Am I losing it / have I lost it? (open thread)

I couldn’t work out why the toilet light came on as soon as I opened the door , till the wife asked why I was pi**ing in the fridge

I find it strange these days, that I can remember stuff from 40 odd years ago like it was yesterday but ask me what happened yesterday (actual yesterday) and I often have to pause to think.

:oops: :$

OMG IT'S NOT JUST ME (the whole thread, not specifically black fox's issue)!

and WHY AM I SHOUTING?

I get accused of shouting when I CBA to put my hearing aids in... And of not listening!

I can never remember getting the second glass of beer from the 500ml bottle.
Wishful thinking and then left disappointed when I realise i've drunk it.

I get accused of shouting when I CBA to put my hearing aids in... And of not listening!
Oh yeah, back in the secondary school days, I had a teacher who used to shout at me a LOT, old "Grotbags" Freeman, when she was blathering on, I deliberately turned my hearing aid either right down or off so I couldn't hear her! :LOL:

Used to wind her up immensely!

I find it strange these days, that I can remember stuff from 40 odd years ago like it was yesterday but ask me what happened yesterday (actual yesterday) and I often have to pause to think.

:oops: :$

That's normal,Dale. No need to be concerned..if you are...Probably just curious. :)

It's quite a simple explanation,really. Events are typically remembered for their significance for you. Routine, mundane occurrences are usually indistinguishable from one day to the next so the memory doesn't log them unless something unusual happens, which would then make them memory-significant and enough to become part of long term memory. Take a moment and recall what memory events you are recalling and I'm sure you'll realise that it's because the event made an impression on you or even meant a lot to you. I find myself recalling events from my early childhood and sometimes asked my parents how old I was at that time . Quite often they'd say.."You were 3 (or 4..or whatever).. fancy remembering that" they'd say. I still have a half-moon shaped scar on my lower right leg shin bone after I fell onto the metal mudguard of my 'scooter' ( the one foot on a standing board and the other propelling me along, type) which was lying on the grass in the back garden. I was about 4 when that happened and I can still see myself now, in my mind's eye, running, crying into the house . I recall having a cyst removed from underneath my eye at Chester Royal Infirmary when I was about 8. I recall going into the surgery of the doctor, who lived two doors away, sitting in the waiting room, being called in with my mum, walking up a wooden slope to the door of the room and Dr Unsworth pulling out a splinter from my sceptic finger. I was very young then. I recall having measles,too . I was about 5, then. Another incident when I was pre-school was running round the back garden in a circle being chased by a very angry cockerel which we called Jane Russell (Google her..lol) on account of it's large chest...lol. We had a small back yard..outside toilet there too... and I just got through back door into the kitchen in time. I went to the living room window, overlooking the back yard and the darned thing was outside the door strutting back and forth..still very angry. About what I never knew.

So..there you have it. Long term memory in action as a result of memorable events. :)

Last edited:
Yesterday evening around seven, I went in the kitchen and put a couple of wine glasses on the worktop, went to the fridge and then walked back with a container of milk in my hand?
Why, just why???

Following on from a WBMT post, I made recently, it seems that many of us of a certain age seem to be suffering from a condition known as "old timers"

Just just for fun....

I've finally lost it, although I guess I shouldn't be baffled ...

I just tried to take off my reading glasses ...
.... that I wasn't wearing!

If I go upstairs and forgot why I went up there, I go in the loo, just it case :D
I have 3 toilets 2 up and 1 down , Hopefully I am safe o_O

I always look in the first place I could think of, when its not there I go to the last place...
When its not there, I back to the first place I looked, and its invariably there (y)
( how does that happen ? )
You are male, you can't look properly ;)

The bulb in the ceiling light in the loo had blown.
As I went in with a new bulb I tried to turn the light on to see what I was doing …
It's so you can see when you fixed it, and to burn your fingers( or these days your retina's with LED bulbs)

The bulb in the ceiling light in the loo had blown.
As I went in with a new bulb I tried to turn the light on to see what I was doing …
I think that’s a “male” thing rather than an “age” thing. I’ve been doing that since I was about 15….. :oops: :$

Filling the kettle with water & waiting ages for it to boil, not realising you haven't switched it on.....

Standing next to my wife's car, pressing the button on the door handle to unlock it without having the car key fob on my person...

It's not just us oldies though, at the weekend I was amused to hear my 9 year old granddaughter addressing (with increasing volume) our Google home hub "Hey Alexa...."

My fridge and microwave are next to each other , Don't ask please :rolleyes:

Filling the kettle with water & waiting ages for it to boil, not realising you haven't switched it on.....

Standing next to my wife's car, pressing the button on the door handle to unlock it without having the car key fob on my person...

