Am I mad - Sell 16-85mm Nikkor for 105mm Sigma Macro?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Being close to Christmas money is being spent on other less important things such as pressies for the kids, my 16-85mm Nikkor VR spends the whole time in my bag which seems to be a waste.

Its incredibly sharp and only a couple of months old, but I can't have taken more than 500 shots with it, I'm thinking of selling it to buy a 105mm Sigma Macro which I know I'll get a lot more use out of (for macro and portraits), especially over the winter indoors :thinking::thinking::thinking:

At the moment I use my 50mm F1.8 99% of the time as I love its low light capabilities, I've also got access to a 18-70mm (wife's) so would still have a walkabout lens... Am I nuts? :wacky:

Not mad at all, sounds like a very logical step if you are not putting much use into that lens. Also, the Sigma 105/2.8 is a fantastic lens, very sharp and will give you a lot of pleasures beyond macro shots.

Anyone rate the Sigma 180mm Macro as saw one cheap today and thought about it?

nice evening portrait lens with great bokeh I would have thought, but odd that its native F is F/3.5....

Is it that odd to be f3.5? The Nikon 200 macro is an f4, for what it's worth, not that far off from the 180/3.5 :shrug:?

OP you cant sell things anywhere else if selling on AVF, just a heads up. (y)

oh and for what its worth, i think you should go down the sigma route too, im looking out for one as well.

The 16-85mm is a great lens.. one day if you sell it, you proberly end up regretting it later on down the line.

If anything i would sell your wife 18-70mm, and let her use the 16-85mm then get the 105mm Macro with the money from that.

At least then you will have the 16-85mm to fall back on, when it comes to needing it.

Yes, you are mad! You should be going for the Tamron 90mm instead! It may be a more agreeable length for indoor portraits too, depending on how big your rooms are of course. Speaking as an owner I can't recommend it enough.

nice evening portrait lens with great bokeh I would have thought, but odd that its native F is F/3.5....

I have one i like it as a portrait lens takes good shots with nice bokeh,use it mainly for macro though as it's quite a lump when not tripod mounted(y)

The 16-85mm is a great lens.. one day if you sell it, you proberly end up regretting it later on down the line.

If anything i would sell your wife 18-70mm, and let her use the 16-85mm then get the 105mm Macro with the money from that.

At least then you will have the 16-85mm to fall back on, when it comes to needing it.

Unfortunately I've only just bought the wife the 18-70mm for xmas, so can't really sell it. You may be right about me regretting it, but then I might not miss it at all, and I know I'll get much more use out of the alternative...

Yes, you are mad! You should be going for the Tamron 90mm instead! It may be a more agreeable length for indoor portraits too, depending on how big your rooms are of course. Speaking as an owner I can't recommend it enough.

Don't confuse things even more! I did look at the Tamron, the reviews are pretty similar to the Sigma, how does the build quality compare?

Pete .... it's a stonking lens.... the copy I have is tack sharp. That's always the way with Sigma.... sometimes you get a really good one :shrug:

I think f3.5 is something to do with matching it to lens mounted ring flash modules...... it is quite heavy though :(

Back