Alt. Landscape

Ham

Name
Ham
Edit My Images
Yes
Going through my neglected stuff, I can't help but try to deal with my landscapes. Now I admire and even like the images people post, but most of them are not what I look to do (at least, most of the time). That is, people produce stunning images of a technical quality that I could aspire to, often with substantial evident post processing. Sometimes it is a great image, sometimes a great evocation of mood, but that tends not to be what I look to do. I rarely set out to take landscape, they normally happen when I am visiting a location, and the prime reaction I try to achieve is to evoke the feeling of being there. Sometimes, all I achieve is a banal snapshot, but that's fine too, at least for me. Sometimes I think I might have something a little different that might work for a viewer who wasn't there. But of course, I don't really know as they don't normally get to see any of them.

So here's one from Slovenia I quite like. Taken from a height, no sky. Any use for a random viewer? Curiously the EXIF is all to cock, as it says "4.5mm", this must be at least 45mm/90 equiv. For me, it takes me right back there,

P7180737.jpg

That is, in contrast to the wide angle snapshot, although that gives the context much better. Of course, the same effect of the first cannot be created by a digital crop of the second.

P7180736.jpg

A connection to the subject is the thing for me and my own picture taking and the most banal thing to someone else might be the thing I remember. Such is life. I can enjoy other peoples picture too even if it's something that I wouldn't take myself, like birds in flight or planes.

With these two I like the first one as it avoids the white sky. I think the second could be very nice if taken in better light and with a nice sky and if I'd taken these I'd keep them both. as you say, it takes you there and I'd feel the same.

Back