All these snowboard photos made me want to post one...

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
2293164965_6d4c853811_o.jpg

Matt - Tailpress

Some more of my images from this session are on Fear of the Park

It was taken at Tamworth snowdome, the light in the is cr@p high ISO and f2.8 still gives 1/60th (with flash), I think I need to under expose by a stop and use the flash to get the light, only way to get the shutter speed down...

1/60 is very slow, my minolta sometimes selects it when I'm using flash but the max sync speed is1/160. Find out the sync speed of your camera and set the shutter speed to that to make sure you get less blur. You might lose some of the ambient lighting if you're already shooting atF2.8 but it'll be better than the bluring you have at the minute.

Cheers, I know the Flash sync is 1/250th, so will give that a try next time. 2 stops under is going to be pretty dark though...

Unless I'm much mistaken, shutter speed makes little difference to exposure of a subject when using flash? Shutter speed makes a difference only for ambient light and background exposure, whereas the flash light is all instant.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, people!

You're bang on th money but this at F2.8 and 1/60 this shot will be a combination of ambient light and flash. Increasing to 1/250 will make the background darker but if you still shoot at 2.8 you'll probably find the flash will illuminate the background in this instance too (although it won't be lit as much as the snowboarder. You might find that there is a happy medium between 1/60 and 1/250.

Tamworth isn't too far from me now, I wouldn't mind giving this a try some time.

Cheers for the advice, next time I'm shooting snowboarding is even nearer to you - Swadlincote dry slope! They have an event there on the 15th March.

Might pop down if I'm not in work.

Back