Alternatives to Lastolite Ezybox

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anybody had any experience of using these speedlight softboxes and how do they compare to the Lastolite Ezybox?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-60cm-EZ-Fo...graphy_StudioEquipment_RL?hash=item230185b441

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Softbox-For-S...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3a4f167847

I think I read somewhere that the Lastolite Ezybox no longer comes with an internal diffuser. Please can someone confirm if this is the case. Does anyone know of any other speedlight softboxes I should consider?

TIA

The first looks better made than the second

I got ALZO boxes from the US when the pound was high and they are exactly the same as the Lastolite ones - but only came in small.

These seem the larger ones - and at a very good price

The plus is the swivel bit that comes with the bracket ..... neither my ALZO or the Lastolite come with that so you have to buy an extra bit.

The light output is great for on the go portraits

Doesn't look the same quality .... the material on mine are quite thick - these look more like nylon or something

Thanks for the replies. Do either the Magic Softbox or the Alzo have an internal diffuser?

Doesn't look the same quality .... the material on mine are quite thick - these look more like nylon or something

What did you get?

24" 60cm EZ-Fold Hot Shoe Softbox Kit for Speedlights

Just wonder how it compares to the Ezybox. A review maybe?
If the one above, looks very very similar, a kind of a copy.

Remember peeps, the Interfit Strobies product range is available imminently and some of it looks quite good value.

Hi

The EZ-Fold softbox has been much discussed on the UK Strobists group on Flickr. I'll put my hands up and say it is me that is importing them.

As I own both this and a Lastolite, I can compare them and be as honest as I can about that!

The Lastolite EzyBox hotshoe version does NOT have an inner diffuser, but DOES have velcro tabs to attach one (you have to buy it). They also do a version with stand and perhaps that version also has the extra diffuser, but that kit costs way more.

The Lastolite has a wider strip of velcro to attach, which I actually find a pain as it is harder to undo.

As someone has said, you need to add some form of swivel mount to the Lastolite (I have mine on a mini ballhead), but the EZ-Fold comes with its own ballhead.

The actual softboxes look, work and feel pretty much identical.

Trev

Hi Trev,

Welcome to the forums. Do you have a link to your Flickr or to any images taken with the EZ-Fold?

Thanks for the replies. Do either the Magic Softbox or the Alzo have an internal diffuser?

No, but from what I've heard new stocks of the Ezybox don't either. I always use a stofen on my flash anyway when using either the Magic or the Ezybox, every little bit helps and all that ;)

Hi

The EZ-Fold softbox has been much discussed on the UK Strobists group on Flickr. I'll put my hands up and say it is me that is importing them.

As I own both this and a Lastolite, I can compare them and be as honest as I can about that!

The Lastolite EzyBox hotshoe version does NOT have an inner diffuser, but DOES have velcro tabs to attach one (you have to buy it). They also do a version with stand and perhaps that version also has the extra diffuser, but that kit costs way more.

The Lastolite has a wider strip of velcro to attach, which I actually find a pain as it is harder to undo.

As someone has said, you need to add some form of swivel mount to the Lastolite (I have mine on a mini ballhead), but the EZ-Fold comes with its own ballhead.

The actual softboxes look, work and feel pretty much identical.

Trev

I have a lastolite and not one of yours, but I can tell you that my 24" ezy-box does have an inner difuser, I am considering picking up a ballhead for it but atm I use it on an umbrella stand that I already had

I have a lastolite and not one of yours, but I can tell you that my 24" ezy-box does have an inner difuser, I am considering picking up a ballhead for it but atm I use it on an umbrella stand that I already had

I thought the Lastolite's originally came with an inner diffuser. It's just that I remember reading (but can't remember where) that they stopped supplying the inner diffuser with the Ezybox.

Can someone please clarify this or am I losing my marbles?

I thought the Lastolite's originally came with an inner diffuser. It's just that I remember reading (but can't remember where) that they stopped supplying the inner diffuser with the Ezybox.

Can someone please clarify this or am I losing my marbles?

like i said the lastolite one does, got it in the cupboard next to me, theres a diffusion screen at the front and a similar (but small obv) screen in the middle

I bought one of the Lastolites so I could compare it (it actually came from Lastolite UK direct). They confirmed they no longer ship with the inner diffuser. This is a recent change in spec.

