Almost as new yashica mg1 needs a tinker...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a gorgeous, pretty much as-new yashica mg1. It's sort of a cheap version of the electro 35 - offshore production, f/2.8 lens with leaf shutter, seems to work the same way with a battery powered meter that indicates under or over exposure in the viewfinder.

It did work as an electro 35, but I just picked it up having not used it for a year or so and it constantly indicates under exposure, and on firing the shutter it just stays open.

Given the way these work, I am making an assumption the meter has somehow disconnected and so the shutter is powered and "thinks" I'm in a pitch black room :D

Anyone know how these are to work on? I might pick up a beaten up copy to butcher to find out, but worth asking first... :)

Other than that, this camera is a joy, but it does make me wonder if it is built quite as well internally. It also has that same "click" on winding the shutter as the electro 35 :)

Check out the Yashica Guy he’s pretty good for everything Electro related.

I know nothing about these cameras, but assume that it has a battery - take that battery out and inspect the in-camera contacts. Anything look broken? If there's any furry green staining, clean the contacts, gently! Maybe with a torn-off bit of Scotchbrite taped to the end of a matchstick with a very little WD40 or meths - improvise, but again, be gentle. If no result, try a new battery ...

Last edited:
If I remember rightly this used an odd battery something like 5v? I seem to remember a converter or addaptor as the batteries were hard to get hold of. Look up the voltage and check the battery with a meter.

I've got a battery adapter and battery, which test fine in my electro 35, hence why I think it might be a poor connection. Connections for the battery are perfectly clean - I literally believe this camera was not touched since it was purchased - just taken from the box, and maybe had a film run through.

I'll check out the yashica guy website :) but otherwise this one may need to go back on my shelf and I find a beaten up copy to tinker with.

Back