Alternatives to the iphone for video

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently use my iphone for quick video clips, such as when I am out and about on my bike. I like doing video of cycling through woods, and along tracks etc.

I simply pop the iphone in my top pocket in the portrait orientation, as this is the only way it will fit with the lens showing over the top of my pocket. The only problem with this, when playing back the video it's not very good to view.

There is no way to lock the video in landscape mode, and it only looks ok with photos but not video.

Just wondering are there any camera phones, that can lock video in landscape mode?

A topic on it here >>> http://gizmodo.com/5915888/an-important-psa-on-why-you-should-never-shoot-videos-vertically

There is supposed to be software to rotate iphone video, but I don't want to be having to use that!

Last edited:
I thought with the iPhone if you started the video in landscape mode it would lock in that orientation?

Also worth checking out App Store to see if there is a third party app that will do it.

Other alternative is secure handle bar mount to have it landscape format.

I thought with the iPhone if you started the video in landscape mode it would lock in that orientation?

Also worth checking out App Store to see if there is a third party app that will do it.

Other alternative is secure handle bar mount to have it landscape format.

Yes you are right, it did in the early days. But my iphone 4s running on the later software no longer does this..

Probably better off just splashing out on a gopro?

yes I have toyed with the idea..

+1 on the GoPro, or maybe consider one of these:

http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-mount/

yes it does look good, but I wanted to be able to record video while cycling. By simply popping phone in top pocket, but thanks for the link :)

Sorry for the late reply, not been on here for ages ...

Thanks for the replies :)

This was shot on my HTC phone. http://youtu.be/lSrITb3E1D8

How did you mount it, on dashboard or screen ? I have been trying to figure out best way to do similar video like yours. But I simply prop my iphone on dashboard, but it always seems to fall to the floor! I would also like to be able to stick the iphone in my top pocket and video while out walking or cycling.

It's not always practical to hold the phone in landscape orientation, but I am still plodding along as best as I can :)

Looks like a nice drive you had there ..

Last edited:
I just had it fixed to the passenger sun visor with a couple of elastic bands :)

It was a nice drive until I got to Fort William then things went downhill, backed into a railing needed a new bootlid, then lost part of my modular lens hood whilst climbing to a viewpoint for the Glenfinnan viaduct, then fell down the mountainside and sprained my ankle entailing a visit to A&E at Fort William. Ho hum !

I just had it fixed to the passenger sun visor with a couple of elastic bands :) It was a nice drive until I got to Fort William then things went downhill, backed into a railing needed a new bootlid, then lost part of my modular lens hood whilst climbing to a viewpoint for the Glenfinnan viaduct, then fell down the mountainside and sprained my ankle entailing a visit to A&E at Fort William. Ho hum !
I tried that method with my phone, but sun visor is a little flimsy and not the best , making that method for me not usable.

Sorry to hear of your little mishap, hobbling about myself. Tried to kick a ball for the dog, missed and kicked the floor , sore toe ever since !

I bought a Hitachi HDSV01U HD Action Camera from argos, which cost only £100 and its great.
But even better, is that I have just looked again and its now only £69.99.... Well worth the money...
I found this to show you the quality....

I bought a Hitachi HDSV01U HD Action Camera from argos, which cost only £100 and its great.
But even better, is that I have just looked again and its now only £69.99.... Well worth the money...
I found this to show you the quality....

Picture quality in your video seems to be quite low res with some pixelation, is that the best quality setting available on your Hitachi?

As an example, the following is from an iPhone 4 using a £2 app called iSymDVR at the medium quality setting.

My only criticism of using the iPhone is finding a decent window mount that holds it steady on the awful roads that are beginning to manifest since the council decided pothole repairs were being cut due to the austerity cuts :mad:.

Last edited:
The video isn't mine...lol.... I just put a link to it. Anyway the Hitachi is full HD and I havn't had any problems... Plus for £69 you can go over those nice council roads and not worry to much if it comes off...lol

The video isn't mine...lol.... I just put a link to it. Anyway the Hitachi is full HD and I havn't had any problems... Plus for £69 you can go over those nice council roads and not worry to much if it comes off...lol

Actually I think the embedding kills the quality, looking at the one I posted it is pretty dire viewed here when compared to the actual video on YouTube.

But even better, is that I have just looked again and its now only £69.99.... Well worth the money.

Quick question about the Hitachi, does it do time lapse? Tempted to try one given the price as I can't justify a gopro given the amount of use it will get.

Quick question about the Hitachi, does it do time lapse? Tempted to try one given the price as I can't justify a gopro given the amount of use it will get.
I have to be honest, its not something i've tried as I only bought it for a short fly on the wall documentary i'm working on at present...

Back