All purpose zoom lens for Sony e mount

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

After using primes for a long time I find I really need a zoom for the versatility but I can't afford the Zeiss lenses. I do mostly portrait work. I like to be able to go wide to 35mm and zoom in to 100mm at least. Also there is no affordable AF prime of 85mm or more for Sony e mount. I don't care much about shooting very wide. I don't mind the widest aperture being more then 2.8 as long as the telephoto end goes over 100. I am thinking about bokeh. Some optical stabilization would be very useful.

So I was looking at the Sony 18-105 and now I noticed a Tamron 18-200 for APSC for almost the same price. Do non-kit lens APSC lenses do better on crop cameras than a full frame one? I am using a Sony A6000. The Tamron is variable aperture but lets in a little more light. Any thoughts or other options? I know the sharpness will not be like my primes at all but I think I am ready to compromise. I am missing so many shots due to not having a zoom and I end up also cropping too much some of the shots taken with the primes which in itself means losing quality.

Cheers!

Back