am i getting there

Looking at the exif I think that a too slow shutter speed is your main problem not so much the dof, But I am sure some one that actually knows what they are talking about will pass comment soon. Ian

look a little soft- you should try to focus on the eyes of insects, for maximum impact in Macro shots (y)

Ive not looked at the EXIF - however I find f11 - f14 ideal and a shutter speed of at least 1/125th sec works well

I see youre using a flash too - so try the f numbers I use - it may help

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Neil these are good mate, been trying myself and its damn difficult, mine are nowhere near as good as these so keep at it your doing really well.

Are you using auto focus ? are these big crops ?

Try and focus on the eyes and use a smaller aperture - Get everything in manual ,f11-f16,iso 200, 1/200 and a diffused flash. ser the lens to its closest focus point (maximum magnification) and focus by moving the camera. practice on a ruler try different apertures to see the effect on DOF

Last edited:
Hi,all I try to set the camera to manual ,I use autofocus but I can override it.as for crops ,unfortunately yes they are large crops,
As I said before I'm new to this but enjoying it loads.
Must remember to use flash .

duttytd said:
What makes you think that?

Because I get what he's telling me,but not quite putting all his very helpful advice into practice,I have numerical dyslexia and can't quite get to grips with shutter speed fractions and such,it's like learning every time I pick up my camera.
But hey still want to take the best images I can,and lez has been a great help.

Wow awesome photos,but do i get the impression your getting a tad frustrated with my efforts les,lol

NO, Not at all fella - hence the :LOL::LOL::LOL: in my post

All you need is to practise on getting the eyes in focus on insect shots and you'll be sorted (y)

Its a hard subject is Macro- Im still learning everytime I pick up my camera and go hunting for Damsel flies ans such like :naughty:

Just in now from a foray over the Someret Levels- will post some shots after Ive had food/coffee dried out my boots etc etc :eek:

Les :D

PS use a flash + f11 at 1/125th sec manually focus ( on the eyes) and you'll get better results budddy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back