Alternative to a canon kit lens

Name
lizzie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello :wave: I'm new here.
I have a canon 400d, and have had it a while now. Whilst the kit lens I got with it is useful, its not as good in terms of glass than my other 2 lenses. (I have a canon 50mm, and a sigma 10-20mm) and they're both ace, but I can really see the difference sometimes in 'fastness'.

Can you suggest an alternative to the kit lens that i can switch to, without breaking the bank. Ideally under £200, but im not sure whats out there.:shrug:

:)

Discoklick

On a crop camera, the Tamron 17-50 is pretty good. Overall it's not quite as good as an L (e.g. 17-40), but is half the price.

i just bought a tamron 17-50mm from onestop digital, £205.00 delivered great lens for the money :D

Tamron 17-50, Sigma 17-70 or the Canon 17-85 IS would be my suggestions :)

I'd recommend the Sigma 17-70. A cracking lens for the price :)

Review here

:)

Sigma 17-70 fits the bill well, and gives you a bit more reach on the zoom to boot. Certainly a step up in IQ from the kit lens.

Very cheap at Jessops too with their additional 10% off, paid around £220 for it from them.

As you have the wide end covered with your 10-20, I'd look at the 24-60 or 24-70 f2.8 lenses. They're both very well respected bits of 3rd party glass, and a bit faster too.

Steve

Plenty of cheap 17-85mm IS's around. A good alternative to the kit lens. By no means the greatest lens in the world but pretty good. The IS of course helps in the low light so less need for a faster lens.

Best I can find is £245.00

But I'm still looking..... :tumbleweed:

Steve

219 delivered from onestop. I got mine there.

Its great but not as wide at the low end. Quality is superb though and wipes the floor with the kit lens.

Do you reckon it would be a good investment to go along with the 40D? finding all this business sooooooooooooo confusing trying to invest in the right kit:bonk:

Do you reckon it would be a good investment to go along with the 40D? finding all this business sooooooooooooo confusing trying to invest in the right kit:bonk:

Well that's what mine's going to go on, as the 18-5 that came with my 350D is shown up on the 40....

Steve

It will depend on what you want to take pictures of, Image quality wise, yes, but the kit lens isnt necessarily bad, its just not good, but it is also inexpensive and will help you find the focal lengths you need for what you want to take pics of.

I have the Tamron 17-50mm and love it. Having said that, as you have the 10-20, I'd be inclined to go with the 24-70... I have heard great things about it, and if I hadn't needed the 17mm end of the Tamron, I would have gone for that instead!

I got my Sigma 24-70mm from this place purelygadgets.http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/prodinfo.php?prodid=1112&start=30&thislist=11~110~104

I use purelygadgets over OneStop / 7Days shop becouse all 3 are Gray inporters but purelygadgets give you
18month2.gif

But you do pay a bit more for this then with the othere 2 I think. All so you do pay VAT on the lens so Sigma will do any work needed for the first 12 mth's

Back