Am I making this more complicated than I need to.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
1. I have almost no experience of milky way photography so I may be over thinking this.
2. Olympus cameras owners may be better placed to comment, so moderators please move/ delete this post if I have posted incorrectly.

I have the new OM1 camera and a newly acquired and untested Move - shoot -move tracker and would like to try some MW shots.

The Olympus camera has a high res mode which will take and stack images automatically to give a 50 or 80MB image. It is my understanding that this should give a better and cleaner final image than a straight one off exposure. The down side of this (I believe) is that if I do, say, a 1 minute exposure (using the MSM) the camera needs to take multiple shots to stack thereby considerably extending the time for each image. If after doing this the result is incorrectly exposed that is time wasted.

The Oly also has a "Live Time" feature that allows you to keep the shutter open and watch the image build up on the LCD and to stop the exposure when the image/histogram looks correct. It would be my intention to take this route initially to see exactly what exposure time was needed then retake the image using the high resolution feature of the camera. Hopefully this would give me a well exposed low noise capture.
Does this sound like a good plan or am I just over complicating things.

For info the widest WA lens I have is F2.8. I did consider the 17mm (24mm ff equivalent) f 1.2 but feel this may be a little on the long side.

Any help/advice given would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Over complicating things.

When I started out I was shooting at 24mm FF. 15 seconds, f/1.8 and about 1600iso. Take 6 images and stack them in about 40 seconds in Sequator. You might need to shoot longer speeds for the foreground.

Back