Altering in camera sharpness question

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I've been messing with the settings on my Sony A6000 and noticed that I can turn up the sharpness, I got to thinking surely the camera would be set up for the best sharpness it could achieve so I'm guessing there is some type of trade off with doing this. What is the trade off ?

Probably haloing and grain/noise, depending on setting amount.

Shoot RAW and PP, forget the fancy in camera settings.

Or. if you want to stay in JPEG, play with the settings and see what settings give YOU the results YOU want.

Too little/much sharpness really depends on how you view the finished image, so a small web only image won't need the same sharpening as an A3 print for example

If you are going to apply in-camera sharpening, then just bear min mind what use the image is for; generally though, its not a good idea unless you aren't going to PP them much at all as most good PP uses selective sharpening

Holiday snaps settings for me are done as SOOC jpegs with all contrast, saturation, sharpening etc. already based on viewing them on Facebook and sod all printing :)

Dave

Too little/much sharpness really depends on how you view the finished image, so a small web only image won't need the same sharpening as an A3 print for example

If you are going to apply in-camera sharpening, then just bear min mind what use the image is for; generally though, its not a good idea unless you aren't going to PP them much at all as most good PP uses selective sharpening

Yup.

I'd always recommend shooting raw and processing for best effect but I doubt Brad wants to do this. Changing the in camera settings, taking pictures and seeing what works best for you and your subjects could work very quickly or your preference could change from subject and light to subject and light.

Years ago I got board reading about the various noise and sharpness settings in CS5 so just copied what a well known blogger recommended and have used those as a starting point ever since.

Maybe you could do the same for in camera settings Brad? Maybe you start with settings either some blogger or someone here with an A6000 suggests and take it from there?

I have the A6000, but always shoot RAW, so can't help with Jpg settings.
What I would suggest is getting hold of Gary Fieldmans E-Book on the A6000, as that goes though all the different settings and menus, and is far superior to the Sony manual.

https://www.friedmanarchives.com/sony-a6000/

Thanks for all the input everyone, really appreciated. As Alan/woof woof has said I'm Keen to try and get the best I can straight out of camera to save having to sit in front of a computer ( or time wasting device as Mrs Badger calls it) I'll have a good look at the link you provided Jonathan and see how I go.

Thanks again all.

Hello all,

I've been messing with the settings on my Sony A6000 and noticed that I can turn up the sharpness, I got to thinking surely the camera would be set up for the best sharpness it could achieve so I'm guessing there is some type of trade off with doing this. What is the trade off ?

There is no such thing as best sharpness. Many pictures look better with low sharpness. Portraits of women are appreciated more with low sharpness - you can get portrait lenses that are designed to not be very sharp (aka soft focus). Ethereal landscapes are another example. No picture looks good with the sharpness racked right up.

Sometimes it works well to turn down the noise reduction, that can improve detail a bit

Back