumbnail print, scan and CD for 50p per film (bargain). Also as we know from the net....Photo-me were interested more in the lab business h'mm hooray...well they already have a passport booth there.....and by the end of June will know if there is a definate takeover. Also surprised Asda actually don't own the m\cs..

Well it looks as though my local ASDA have stopped developing already, when I visited yesterday with a hanfull of films the film shop was in darkness and notice at the entrance stated Out of Oder. So I recon that will be it in Dumbarton shame really it was a good service for test films in bargain buy cameras.

Well it looks as though my local ASDA have stopped developing already, when I visited yesterday with a hanfull of films the film shop was in darkness and notice at the entrance stated Out of Oder. So I recon that will be it in Dumbarton shame really it was a good service for test films in bargain buy cameras.

Well unless a photographer is very experienced or even say an decent amateur taking the same passport type shots in the same conditions.......then every film sent to the most expensive lab is a test film as can any of us say that 100% of our shots have no faults. :oops: :$

Well unless a photographer is very experienced or even say an decent amateur taking the same passport type shots in the same conditions.......then every film sent to the most expensive lab is a test film as can any of us say that 100% of our shots have no faults. :oops: :$

Oh dear, it seems my comments are not welcome if you are going to pick argumnts with me on a basis bit of information regarding the title of the thread. However I will just reply quickly reply to you before I bugger off.

Brian, you really should not think others abilities are as limited as your own.

Please read again my post, I said test films in bargain buy cameras, I would think that you would see that and understand the context of a test film, seems not, wonder what that says about you. Now your forum pals can all wade in and give me a good doing......

Bye........

Seems it's not only Asda who are abandoning in-store photo stuff. Our local Sainsbury's (Pinhoe, Exeter) had a photo corner but it's now boarded round. I suppose it might be for refurbishment but I wouldn't put more than a quid on it!

Last film I had D&Ped came back grainier than a shingle beach and scratched down the whole length of the film. Not been into that national chemist since so don't know if they still do D&P.

Oh dear, it seems my comments are not welcome if you are going to pick argumnts with me on a basis bit of information regarding the title of the thread. However I will just reply quickly reply to you before I bugger off.

Brian, you really should not think others abilities are as limited as your own.

Please read again my post, I said test films in bargain buy cameras, I would think that you would see that and understand the context of a test film, seems not, wonder what that says about you. Now your forum pals can all wade in and give me a good doing......

Bye........

Well I'm an Asda fanboy and your wording suggest all they are good for is dev and scanning film found in bargain buy cameras and better if you had left that bit out or rephrased it and I wouldn't be upset o_O :D

Last edited:
To be fair though Brian he's right. I've never had particularly good scans from Asda but they are what they are. The nearest to me with photo dev service is a 15 minute drive but they're the fastest turnaround hence I also see them as a good place for test rolls.

The last dev/scan I had from Peak gave similar results but that was the smallest scan size on a half frame roll so I didn't really expect them to be amazing but it's easier for me to drop a roll of film in the post on the way to work than drive to Asda and wait around.

Last edited:
To be fair though Brian he's right. I've never had particularly good scans from Asda but they are what they are. The nearest to me with photo dev service is a 15 minute drive but they're the fastest turnaround hence I also see them as a good place for test rolls.

The last dev/scan I had from Peak gave similar results but that was the smallest scan size on a half frame roll so I didn't really expect them to be amazing but it's easier for me to drop a roll of film in the post on the way to work than drive to Asda and wait around.

Well maybe I was a bit naughty with Andrew and if he is still reading..... I appologise (y)

Whether you use Asda for all your C41, or just for testing, I think it will be a real loss if they disappear. I use three different Asda stores and all do a pretty good job, significantly better than the three branches of Snappy Snaps I tried and cheaper. I send my important stuff to AG, but still like having the quick availability of Asda. I guess we are in a watch this space period.

Whether you use Asda for all your C41, or just for testing, I think it will be a real loss if they disappear. I use three different Asda stores and all do a pretty good job, significantly better than the three branches of Snappy Snaps I tried and cheaper. I send my important stuff to AG, but still like having the quick availability of Asda. I guess we are in a watch this space period.

Well I think most people judge an Asda scan as it is an not what it could be …..if you are not worried about the cost or don’t mind waiting for days or have loads of winners, then always use a good lab with high resolution scans.
If you except the Asda m\c can develop a roll of film the same as most labs then you have negs that can be used in the darkroom for £2 and it takes about 25 mins to do (when they are not busy).

But for me to be worthy of using a good lab, a roll of 24 exp would take me months to get through, so coming back to Asda (my one) even a Epson V750 can’t beat a Fuji Frontier m\c for detail and also those unscannable frames, the Asda Fuji Frontier has no problem (well you get a better result). How do I know? Well once I had some prints done of a scene and really liked a particular one so thought I’d scan it with the V750 and even using Photoshop I just couldn’t equal the print…it was one of those unscannable negs where you alter one colour and it effects\ruins the other colours and could never get it right. Ok an expert could probably have solved it but what’s the point of using film if you have to spend ages on the scanner and computer.

So after years know exactly how the Asda scanning m\c is set up which is too bright, and on some shots over sharpening shows, also the shadows lack detail. Well on loading the CD I can see the shots that are erm never going to be winners and in a few minutes in Photoshop know how to adjust the better shots and also know the Asda 1800 X 1240px scan is good for up to A4 prints. Also if you did need to show more shadow it take seconds to adjust in PS.

And if you ever get a great winning shot then send the neg off to a good lab and get a 16 X 12 print done (which my son did).

Many of my Tesco and Asda done shots are on http://s304.photobucket.com/user/chakrata/library/smaller pixels for forums?sort=3&page=1

The good, bad and ugly and testing lenses, etc many shots are taken with OOD film (up to 8 years) and if you think they are crap it doesn't matter because I like them ;)

Last edited:
Film is now a niche market, accept it.

Digital cameras are mainstream, but printing is becoming niche even from the digital world.

There is a misperception around the resurgence of vinyl, but it's not true. Look at the high street record shops. Digital download is the way to go.

h'mm I meant vinyl records is for the few.....same as film.

Back