All things horticultural photo & discussion thread.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Post everything horticultural here. Apart from @Carl Hall who already has his own home grown thread

Last edited:
Nice photo brings back memories.
I remember my dad had one of these back in the 70's you had to push a piece of metal against the spark plug to stop it running.

In the old days our local council dump...the guys used to keep all the good stuff seperately and earn spare cash selling them and my father and me used to buy many mowers, as a hobby, very cheap, get them working and try them out to use as my father was also a working gardener. Now I saw a lovely wheel barrow in one of those giant skips and the guy wouldn't sell it to me, same for a nice mountain bike etc etc.
So when all this stuff is finally dumped at some site they have the pickings and probably end up at bootsales. :( erm a grumpy southerner :D

Well Brian I can't comment on them southern tips but the Crewe site keep any working items (that are safe and in good condition) and they donate them to charity. They raised nearly £10k last year.

Went out this morning to prick out some lettuce, hit a rock, half an hour later I was planting lettuce with a pick axe
View attachment 280171

View attachment 280172

(appologies if digital and even more heretical "phone" shots are not allowed :coat:)
I think you'll find that's a mattock, not a pickaxe. :pompous: Unless of course that flat blade isn't as wide as it appears due to your use of a nasty digital camera. ;)

Last edited:
I think you'll find that's a mattock, not a pickaxe. :pompous: Unless of course that flat blade isn't as wide as it appears due to your use of a nasty digital camera. ;)
Nope, that's my medium sized pick axe but I do also have a mattock, mattocks don't have a point, they have a chisel and a a blade.

Nope, that's my medium sized pick axe but I do also have a mattock, mattocks don't have a point, they have a chisel and a a blade.
That's just the chisel blade type mattock, others have a wide-ish blade and a point. A pickaxe usually has a point and a narrow chisel. :pompous: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIYARTS-Ma...8KMC5CAW7E7&psc=1&refRID=00NMXVWQ48KMC5CAW7E7

And don't even start me on the pronunciation of scone, and whether it's cream or jam first! ;)

PS Banter aside, you've done a good job with it, and you were lucky no bits flew off and broke the glass on that greenhouse.

Last edited:
Cream first, all the way! (However, I prefer butter...)

Ideally, yes but the Tiptree jam made with the tiny strawberries will do nicely as well!

I'll have a dig around (almost back on topic...) for some old film flower shots, sure I've got some somewhere.

I've just had a look though some old photos and found these horticulture themed ones. They're scans from prints, the negs are around somewhere but I gave up looking!

This was our old veg garden (around 38 years ago - how quickly time passes), with the onion bed in the foreground. Eventually my father and I realised it was becoming unmanageable for us while working full time, so we gave up and grassed it over.

Onion bed in foreground, with a block of sweetcorn in the far bed and the marrow patch top left, with the plants hardening off after starting under polythene to protect from late frosts.

And one of the marrows ready for the local pub marrow competition.

Last edited:
They are still coming through :eek: and I can only echo the famous words of Henry II "Will no one rid me of these troublesome raspberry runners" o_O

To make a full size football pitch!?!? That's one big garden you have (or had) there!
It was my parent's house (cottage), it was about an acre in all (50% paddock and veg garden and 50% formal and a small orchard) It was a lovely garden, but a lot of work as they got older, so they sold it about 12 years ago. Happy memories though.

Haven't found any old film flower shots but have just remembered the first "photograph" I ever developed. I have put photograph in quotes because it wasn't really an image, unless you count a silhouette of a cut out letter an image! As a science experiment at the age of somewhere between 7 and 13 (probably 11-12), we clipped letter cut outs onto leaves and left them to be "exposed" for a week, after which we processed the leaves in an iodine (?) solution to show where photosynthesis had taken place and where it hadn't.

Strange what an aging brane can drag up after 45+ years!!!

Just a snap to show my peppers..... canon 20mm, filmdev low scan, Vista 200. One variety of grapes are turning black and am enjoying picking them off (y)
Ec6zHKX.jpg

My new built area for burning stuff...I've had flames reaching 3ft about the wall so have to stand by with a hose pipe esp for smouldering bits dropping onto the compost heap :eek:
There was a programme on tv about dangers in the home in Tudor times and one was exploding bricks in the fire place :eek: Lets hope these ordinary bricks continual to take the heat.

CnXylVa.jpg

Last edited:
Part of the garden, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, Yashica FR-1 (Kodacolor VR Plus 100), Vivitar 19/3.8, Spring 198?...

016_JPEG5.jpg

And produce, Yashica FR1. 35/2.8 ML, Fujichrome, Autumn 1982...

BOB_VEG_JPEG5.jpg

Just like Mr Badger said, it was unmangeable for someone working full time. I bought the house from a retired farmer. He tought me to turn the whole vegetable patch over early in the year, that was hard work, let me tell you. We also had a big asparagus bed and a good sized green house.

Part of the garden, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, Yashica FR-1 (Kodacolor VR Plus 100), Vivitar 19/3.8, Spring 198?...

View attachment 286062

And produce, Yashica FR1. 35/2.8 ML, Fujichrome, Autumn 1982...

View attachment 286063

Just like Mr Badger said, it was unmangeable for someone working full time. I bought the house from a retired farmer. He tought me to turn the whole vegetable patch over early in the year, that was hard work, let me tell you. We also had a big asparagus bed and a good sized green house.

Wow lovely place with lots of space.

Back