Critique Alpe di Suisi (day one of my Dolomites trip)

#2 and then #3 for me and very nice they are too. I find the contrast of the shadows on the mountains a bit too much and overall too busy on #1.

Lovely work Stephen. Oddly enough, I prefer the first for exact reasons Charles has given for making #2 his preference - the shadows. :)

Put it this way I’m keeping both. Sitting here just watching the clouds, light and world just roll by, well it was heaven and I’m counting the days until I’m back.

I have seen images of here before but went with no real idea of what I was really aiming for.

Rubbish - no reflections ;) On a more serious note, the first two are very nice with good tones and shadows, they capture the sense of scale well. Nicely done.

Really like the mid ground and mountains in 1st. I'd probably try to crop a fraction of the bottom off ( to base of dense green trees on rhs) as i'm expecting something less bland here. For me 2's a bit meeeh but 3 has real possibilities with some more pp as it feels flatter than it should imo.

Day one of the trip. This must have been a good feeling, setting the camera up, relaxing in the sun and getting some good images in the bag early on.

I really like the second one, I prefer it to the first because of the light hitting the peak on the right showing the shape off.

This is splitting hairs, and only because your stuff is so good that I mention it after reading @jerry12953 's comment...

I wouldn't change the white and black points, they are spot on. There is however a very slightly yellow cast to the image, noticeable in the sky/clouds the most. If the yellow was shifted back marginally only in the sky/clouds I feel it would cut through the hazy look without upping the contrast. I appreciate it was probably pretty warm/soft light by this point though and it's your image to change or keep as it is.

Day one of the trip. This must have been a good feeling, setting the camera up, relaxing in the sun and getting some good images in the bag early on.

I really like the second one, I prefer it to the first because of the light hitting the peak on the right showing the shape off.

This is splitting hairs, and only because your stuff is so good that I mention it after reading @jerry12953 's comment...

I wouldn't change the white and black points, they are spot on. There is however a very slightly yellow cast to the image, noticeable in the sky/clouds the most. If the yellow was shifted back marginally only in the sky/clouds I feel it would cut through the hazy look without upping the contrast. I appreciate it was probably pretty warm/soft light by this point though and it's your image to change or keep as it is.

There is and probably down to using a CPL which warmed it up slightly - if you look at the green grasses and trees you don’t see it but in the sky actually you’re right, you do. There was a slight haze and warm ness, it was summer and in Italy.

I’m not sure I mind it but leave it a few months and I could process and crop it differently.

Back