weekly alltaken's 52 project for 2013 - Week 14 & 15 added!

Hi Steven

Tacky....i'm a sucker for cuddly toys & Elvis was /is the King...so can't agree on it being tacky :LOL: Do like the lighting & the sharpness

Value...edited version is spot on , good use of DOF , sharper than a sharp thing (y)

An early entry this time. :D

My original submission was going to be a petrol forecourt, with the pumps blurred out and the (very high) pricing on the billboard sharp.

Try as I might, I could only get a partial price on the digital billboard to display on my picture, so very frustrated, I gave up and went home. I'm guessing the lights on them blink at a very fast rate invisible to the human eye but not to the camera lens and that you need a very slow shutter speed to have them display on the photo?

As a back up, I came up with the rather obvious:

Grasping Greed.

Week 15 - Greed by alltaken2012, on Flickr

As I was tidying away the coins, I had a thought about how amassing money / greed is almost a religion for some people, and this was the result.

Religion of Lucre.

Week 15 - Greed by alltaken2012, on Flickr

Last edited:
crop for value works well.. Cloning things out is not too tricky - start small and build up. (I even tried cloning my be-headed swan out, nearly managed it too. :LOL:)

think the lights may flicker or scroll - seem to remember one of the Alans had it with train or tram signs.... >>>>>>> here you go <<<<<<<<

Of your 2, I like the idea of the first, but the final product of the second.

If the first had more in focus, and more movement, see you've got one stack tumbling, more like this giving the impression of them being grabbed.

2nd one works well - like the wider DOF here, works better than shallow would have done IMO. Nice and sharp, and suitably lit.

Last edited:
Value - I think the crop on the first one is better, second is a bit tight. Re the cloning - I think it would definitely work, the way I'd do it is to use the bit underneath the window and literally clone over the top of the bin. It's a worthwhile skill and easy to pick up - have a mooch at this tutorial, good place to start! :)

I really like the idea of #2, also brings to mind the church's relentless aquisition of wealth over the years, while selling poverty as a virtue to it's adherents. Nicely lit too.

Steven, not sure on the Value shot; the LHS is fine, but I'm just not sure the house to the right adds anything in either version. I do prefer the cropped one of the two, though.

In the first Greed shot, the oof coins in the foreground are distracting; there's no pictorial reason for them being oof that I can see, and good reasons for them all to be in focus. On that basis I prefer the second. I'm not quite as OCD as Lynne, so don't mind the slight sloppiness; maybe the person might be saying, they may worship money, but they're human after all!

Back