It's not just us oldies though, at the weekend I was amused to hear my 9 year old granddaughter addressing (with increasing volume) our Google home hub "Hey Alexa...."

I've done the kettle one and also sometimes putting bread in the toaster and not pressing it down.

Dave

I've done the kettle one and also sometimes putting bread in the toaster and not pressing it down.

Dave
Not just me then :D

Perhaps if she had said please.......just saying ;)

Over Christmas and the New year we were in Cornwall. We went to Tescos at Helston and were checking items on the shelves a couple of paces away from our trolley. I must have wanted something that I thought might be in the next aisle and told my wife I was off there to look for it and she'd join me soon. I took the trolley wheeled it to the end of the aisle and round into the next one and along for a few metres at which point I glanced into the trolley and didn't recognise any of items that we'd bought or would even have bought. Wrong trolley :D I turned back and went back into the aisle we were in and pushed the trolley the length of it looking for someone who looked bemused. I saw an elderly gentleman looking around with a perplexed expression. "Are you looking for your trolley?" I asked. "Yes". I re-united him with his trolley and we had a laugh. He said he thought he was having a senior moment . I said "No, not you, I was " My wife was there too with our trolley and gave me a :rolleyes: look........:)

Over Christmas and the New year we were in Cornwall. We went to Tescos at Helston and were checking items on the shelves a couple of paces away from our trolley. I must have wanted something that I thought might be in the next aisle and told my wife I was off there to look for it and she'd join me soon. I took the trolley wheeled it to the end of the aisle and round into the next one and along for a few metres at which point I glanced into the trolley and didn't recognise any of items that we'd bought or would even have bought. Wrong trolley :D I turned back and went back into the aisle we were in and pushed the trolley the length of it looking for someone who looked bemused. I saw an elderly gentleman looking around with a perplexed expression. "Are you looking for your trolley?" I asked. "Yes". I re-united him with his trolley and we had a laugh. He said he thought he was having a senior moment . I said "No, not you, I was " My wife was there too with our trolley and gave me a :rolleyes: look........:)
I have put stuff in the wrong trolley without realising until I came to unload our trolley at the checkout & found things 'missing'. Presumably some other customer in the store had a surprise when they discovered 'extras' at the checkout ?

I have put stuff in the wrong trolley without realising until I came to unload our trolley at the checkout & found things 'missing'. Presumably some other customer in the store had a surprise when they discovered 'extras' at the checkout ?
Some time ago, at a garden center, I started to "shop" out of someone else's ( parked up) trolley, quite accidentally, well they had the exact item
I wanted, the person I was with had a problem with it, but the other person hadn't paid for it, so I don't see the problem :D

(Yes I did apologise when it was pointed out though)

Many years ago my son worked for a 'warehouse club' outlet at weekends. One evening he had to call store security when two customers got into a fight over the last remaining item on sale. One customer kept on attempting to 'steal' the item from the other customers trolley & it turned violent.

I recall my parents doing some shopping in Morrisons and when they got back to 'their' car my dad unlocked it and as he was unloading the shopping into the boot a man came to him and thanked him for his generosity. :) They had identical cars....same make and colour but amazingly the key for my dad's car opened that chap's car.

@Nod I have a loud voice anyway, some people don't like it and think I'm angry and shout a lot, to be fair I do shout on the phone sometimes, especially when certain call centres are being annoying *cough*Plusnet*cough*

Of course, I've never lost my mobile then tried to find it using the mobile in my pocket that I had lost... Nope, not never ever ever!

I'm sure it's because she realises that Alexa isn't 'real'.
She's a smart cookie & like many other children of her age totally relaxed with technology. She has an Amazon Echo Dot at home, her dad has an Echo Show.....

It always amused me when I was a school IT Network Manager how many students could run rings round the staff as far as IT skills were concerned. The little 'cherubs' kept me & my team on our toes monitoring and resisting their attempts at breaching network security.

She's a smart cookie & like many other children of her age totally relaxed with technology. She has an Amazon Echo Dot at home, her dad has an Echo Show.....

It always amused me when I was a school IT Network Manager how many students could run rings round the staff as far as IT skills were concerned. The little 'cherubs' kept me & my team on our toes monitoring and resisting their attempts at breaching network security.

I'm trying to recall what piece of technology I'd just bought that I had to take it to the 12 year old next door (at that time). He opened the door to me and stood there doing whatever he did and shortly I left with a functioning item :) .

Last edited:
When we were at school back in the late 80s, the best computer we had was an Acorn Archimedes or a BBC Micro Model B, to be fair though it had some nice games such as the Repton series (Boulderdash clones)

whatever he did and shortly I left with a functioning item :) .
He didn't tell you it was an I-d-10-T issue, did he?
:D

10mm socket?
Otherwise known as portal keys to the alternate dimension where odd socks and guitar picks dwell……

Back