Daily AllFallD0wn's 365 project!

Here's a fairly mammoth update (5 days worth). University internet is being a bit flaky (surprise surprise), but let's see if I can get this done before 12!

tumblr_lxw1yaYv8W1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 11 - Laziness

I haven’t done much recently. I’ve also not been bothered to shave for a week, so I thought this abstract-ish thing was something I’ve never really done before..

tumblr_lxw27qC3LU1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 12 - Sonic the Hedgehog

Been having some fun remembering old times playing this game.

tumblr_lxw2ffMUng1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 13 - Junk or Treasure?

A shot of our “storage room”, which was half turned into a gaming room last year, but then quickly reverted to being a “storage” room. It’s full of books, computers, and other random stuff. Some people might see junk in it, but there’s some pretty good stuff in there, too!

tumblr_lxw2gp5eqI1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 14 - Packing.

As always, I left it til the last minute to pack. Luckily, I got it done just in time! Here’s a box of consoles for your enjoyment. Points for whoever names all of them ;)

tumblr_lxw2l03mEO1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 15 - I’m Heeere!

Back at University. Can’t wait to launch into the next semester!

Today's update is still to come. Hopefully it won't be a high-ISO snap this time:bonk:

tumblr_lxxwk8IQsG1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 16 - Life

Back to Univeristy means back to Magic: The Gathering games that go on for a while. This is the dice which measures your life count.

Taken with flash mounted to the camera and aimed to the left of the subject, so it bounced back onto the subject. Still learning with the flash, really.

Some interesting stuff since the last update I like Day 15 the most personally, but have you considered flipping the image in PP :thinking:

Matt

I hadn't really :LOL: Will try asap, but time now is mostly focused on exam tomorrow :thumbsdown:

tumblr_lxzxyvw9m61r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 17 - Camera Phone?

Forgot to put my SD card in my camera, so had to grab a shot on my phone, which is pretty dire quality. This is my friend, James..in Toys R Us..looking at My Little Ponies. We’re cool…

tumblr_ly02k5NJOq1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 18 - Revising for a Degree with an A-Level Book

Oh the irony. I finished A-Levels last year, and am now revising the same things I was tested on a year ago for my degree..using the same materials. Huge sense of Deja Vu, but hopefully this means I’ll get a good grade (I got an A in the A-Level Exam, so here's hoping!).

Also in shot : Milburn playing on Zune, Empty Mountain Dew, Phone, Magic Cards, Badly cloned-out-skype

tumblr_ly2kj4IvbE1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 19 - Believe in Sherlock Holmes

The Believe in Sherlock campaign is now officially go at Hull University!

tumblr_ly4cgkkbsB1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 20 - Doesn't It Look Pretty At Night?

This is our University Union. I think it looks pretty nice all lit up :)
Took this before "an evening with Lord Prescott". Although I don't study Politics, I have quite an interest in it, and John Prescott is one of my favourite politicians, so I jumped at the opportunity for an hour and a half of Q&A. A pretty good turnout for the event, and it was a great night!

I took this pretty low to enhance the colours, but had to shoot at ISO 400, so quality is a bit "meh" (even more so after uploading to tumblr...)

I have to say I do think that Hull uni looks good at night, I had the pleasure of working an evening at my local uni with my brother in law the other week and have to say it's the first time I found my home town to look good at night (y)

I hope that your exam has gone well (y)

Matt

I have to say I do think that Hull uni looks good at night, I had the pleasure of working an evening at my local uni with my brother in law the other week and have to say it's the first time I found my home town to look good at night (y)

I hope that your exam has gone well (y)

Matt

Haha! Sheffield looks quite nice at night. They have lots of light up things. The lights on the uni keep changing color as well, so you can pick different things out with different colors.

Thanks a lot for the exam. I'm not too worried. I think I need something like 22% to pass the module, and everything after is profit, so I'm fairly confident on getting a decent mark.

tumblr_ly5xsiAi6t1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 21 - Polar Bear!

Went to the Maritime Museum in Hull today. Had a great time, so this is a skeleton of a Polar Bear for you all!

