Alternative to Paramo Velez Smock for Nature Photography

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering getting a smock as opposed to a jacket to use for wildlife photography. Unfortunately the piggy bank won't run to a Paramo so any other suggestions for suitable and cheaper jackets please. Ideally needs to be waterproof, wind proof and not feel like you're wearing a bin liner after 10 minutes walking.

I know the cheapest option is army surplus but I just don't do camouflage

Any recommendations please

would paramo's Feura do? Tis alot alot cheeper than the Valez Sadly I only do camo so am not going to be terribly useful to you TB.

Mate why smock what's your thinking over jacket?

Unfortunately the fuera is windproof only. I'm thinking the smock is lighter and less fussy to wear, with no full length zip

Type Anorak into google and go to the Amazon site,there are quite a few on there

I treated myself to a Paramo Halcon jacket when I went to Iceland - it was expensive, but I've never regretted it for a moment - it kept me warm and dry in the worst of weather that Iceland threw at us (a blizzard with visibility down to under 50'), and since then has continued to keep me warm and dry in whatever the UK has thrown at me (and our dog insists on having his hours walk in the morning even if the rain is almost horizontal!).
It's very much an investment - had mine 7 years now, reproofed a couple of times, still in excellent condition.

Agree with Faldrax. Paramo gear is expensive (those so is a lot of gear) but, if my now 15 years+ old jacket is typical, it really is a good investment.

Dave

I've used sportschief it's that same ethos not cheep but the gear lasts :. I'm still using my old coat the camo is faded,it was bought at Garlands took coat back when I bought my replacement coat maybe 5 years back........................." We stopped selling these "20years back mate" I was told by the store manager.

TB money is hard won, but good clothing can make or break your enjoyment. on a day where the going is tough. It's one place I try to find the money for the best gear I can find for my needs. . I'm firmy in the camp of buy once buy right on this, I'm not saying you need what I do mate good gear protects you and if it lasts is becomes a bargain with time. It outperforms cheeper gear on day one and keeps performing.

all the luck on your search

i have a velez and love it great for mountain walking , but i would never think of using it for wild life photography. there not that warm for standing round in thats not what they are desiened for. i also have a feura smock as well and same goes for this.
i use snugpak gear when i am out photographing wikdlife i have a gelet a a sleeka jacket and a sasquatch for when its really cold
downside is they are not fully waterproof most of this can be had of ebay really cheap

Based on this I may have to save a bit longer and go for the buy once last longer approach

i have a velez and love it great for mountain walking , but i would never think of using it for wild life photography. there not that warm for standing round in thats not what they are desiened for. i also have a feura smock as well and same goes for this.
i use snugpak gear when i am out photographing wikdlife i have a gelet a a sleeka jacket and a sasquatch for when its really cold
downside is they are not fully waterproof most of this can be had of ebay really cheap
Can I ask do you not layer it e.g. fleece or lightweight down underneath in colder conditions. Part of the appeal to me is the Paramo could be used for multiple occasions e.g. just a chilly breeze but rain as well would wear on its own. Colder weather chuck a layer on underneath

i layer it when i am hill walking in winter i have been up on the hills in full winter conditions -15 wind chill with just 2 thin micro fleeces underneath but when you stop moving you get cold . they are great jackets i have had mineover 10 years . just reproofed it last week. but i wouldnt wear it through the winter for wildlife shooting just dont think it would be warm enough if you are standing about. the trousers are great thoughi wear cascada trousers through the winter so you can kneel or sit on the wet ground. theres always plenty of paramo stuff on ebay paramo even have a shop on there for there seconds

I've had a Paramo smock (can't remember what it was called but see the picture) for about 25 years now, about 2 years ago it started to let the weather through despite regular wash and reproof at home with the Nikwax stuff so I just reached out to Paramo and it is now with them for a "Professional clean and reproof" for £30.00 can't say anything bad about the product or their after sales service. It's my favourite jacket for outdoors, 2 years ago when it started to let the weather in I looked for something similar but couldn't find one I liked as much so settled for a Paramo jkt with full zip, it's a good jkt but I still prefer the smock.

L1000909 PS Adj.jpg

Back