Alternative to a 70D

Edit My Images
Yes
At the moment my setup consists in my Canon 70D and the 24 - 105mm f/4.0.

Whilst I love the camera and the lens, I'm finding I hardly ever use it because I quite simply cannot be bothered to lug about the camera everywhere I go. If I'm being honest, I'd much rather use my Pixel 2 camera as outdoors the quality is excellent.

The downside being low light and a lack of real control.

Are there any more compact alternatives that people could recommend? My main use is really for capturing the moment and using it for getting videos both indoors and outdoors.

I upgraded to the 70D for video, but with the cost of additional wider lenses and the size and weight, I don't use it as much as I should. It's been sat in the cupboard since May, and whilst my photos from that holiday were fine, other people taking photos of us were terrible.

Price wise, it'd be for whatever I could get for the 70D, 24-105 lens, 50mm lens, bag and generic tripod

I was in the same boat and ended up with a fuji XT-1 and an 18-135 , suits me fine but I cant comment on the video as I don't use it.
Price wise I would have thought your present kit would cover the cost , might even stretch to an EX-2.
You could always look at the Canon M Series as I think your lens fits with an adapter

Thanks. The only thing that puts me off those is the lack of a flip out screen. I use that quite a lot

I was in a similar boat with a 40D. I started looking at Mirrorless Systems, and opted for Micro 4/3rds.

The cameras and lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are excellent and much lighter - I take my EM5 out near each time now, whereas the 40D was not seeing the light of day generally. It's also a lot less in your face as such.

There are 2 dedicated threads on the forum, have a read of those and then ask any questions.

The main compromise for me is the continual AF which won't be as good as your 70D, with the exception of the top end, and out of budget Pan G9 or Oly EM1mkII. DOF is not the same, though that can be a positive or negative dependant on your viewpoint.

Positives are great camera stabilisation, much much lighter, great lenses inc kit ones and for me no noticeable difference as usual sizes from my 40D. It's the system that has got me back taking photos. I don't really know the Panasonics, but Oly wise second hand EM1 or OM10vIII or EM5II I think would all be great (EM1 the largest of the 3), with some of the kits lenses, or an Oly 12-40 2.8 if you can stretch to it would do you great (or perhaps the longer 12-100 f4 I think it is \\ not sure on prices). The Oly 40-150 (non-pro) is great value for money also and can be had for less than £100 second hand.

alternatively you could consider the APS-C size sensors from Fuji, or maybe a high end bridge camera?

Good luck!

Al

Any comments on the Canon M50? Seems pretty good from what I can see, but downsides being a relatively poor battery life and EF-M mount

Any comments on the Canon M50? Seems pretty good from what I can see, but downsides being a relatively poor battery life and EF-M mount
The battery in the M is no worse than any mirrorless camera... ie you just have to carry a spare, whereas with a dslr its preferable to carry a spare.

Its a bit like getting used to a smartphone, once you realise it needs charging every night, its just routine rather than a PITA.

The weak link in the M line is the native lenses, but of course thats relative; you could keep your 24-105 (te 70d and that lens is a combo I would never personally use - just goes to show), I’d chop it all in and carry a 22, 50 and 85, then get the 32 later. The M5 and 85mm is a beautiful combo.

The battery in the M is no worse than any mirrorless camera... ie you just have to carry a spare, whereas with a dslr its preferable to carry a spare.

Its a bit like getting used to a smartphone, once you realise it needs charging every night, its just routine rather than a PITA.

The weak link in the M line is the native lenses, but of course thats relative; you could keep your 24-105 (te 70d and that lens is a combo I would never personally use - just goes to show), I’d chop it all in and carry a 22, 50 and 85, then get the 32 later. The M5 and 85mm is a beautiful combo.
To be honest, with the crop sensor I could do with a wider lens that I'd be happy to lose the zoom for. 11 - 22 or something I could probably live with

I had the 18 - 55mm when I had a 550D due to its fixed fstop

To be honest, with the crop sensor I could do with a wider lens that I'd be happy to lose the zoom for. 11 - 22 or something I could probably live with

I had the 18 - 55mm when I had a 550D due to its fixed fstop
The 11-22 EFM is well regarded, I love the 22 and 85 combo.

As I don’t think it’s been mentioned, I’ll add the M50 has a variation of the 80d sensor, which is a huge improvement on the 70d.

Looks like the M50 is going to be the one.
Need to find a decent price on it now, it's on efinity for £465 with kit lens, but I've never heard of them and it seems way too cheap. What's the catch

Ah ok, are efinity importing to UK customers rather than have UK stock?

E-finity are based in China yeah, so there's always the off chance you get hit by customs, or face a long wait for your gear. I know many have positive experiences, but I would much rather deal with an EU/UK supplier in case of any issues. You're not going to save much.

Yep that's fair enough. Just seen that deal was only valid until midnight and I'm about to go away for a week.
Will email and see if they can hold

Yep that's fair enough. Just seen that deal was only valid until midnight and I'm about to go away for a week.
Will email and see if they can hold

They haven't changed the price back, so I would say it's still good. It's been at that price a while now, as I was eyeing it myself. Just not sure what I want now :D

They haven't changed the price back, so I would say it's still good. It's been at that price a while now, as I was eyeing it myself. Just not sure what I want now :D
True, I still need them to hold off the delivery though [emoji23]

E-finity are based in China yeah, so there's always the off chance you get hit by customs, or face a long wait for your gear. I know many have positive experiences, but I would much rather deal with an EU/UK supplier in case of any issues. You're not going to save much.
Hope I don't have to wait... they say 5-7 days from order!

Hopefully this is true, they have send a picture of my packing list and my lenses...

United Kingdom - We expedite our orders from our UK warehouse via DPD, Hermes, Royal Mail or UPS. The handling time for an order takes around 2-3 working days typically. You will receive your purchase usually on the 4th - 7th working day after your payment is credited to our account. We assure the prices you see on our site are final and there won't be any taxes or duties to pay when the product arrives.

Forgot to mention I ordered the M50 in the end. Very happy with it, much more manageable and quality difference is negligible

Back