Extreme low lighting, so ISO 800, with a good dollop of HDR for goodness :)

(It was also in a glass cabinet..)

tumblr_ly9363DI201r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 22 - The Morning after the Night Before

We had a good night on Saturday. Sherlock marathon, with drinking. Needless to say, Sunday was a day of recovery, and so I wasn’t feeling very up to taking photos. This is trying to re-create what it felt like on Saturday night. Hope you like it!

Lots of dust bunnies died in the process of editing this photo. Maybe I need to buy a rocket blower thing..

:LOL: I get what you were going for with 22 felt that a few times, especially after a close friends wedding last year, where she had me on the family table and I ended up twisted beyond belief :puke:

As to the bunnies kill them! kill them all :LOL: I need to get a new blower as have some issues and I think I lost my last one on a night shoot last year :bang:

Matt

Matt

tumblr_ly9uheRlmv1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 23 - Rest

So today was pretty good. Got woken up by the fire alarm test, and then went straight back to sleep, so I missed breakfast. A quick trip up to Cottingham to stock up on supplies left me £5.08 poorer, but having lots of food. The most expensive thing I bought was bread for 53p!

:LOL: I get what you were going for with 22 felt that a few times, especially after a close friends wedding last year, where she had me on the family table and I ended up twisted beyond belief :puke:

As to the bunnies kill them! kill them all :LOL: I need to get a new blower as have some issues and I think I lost my last one on a night shoot last year :bang:

Matt

Matt

:LOL: I got into bed at about 4am on Sunday, too spinny to sleep, so started watching an episode of something. Next thing I remember, it's 10:30 and my computer's on, and I can't remember why. Just bought a tiny softbox to try out, so a rocket-blower will be bought when I go into town, I reckon!

Just taken another look at Day 23 and tried it in B&W...which version do you guys think is better?

tumblr_ly9v1qzfCN1r9tafto1_500.jpg

tumblr_lybrtqFGtw1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 24 - HackMii!

So today, I did something I've been meaning to do for a while and opened my Wii up to the wonders of homebrew. My desk now has a few Wii peripherals scattered over it, along with my much-used soup bowl. (Cuppa soup, obviously!)

Made the colours pop a bit with an S curve, and converted to JPEG. Shot with flash bounced off the ceiling at 1/8 (Think I'm really getting the hang of flash now)

tumblr_lydjybabO31r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 25 - Small Collection

This is just part of a small collection of games I own. Mostly for the Wii, but also for the Spectrum, Gamecube, SNES and Megadrive.

Gave a slight S-Curve to this, a slight straighten, and the flash was on 1/32 power, bounced off the top of the shelf

Great use of flash in 25 (y) and some really nice colours, and there's me thinking students when to study at Uni :LOL: :naughty: actually I can remember how much I partied at college and now wish that I'd done the whole uni thing so fair play (y)

Matt

Great use of flash in 25 (y) and some really nice colours, and there's me thinking students when to study at Uni :LOL: :naughty: actually I can remember how much I partied at college and now wish that I'd done the whole uni thing so fair play (y)

Matt

:LOL: Last 2 weeks have been exam weeks, and I've only had 1, so it's kinda been a bit slow. I'm interested to see what happens to my photos as I start going to uni every day again..We'll find out Monday, I guess ;)

tumblr_lygg71ixJJ1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 26 - End of Exams

Last night was all about end of exams, films and a good dash of alcohol. Good night.

Bonus points if you can spot the film (I took it at quite a hard point to guess..)

tumblr_lyhgk921Xn1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 27 - Reading

Recently I've been reading Stephen King's latest book, 11/22/63. It's a really good read so far, and I highly recommend it to any time travel or JFK conspiracy fan (I'm both). I've also started reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes books (which are absolutely massive, but give me another half a year and I might have finished!)

Shot with flash bounced off the ceiling at 1/8 to light it (The flashgun has REALLY been a good investment)

tumblr_lyithyHr9R1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 28 - Green Ginger

Went into town today, and found the most amazing, quirky cafe ever. It's called Green Ginger, because it's on a street called "Land of Green Ginger", but it's just fabulous. The tea was great, and everything about it was great!

