Alternative to sony RX-100

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Having had my refurb RX100 break within an hour I am trying to decide if i fork out £480 for a new one or go for something else (none in stock at sony so it's a refund).

This is to use when I don't want to take the sony A55 out with me.

I like the features and small size of the RX100 hence trying a refurb, I put it down to bad luck and don't for one minute hold it against sony as that's the risk in a refurb.

Wondering what other people use instead of the RX-100

must have is a decent size sensor and RAW support :help:

No problem, trying to choose myself but, for me, i think the rx wins convincingly (based on numerous reviews). The conclusion page summarises the lengthy review nicely.

yeh i just skipped to the end and kinda reinforced why i opted for it anyway.

looks like Amazons going to get my cash then.

question is, do i also go for the sony case that is a custom fit :|

.....I put it down to bad luck and don't for one minute hold it against sony as that's the risk in a refurb.

Forgive my bluntness, ballsocks!
You don't go to the refurb section of Apple's website, order a refurb'd Mac or iPad/iPod, and then shrug your shoulders when it breaks within an hour of using it.
If a product has been refurb'd, then it should be every bit as saleable as the same item off the production line.
In theory, having been checked twice, many would consider it to be better than a factory fresh unit.

As a current Sony owner, you should be using that to your advantage about having this one re-refurb'd - extended warranty or some recompense for the hassle.
I'd be back on to them again, and if need be, speak to a higher paid employee.

i can't talk to anyone until tomorrow, but I will let you know. i also found part of the memory card slot broken...

The nex6 and power zoom combo on the outlet store is very tempting!

You must have just been unlucky. I bought a used, albeit mint, RX100 months ago and it's running perfectly still. I've mostly used it for gigs.

The only thing I don't like about the RX100 is it's zoom. I got it for gigs really, in the hope of being more stealthy [can't exactly bring a D800 with long lens into the O2!/Dublin] and still maintaining good quality. Better than your average compact at least, and certainly better than any phone cam! It does that - but the zoom is a little short, and I have found that on full zoom, because of the closing down of the aperture, you really need to pump the ISO more so, and even with the IS it gets a bit nutty with any shakes. And I like to think i have steady hands.

If you do decide to look elsewhere, get more zooms! with IS ... and look up reviews on how those cam' perform when zoomed ;)

Took this last week at the Biffy Clyro gig at the O2 using the Rx100

TRHqzTd.jpg

Last edited:
it was that one, notice the buy buttons gone :)

The only thing I don't like about the RX100 is it's zoom. I got it for gigs really, in the hope of being more stealthy [can't exactly bring a D800 with long lens into the O2!/Dublin] and still maintaining good quality. Better than your average compact at least, and certainly better than any phone cam! It does that - but the zoom is a little short, and I have found that on full zoom, because of the closing down of the aperture, you really need to pump the ISO more so, and even with the IS it gets a bit nutty with any shakes. And I like to think i have steady hands.

If you do decide to look elsewhere, get more zooms! with IS ... and look up reviews on how those cam' perform when zoomed ;)

last one was a 16x zoom hx9 but the quality was crap.

See the image I've added above. That's well cropped down. Where it lacks in zoom, it makes up for in quality. Even cropped down raw processes from it will be better than most other compacts with better zoom.

I was a good few rows back ^

Last edited:
Nikon j1/2 or v1/2
With the introduction of the 10mm f2.8 18.5mm f1.8 and 32mm lenses it makes it a really nice portable system.

Not as pocketable as the rx100 but the j1 with the 10mm pancake wouldn't be far off

Nikon j1/2 or v1/2
With the introduction of the 10mm f2.8 18.5mm f1.8 and 32mm lenses it makes it a really nice portable system.

Not as pocketable as the rx100 but the j1 with the 10mm pancake wouldn't be far off

If you go down the CSC route then the Panasonic GF5 is well worth a look. You can currently get it with the power zoom for £249 which is a bit of a bargain, it is as small as the J1/2 and for me is a better camera. Yes it is bigger than the Rx100 but not by that much, it won't slip into your back pocket but easily fits in a coat pocket.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a white version Panny LX7 brand new on eBay at £265 posted. Looks like a grey import with all taxes/duty paid.

Perfect for holiday snaps, non-critical work. Use a big DSLR for more critical stuff!

Thanks, not after a compact system camera though, it has to be pocket size :)

If the Sony is to be returned for a refund only, then how about the new Fuji X20 as its replacement?

The XF-1 Fuji is more pocketable than the X-10 or X-20 and can shoot in raw. JPEGs from it (and the X-10) make raw all but redundant though!

Forgive my bluntness, ballsocks!
You don't go to the refurb section of Apple's website, order a refurb'd Mac or iPad/iPod, and then shrug your shoulders when it breaks within an hour of using it.
If a product has been refurb'd, then it should be every bit as saleable as the same item off the production line.
In theory, having been checked twice, many would consider it to be better than a factory fresh unit.

As a current Sony owner, you should be using that to your advantage about having this one re-refurb'd - extended warranty or some recompense for the hassle.
I'd be back on to them again, and if need be, speak to a higher paid employee.

well, they did offer me a discount off a new one but sods law the lead time is quite long, the only stock due in is straight to other shops not sony store, so they arranged collection for refund and have sent a £25 voucher to spend online.

found one for £449 new UK stock from a bricks and mortar shop, will be placing an online order to get that here for saturday!

thanks all for the alternatives from the other posters but i do like the little sony.

at least i can buy the proper sony retro case from sony store for a discount now.

Last edited:
Nice one GoNz0. As soon as my piggy bank is full again, I will be getting mine!

In fact, if its as good as the reviews say my dslr days may be numbered!

i did consider selling up my slt kit but i love the 70-300G lens :)

brand new RX100 arrived right on time :)

hats off to UKDigital for a great service.

Back