Alternatives to bounced flash?

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was recently trying to photograph a family event in a conservatory and, not that I had given it any thought beforehand, bounced flash obviously doesn’t work. If it’s not appropriate to set up big lighting modifiers, are there any other alternatives using on-camera flash in these circumstances?

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Yes - as glass is an almost perfect reflector the light will bounce off at the angle of incidence - so the traditional pointing it up, slightly back and to one side results in most light exiting the room, and what little light that is reflected back, comes back down on top of the photographer :) It only works on non-perfect reflectors like white ceilings as they are made up of lots of tiny surfaces all pointing in lots of directions, so some light comes back from a ceiling at various angles, as there are various angles of incidence.

So, what to do ? You can bring your own surface to bounce off such as a white foam board and hold this up yourself. Use the people themselves as bounce - especially white shirts. Or maybe place the white foam board on the conservatory roof (although this may be too intrusive and ruin the look of the place). For individual shots, a small softbox hand-held off camera would work well (and this is what I would generally do ). If you need to shoot the crowd, consider putting a large modifier outside the conservatory, turning the transparency problem to your advantage. This could be a large softbox, or a white sheet with light from behind, or bouncing off it. Or get arty and simulate setting sun with a bare speedlight outside, aiming back into the conservatory through the glass. Add a CTO gel for that sunset feel :)

If you need to shoot the crowd, consider putting a large modifier outside the conservatory, turning the transparency problem to your advantage. This could be a large softbox, or a white sheet with light from behind, or bouncing off it.

I've done similar .. large sheet of softbox material over the internal windows between living room & conservatory, light with umbrella in the living room, subject in the conservatory. Gives really natural looking results.

In thes circumstances (and many others) I see nothing wrong with an camera flash and a Rogue flash bender.

Yes off camera is preferable but it’s not impossible to take good pics with on cam flash. It’s only the pop up that I’d avoid.

Back