I think I did pretty well here, considering the lighting was poor, and I was holding the camera at 1/10 sec

tumblr_lykujhQPSw1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 29 - Rehydration

Lots of this was required this morning to rehydrate me. We went out to the pub last night and had a fair few drinks to bring in the new Semester!

Back to University tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see where this project goes in the campus!

tumblr_lyn08h7e6n1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 30 - This time exists?!

Wow. Waking up at this time was certainly a shock to the system, but nevertheless I’ve had a good day. Found out Microsoft’s Rewards Scheme is only running for another 5 days, so I’ve rushed a couple of apps in to try and get some points to at least get something out of it. Couldn’t stretch to 4, for a Lumia, unfortunately. Ah well, give it a few months ;)

Tom ^ Didn't really think of that. Probably would have worked better. Thanks for the comment :)

tumblr_lypxtwoJ0C1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 31 - Already?!

Didn't have anything at Uni today, so I took advantage of that with a lie-in. It'll be my last until Saturday. Might as well make the most of the opportunity! Got this lovely text, though. Didn't realise it was that time already. The year seems to have flown away.

tumblr_lyqfaccZOC1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 32 - Orange Book

Had an introductory lecture for a new module today, and we were told to go and pick up the lecture notes book after the lecture. I don’t think the Computer Science department knew what hit them with 100 students cramming into the 3rd floor of the building to pick up these Orange Books. Still, it’ll go nice with my (already collected for different modules) yellow, blue, and cream books!

tumblr_lyth770bzS1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 33 - What could go wrong?

So, I got my photo taken yesterday, edited, what could go wrong? I close lightroom before it's exported and delete the tif..great. Then the internet went down for the rest of the day, so I couldn't even upload this.

Here's what we do at uni for half the day. Play magic!

tumblr_lyv52kJt391r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 34 - Bit of Snow

Sorry for the late upload again. Had a couple of lectures yesterday, but spent most of my day trying to figure out the mystic world of android development, which is a darn side harder than it should be. Probably because there are no good tutorials telling you how to use all the methods, but hey ho. Also I went to see a Clash tribute band last night..they weren't that good, but I think we had a good time even so.

The place that had them has a Genesis tribute band coming, and I got very excited until I found out it's in the holidays, so I won't be going to see them :(

Stupidly, I didn't check ISO when taking photos yesterday morning (I'd just woken up..) and it was still at 800 after being inside for day 33. Win some, you lose some.

tumblr_lyvr2uDAmk1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 35 - Frozen!

Into Hull again today, and I was greeted with this. The fountain near the centre of town was frozen over, and still spewing water out! Had to take a photo. As you can see, it's been very dull today. Lots of greys and wind. Not nice weather, really. We went into the art gallery, and there was an exhibition by photographer Colin Gray (http://www.colingray.net/), called "In Sickness and in Health", which was really fascinating and moving.

The photos were displayed on a circular wall, which led you around, throughout 10 years of his mothers illness, resulting in her death. There were no signs explaining the photographs, he left you to draw your own conclusions, which added to the whole thing. It was extremely well done, and, if you have a chance to see it (closes on the 26th February), then please do. It also shows some of his other work, from when his parents were younger, which is extremely impressive, and makes great use of lighting.

tumblr_lyxnrugjxn1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 36 - Bear Explosion!

Today was the day after it snowed a LOT, and of course, we were all outside making the most of it. That means everyone throwing snowballs, and me dodging them with a camera! Great fun. Got quite a few photos of everyone, but this is probably my favourite! (Aside from Jack eating snow)

Also got a new lens on eBay, and I can't wait for it to arrive :D I've been wanting more depth for a while (being locked to 18-50mm), but now I have 18-50 + 70-300!

Last edited:
tumblr_lyznfyZ4DP1r9tafto1_500.jpg

Day 37 - Grim Morning

Today started off a bit grim, with fog descending upon Hull - suiting for my first thing maths lecture, and from then on it was just lecture after lecture, with a bit of Kinect fun thrown in!

I'm pleased that you've got a new lens on the way it's always fun to get a new lens to play with :woot:

Perfect timing on 36 (y) and I like 37 though I suspect that your local tourist board may not like it :LOL:

Matt

Back