AM I BEING OVER CAUTIOUS ?

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
My sister in law has been on a trip abroad with a group of people. One of them has sent his photos via something called "Dropbox" to her. I don't use "Dropbox" anyway, but she has asked me if I would print out 6x4 pictures he took. Even if I could I don't know who took the photos and certainly not any permission to reproduce them. My concern is a copyrite issue, he/she could be a professional photographer who sells their photos and take legal action against me.

So have I been right to refuse my sister in laws request?

Last edited:
You’ll be fine.. its printing a photo not selling it for a million dollars in cash and hoarding it in the loft. Its a 6x4 photo

as stated your printing not publishing to somewhere thats going to make profit from them

The above 2 answers are complete b******t. Scale and cost mean nothing, copyright is copyright.

That said, what do you think the photographer intended when he sent your sister the photos?

If he'd intended to control them, he'd have sent tiny images with watermarks, the fact he's sent printable images, especially if he's a pro, means he fully understands they can be printed. You are being overly cautious.

Try the scenario with you as the photographer, you've sent some images to someone you met on holiday; Why would you do it? Would you do it if you didn't want them to have 'a copy'?

Disregarding any legalities, I personally wouldn't.
He has sent them to her, if she wants prints she could print them herself or take the files to Prontoprint (Other High St. printers etc.)
If she really wants you to print them just ask her to PM the sender and check they're happy with it.

I think you are being over cautious, they are probably not much more than snaps of their trip. He wouldn't have sent them if he was worried about them being printed.

Graham same as my thoughts , let her go to somewhere as you suggested. Even if i did get them and print it would cost quite a bit in my time let alone in materials.I

I think you are being over cautious, they are probably not much more than snaps of their trip. He wouldn't have sent them if he was worried about them being printed.

Agree, far to over cautious. If someone sends a picture then what are they expecting them to do with it.

Why not ask the person who took the photos if it is OK to print them if you are so concerned? Personally I would just go ahead and do it, how is the tog going to know you printed them, assuming you are not planning on selling them to a magazine or something.

Last edited:
Over cautious is an understatement, just print the images for your Sister in law and tell her she looks great in them! :)

ffs

If you want to do it, get her to bring the files over on a USB stick or similar and do it but if you're after an excuse not to do it, the copyright issue is a legitimate excuse IMO!

I doubt you would get into any hot water.

Do you want to print them? For 6x4 I could never find a case for doing them myself vs getting a lab to do them (except convenience).

My sister in law has been on a trip abroad with a group of people. One of them has sent his photos via something called "Dropbox" to her

He sent his photos to her...he's obviously happy for her to download them from Dropbox and therefore saving them to her own PC or wherever and presumably look at / show people.

I can't see how that's any different from printing a hard copy out for her to look at / show people.

Surely if he had issues with this happening, he wouldn't have sent them initially.

I'd just print her some or have her pop them on a USB stick and pop along to Asda etc and print her own out if you don't want to...

The above 2 answers are complete b******t. Scale and cost mean nothing, copyright is copyright.

That said, what do you think the photographer intended when he sent your sister the photos?

If he'd intended to control them, he'd have sent tiny images with watermarks, the fact he's sent printable images, especially if he's a pro, means he fully understands they can be printed. You are being overly cautious.

Try the scenario with you as the photographer, you've sent some images to someone you met on holiday; Why would you do it? Would you do it if you didn't want them to have 'a copy'?
I agree. But, printing without permission *is* copyright infringement, and providing a digital file (of any size) does not grant the right to reproduce/print... I see no reason why it should be a problem to verify/get permission first.

I agree. But, printing without permission *is* copyright infringement, and providing a digital file (of any size) does not grant the right to reproduce/print... I see no reason why it should be a problem to verify/get permission first.
To be fair we don't actually know that the printing rights aren't already explicit.

The OP appears to have donned a tinfoil hat and asked a bunch of strangers rather than having a sensible chat with his sister.

Sister In law can spend a little money get her own printer instead of thousands of pounds on very expensive holidays andexpensive meals out

Does sister in law not have access to Boots or Asda?

I'm not sure why anyone needs to buy a printer to make a print, it's not 1816.
Quite possibly one of the best replies I have read on here for a while...

Sister In law can spend a little money get her own printer instead of thousands of pounds on very expensive holidays andexpensive meals out

So, have you had the brass ones to tell her that?

Dropbox is ok however it does slow you computer down sadly I prefer wetransfer just my opinion. :)

They are probably out of focus, under exposed, on the slant iPhone happy snaps and the guy doesn't even know copyright exists for photos.

Check the data on the image exif!
It might not say anything about who took image! So in my opinion prove who took it in court of law

Your completely overthinking this. Somebody's taken a few snaps, fired them over. It's no different to giving you a CD ROM or Memory stick with images on. Drag the files into a stick and take them into boots or Tescos.

Nobody's mentioned how many images.
Are folks really suggesting running off to Boots for what could be half a dozen holiday snaps?
o_O

Nobody's mentioned how many images.
Are folks really suggesting running off to Boots for what could be half a dozen holiday snaps?
o_O
Considering the op's comments re time and expense, I've assumed it's likely to be more than half a dozen.;)

Considering the op's comments re time and expense, I've assumed it's likely to be more than half a dozen.;)

You know what they say about assuming. ;)

Back