All in one PCs

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

Looking to purchase an All In One (PC). Just want something to run PS and LR, don't need bells and whistles, is minimum ram 4GB to run such programs?

Any brands to avoid?

Thanks!

Pretty much all computers will run PS and LR, memory is extremely important though or processing photos will be unbearably slow and you won't be able to run more than 2 programs at the same time, a decent sized hard drive is important too, especially if you take RAW images, most important is the monitor, look for one that gives a great resolution and the best true colours. CPU isn't important or gfx cards unless doing 3d graphics or video work.

All-in-one's are basically laptops built behind a screen: conveniently tidy, but generally underpowered compared to an equivalent desktop machine and with reduced upgradability. Also when it's time to replace the computer you have to throw away the monitor as well as the computer.

That said, the spec I'd recommend (for laptop or all-in-one) would be i5 quad core with 8GB RAM (16GB may help future-proof a little though) and minimum 256GB SSD for the operating system. On-board graphics are usually OK for LR and PS (neither use very much graphics acceleration at the moment) and if you can find one with an additional conventional HDD around 1TB then that is advantageous too. Personally I'd look for a small-medium sized base unit of the above spec and then buy a decent quality 24"+ screen for image editing. FWIW my image computer (also my conventional work machine) is a Dell i7 quad laptop that I normally plug into an external monitor for image editing.

Brands I'd naturally avoid are Acer and Toshiba, mostly for reliability and crapware reasons.

Last edited:
I'm with Toni

A small form factor PC and decent quality screen would be my choice.

i quite like the concept of the all in ones, especially in a kitchen environment where you might want it very discrete, with a wireless mouse and keyb they can be very cool and easy to live with.
but as above realy i would recommend a decent laptop and an external screen at a push or a small form factor PC

Thanks for that. So 8 GB should see LR running and able to edit RAWs well enough?

I'm a bit of novice in this area so apologies for the basic questions!

This day and age 16GB is the sensible minimum. 32GB if you want it to last for a little longer.

I ran 16GB for 5 years already, and my setup is nothing too expensive.

I only have 4gb RAM in my old all in one which works well enough, now that I have replaced the drive with a SSD

4GB is enough for lightroom alone and 8GB likely OK for LR + PS unless you're handling gargantuan files - generally the limitations of processing and internal data transfer will be more of a bottleneck. 16GB is a reasonable amount to ask in a new machine to give a degree of future proofing for photo work, but if you do video stuff then more might be useful.

Back