Always Wineing Away - Light Painting

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
With the weather the way it's been today and the amount of stuff that I had to do today I had to make my photo of the day a quick today, that's not saying that it wasn't composed and thought out as it was (y)

311/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As with all my images C&C is welcomed and appreciated :D

Matt
MWHCVT

You're getting a dab hand at this painting malarky...nice clean image.
my only niggle, I would've cloned out the green grape stalk, very picky I know - sorry

Graham.

You're getting a dab hand at this painting malarky...nice clean image.
my only niggle, I would've cloned out the green grape stalk, very picky I know - sorry

Graham.

Don't worry about being picky, as I'm like that with my photo's anyway :D I did think about taking it out but decided to keep it in as it's a bunch of grapes so it's natural that it's there (y) but I did spend some time cleaning out dead pixels etc I'm pleased that you like it (y)

Matt

Excellent quality image Matt.
you must have the patience of a saint. :D

Lighting is good, as is composition. I just think it is a bit tight in the frame Matt.

It possibly is a little tight but I didn't have that much space to work with :eek: but I'm pleased you like it :D

Excellent quality image Matt.
you must have the patience of a saint. :D

Thank you, it's a nice technique and so much better than straight forward flash photography, it seems to give the images an almost 3D quality (y) I'm pleased that you like it, as to patience this shot took all of 15 minutes inclusive of PP so not that bad, some of my images take several hours to take :D

Such as THIS one that took 2 hours to take plus post production :D

Matt

Really like this Matt, nice composition, and as you said, its like a 3d effect (y)

What did you use to light paint with Matt?

Really like this Matt, nice composition, and as you said, its like a 3d effect (y)

What did you use to light paint with Matt?

Thanks Scott, All the lighting is done with a standard torch, I use a small maglight a 2xAA battery type I'm pleased that you like it :D

Matt

Don't know how this one passed me bye Matt - you're getting plenty of mileage out of those grapes ;)

Overall I like the shot, but again, I'm going to harp on about the background - same comments as the fruitbowl TBH - which does at least mean if you rig a small "room set" it'll get used and re-used plenty :)

Also - I think the bottle gets slightly lost from the shoulders and neck - the body is bright - presumably light reflecting from the back label of the bottle, but by the neck it's almost blended away until the foil kicks in. Not sure, but can you get light shining up through the bottle ? Maybe using a lightbox under the bottle, with black card base that has a hole in it, just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bottle. Then "blip" the lightbox on and off to light the bottle up... Not sure if it'd work, but it might be worth an experiment :shrug:

Don't know how this one passed me bye Matt - you're getting plenty of mileage out of those grapes ;)

Overall I like the shot, but again, I'm going to harp on about the background - same comments as the fruitbowl TBH - which does at least mean if you rig a small "room set" it'll get used and re-used plenty :)

Also - I think the bottle gets slightly lost from the shoulders and neck - the body is bright - presumably light reflecting from the back label of the bottle, but by the neck it's almost blended away until the foil kicks in. Not sure, but can you get light shining up through the bottle ? Maybe using a lightbox under the bottle, with black card base that has a hole in it, just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bottle. Then "blip" the lightbox on and off to light the bottle up... Not sure if it'd work, but it might be worth an experiment :shrug:

Now you've said about that, I think I have a small LED set that will fit under the bottle witout a issue and will light it up wonderfully :thinking: I smell a reshoot coming, I will have to get some more grapes though as I've ate them :exit:

I see where your coming from with the having the background nice and Dark I may have to try it out keeping the BG dark, I think the little bit of light on the BG help to aid the 3D effect, but maybe I'm wrong :D

I can see me buiding a smallish rig to play with I have a very large garage to fill up with a set up :naughty:

Matt

Really like this image Matt, agree with the comment on the lighting towards the top of the bottle and I would love to see it with no/less spill on the background if possible :)

bensambrook said:
Really like this image Matt, agree with the comment on the lighting towards the top of the bottle and I would love to see it with no/less spill on the background if possible :)

I've got a couple of ideas in relation to alterations to the lighting to hopefully improve the image :D

Manc Man said:
Love this one Matt, your mind must be working in overdrive with the number of creative ideas your coming up with. Need to have a bash at light painting myself when I get time.

I try an push my creativity in this challenge, it's great to know that others are also enjoying it (y)

Matt

I like this. My only extra quibble would be the stalk that overlaps the bottle. I think if that was'nt there and the grape at the bottom right of the label was missing so that the label wasn't touching the bunch it might improve the shot.

I like this. My only extra quibble would be the stalk that overlaps the bottle. I think if that was'nt there and the grape at the bottom right of the label was missing so that the label wasn't touching the bunch it might improve the shot.

Sorry, I missed your reply to this thread :eek: now that you've pointed that out it's somewhat bugging me, I'll have to have a look a cleaning it up at some point (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Back