As to sample shots, I haven't posted any, but that flickr thread posted above shows many users who have. Many of them are better at it than me! LOL

I may be wrong, but I think the 16" Lastolite doesn't come with the internal diffuser, but the 24" does... my own 24" certainly has one anyway... are they stopping supplying it with internal diffuser?

Yup, mine's the 24 inch one (60cm). No internal diffuser.

Someone on the Stobist.com flickr group did a shot comparison and found no discernible difference in the lit subject. Can't remember who.

I was also told the ideal distance for the best (portraiture) light was the effective diagonal of the box, which for a 24" box is a 34" diagonal, or about 3 feet. Over that it starts to become more and more like a snooted shoot through umbrella.

Lastolite have put a few videos up on their site and there are many on YouTube, just search for EzyBox. I like the outdoor video using the cheapest of lightstands; a friend or assistant!

Using the Lastolite and the EZ-Fold, I can't see the difference in light output.

Hi

Trev

Hi Trev, welcome to the forum.

I used to have the Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe and it did come with an internal difuser.
I sold it here in the forum, I think it was haggis who bought it.

I just bought the 24 inch Ezybox from Amazon and it has an internal diffuser......old stock perhaps?

On a side note, Lastolite have replied to my email and are sending out the 'missing' inner diffuser for my genuine 24" EzyBox. :)

well i can give my opinion on the comparisons between the cheap softbox and the lastolite one

the quality of the actual box is very similar to me between the two, infact i would have thought they were the same box if the lastolite didnt have internal difuser and a label on it!

the hot-shoe fitting is vastly superior on the lastolite,

so i can whole heartedly recommend the cheaper alternative, its very good value for money

cant wait to test em now!

Right I've applied a liberal dose of Jiffy Thread Cleaning foam to this thread, clear up the recent misunderstanding.
Dod has apologised, Treva has accepted said apology, and I would like to apologise as Admin for being in control of the system that let the misunderstanding occur.

Ball was dropped by me and I apologise for that. I'm putting changed in place to make it clearer how to report posts. Normally PM's to Admin are turned off, but were temporarily left enabled at the time Treva sent his (we need them enabled to send a PM *from* the admin account).

It seems even though Treva did break the rules regarding the commercial activity, he did try and get Admin clarification on what was acceptable, and thus acted in good faith.
It did seem with the 'order updates' posts and the discussion of ordering from Trev, that it was turning into the very essence of a traders thread that other advertisers pay for.

It also seems the staff acted in good faith with the information available to them, from the posts infront of them, and the lack of information about the PM to the unmonitored Admin account.

We've removed the block on the ClevaTreva account and I've cleaned and reopened this thread. I do hope we can all move forward from this incident and put it down to a misunderstanding.
As for this thread, please use it to discuss the products only, and if we could refrain from discussing any orders/ordering, out of the thread.
Also, please no using the PM system for orders either.

That way we can be clear of the boundaries and everyone knows where they stand.

PS. If you want to discussing a legitimate advertisers thread, then please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page, and we'll see if we can sort something out :)

its in hand folks, just going to reply to Cleva now.

I'm glad it's sorted but confused why my post was deleted.
I only stated i was pleased with the softbox i recieved from Trev and thought it might be some help to the OP and also as a bit of encouragement for Trev to regisiter as a legit advertiser.
It's not like people don't post "what do you think of this" and "would you buy from these" sort of threads everyday on this forum :shrug:

So, to clarify, the real Lastolite ones do still come with the diffuser panel?

It would appear so. Bum steer from them via the phone, sorted out by email. at least for 24" version.

As to the legit route. I am inclined to do this having read the terms - I just need to get my new web site properly running.

Folks. Much as I appreciate your positive comments, I think the mods would prefer that the 'I received mine' and 'I just ordered one' and suchlike stay off the forums. After all, you can leave feedback on eBay (not that more than one in ten buyers does, although I always do as a seller and 99% of the time do as a buyer). Piccies to show off your talent I am sure are welcome! As would be technical questions (like Flash in the Pan just asked). AFAICS.

:love:

well I set up a quick test shot with my newly acquired soft boxes, due to lack of light stands I hand held the bracket!

430exII held about a metre high to the right.

Camera settings iso100, shutter 1/160, aperture f10.

3623881781_6baa20ca45.jpg

as you can see there is nice light wrap around and nice soft shadows and considering there is no inner diffuser there are no hot spots if flash is used on 24mm zoom. this shot it was balanced on top of the tripod!!!

3624748378_1498fc50d3.jpg

Now I can't wait to use it in anger!!!

Back