All new to me!

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello to the film forum :)
Basically I'm stepping out of my digital comfort zone and am going to have a go at film photography :) I inherited from my granddad the following kit:
  • Canon A1
  • Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
  • Sigma Super-Wide 24mm f/2.8
  • Tamron SP 35-80mm f/2.8-3.8
  • Canon FD 70-210mm f/4

So as this is all completely new to me I was wondering if you could help shed some light on the kit and some tips and pointers to get me started :)

Thanks

Adam

Welcome to the light side :LOL:

The Canon A1 is a multi mode camera, I think the first one Canon ddid that mad Manual, Program, Aperture and Shutter Priority.

If you dont have one then Click me to find a manual

As for film many people round her use stuff from Asda, Tesco and it is probable the best and cheapest thing to do.

There are a couple of people on here who have them but not sure if they still use them CT :cautious: ;)

Stick some film in and stick it on Program mode and way you go.

The lenses except for the Canon fd 70-210 f4 are very good, the Canon zoom is just an OK lens IMO (but you might have a good copy)....how do I know? Well I have them all.
So all you need to do is buy some Fuji Superia 200asa film for starters, then take your shots, then find a large Tesco and get them developed and put on a CD for £1.98, then just post your best shots here for comments.

There's also a very good run-down of the A1 and Canon FD lenses, including an online version of the manual here

Step 1, before you do anything else: check the battery ;)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, so it seems I've got some good lens' then? :)
I got some Ilford XP2 400 black and white film from a friend for free, so have that loaded in for my first lot :)
Going on holiday to Spain tomorrow, so will return (hopefully) with a few images worth posting :D

Way to go - gerrafilminnit and get out there (y)

The lenses except for the Canon fd 70-210 f4 are very good, the Canon zoom is just an OK lens IMO (but you might have a good copy)....how do I know? Well I have them all.
So all you need to do is buy some Fuji Superia 200asa film for starters, then take your shots, then find a large Tesco and get them developed and put on a CD for £1.98, then just post your best shots here for comments.

Maybe I got lucky, but my copy of the 70-210 f4 is an excellent lens - certainly far better than the alternative canon 75-200 f3.5-4.5 which has the sole virtue of being a bit smaller/lighter. The 50mm 1.8 is a nice enough lens, though the 50mm 1.4 SSC is worth getting hold of if you find one at a sensible price. As for the body, the A-1 is a belting little camera, and providing it doesn't have the dreaded shutter release cough should be pretty much spot on!

Thanks for yet more replies :) Can't wait to get out, I'm already enjoying the amount of thinking going into one photo over just clicking away with my digital! :D Can't wait to get my first film developed, although I am also dreading it :p

***Maybe I got lucky, but my copy of the 70-210 f4 is an excellent lens***

On mine...the macro is quite good, but it's not great at the 210 end, but I've never forgiven the lens for when I first used it at a wedding and got unsharp results.

I'm already enjoying the amount of thinking going into one photo over just clicking away with my digital! :D Can't wait to get my first film developed, although I am also dreading it :p

My father used to have Christmas, Easter and summer holidays on one roll of film. :LOL:

Hello to the film forum :)
Basically I'm stepping out of my digital comfort zone and am going to have a go at film photography :) I inherited from my granddad the following kit:
  • Canon A1
  • Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
  • Sigma Super-Wide 24mm f/2.8
  • Tamron SP 35-80mm f/2.8-3.8
  • Canon FD 70-210mm f/4

So as this is all completely new to me I was wondering if you could help shed some light on the kit and some tips and pointers to get me started :)

Thanks...Adam

the prices of FD lens on eBay are extremely low
should you wish to go "all Canon", the Sigma and the Tamron can be replaced for peanuts

the Canon 35-70mm is a lovely lens
I just today bought a mint 135mm FD too

Enjoy - and hope to see some shots when you can....(y)

the prices of FD lens on eBay are extremely low
should you wish to go "all Canon", the Sigma and the Tamron can be replaced for peanuts

the Canon 35-70mm is a lovely lens
I just today bought a mint 135mm FD too

Enjoy - and hope to see some shots when you can....(y)

I did look on ebay and notice that, but I'm going to snap some photos before I buy any lens' etc, see if i can catch the film bug :p

***the Canon 35-70mm is a lovely lens***

Well in IMO the f3.5-4.5 is Plastic crap....Sp Tamron or even Kiron 28-70 is better. I've only the Canon breech lock 135 f3.5 and it's a very good lens.

FWIW I always shot with primes when the A1 was new and I could only afford an AV-1.

I still only use primes with the A1 I have today.

One of the nicest FD lens I've used (it was on the AE-1 when it was nicked :() was the 35-105 f3.5 macro. Weighs near on the same as the 70-210, Mahoosive front element on it, and sells for stupidly high amounts or i'd have bought one already...

Well, may have already seen them in the show yer shots thread, but thought I may as well whack them in here, taken with a variety of the lens', here's a few of the 'keepers' that I'm happy with :)

4878399455_0a1a4c877d_z.jpg

4879008584_739319b538_z.jpg

4879008494_98ba5405ff_z.jpg

4879008632_746f7d8951_z.jpg

4878399275_91536b31ac_z.jpg

4879324256_c956459e2b_z.jpg

Adam

Last edited:
Back