Amazon - are they S**t

I ordered a camera strap on Thursday, not prime, and it stated a guaranteed delivery on Sunday.
Later Thursday I got an email, they are not going to deliver it on Sunday, it is arriving on Saturday!
On Friday morning I got another email, the Saturday delivery is cancelled, it is arriving Friday afternoon - and it did.
No complaints at all.

Reactions: Sky
I ordered a camera strap on Thursday, not prime, and it stated a guaranteed delivery on Sunday.
Later Thursday I got an email, they are not going to deliver it on Sunday, it is arriving on Saturday!
On Friday morning I got another email, the Saturday delivery is cancelled, it is arriving Friday afternoon - and it did.
No complaints at all.

yeah mine are the same, i get email saying despatched will be with you in 3-5 days (i always have free delivery) and its often here next day.
I have just ordered some balanced xlr cables from Amazon in Germany, despatched today and say 30th April, lets see..............

A BIG thank you AMAZON , Boy how you have changed my life ( For the better ) :cool:

Not anger - frustration. Nine out of ten things delivered by Hermes is either late, damaged or goes missing. :facepalm:

Maybe to you but I can't remember the last time we had a problem with any delivery from the big river, whichever courier they have used. Only have prime for a month at a time when I mess up and miss one of the several opt out buttons...

Maybe to you but I can't remember the last time we had a problem with any delivery from the big river, whichever courier they have used.

You're one of the lucky few then - it's certainly not just me that has problems with them. Mention Hermes just about anywhere and you'll hear tales of woe and incompetence.

Had the same Hermes driver here for a good few years - He's German and I'd guess in his early 60s. Most big river stuff these days comes via their own vans.

You must have made sure that every aspect of your life runs 100% perfectly thus a late parcel seems like a seismic event in your super perfect world.

It isn't the late parcel, it is the fact that I wasted two days inside the house waiting for it to arrive.

If amazon have failed on their prime promises i normally go complain to their customer services who normally give a free month extension on my prime subscription.
I normally get about one a year on average which means they massively screw up about once a year on average. considering i buy literally 100s of items from them, that isn't all that bad plus I get a free month on prime subscription.

It isn't the late parcel, it is the fact that I wasted two days inside the house waiting for it to arrive.
So you have had a bad experience doesn't mean the whole company is ****.

Perhaps your next order from Amazon should contain a "chill pill" ;)

Only issue we have occasionally is they can deliver early, not too bad for a DVD but 15kg of dog food delivered midweek when it should be on a Sunday can be a pain for the neighbours.

Who the hell actually stays in to wait for a parcel, if Im out its left in our chosen place or delivered to a neighbour. Occasionally its a royal mail parcel and is left at the local sorting office..
Its only goods id need to deal with on arrival - white goods, building materials and then I just plan to be at home for the day, doesnt mean the Mrs cant go out.
Im fairly sure Amazon will be checking on my welfare if i miss a week with out having something delivered. Tomorrow its hoover bags for work, buggered if im going out to a shop to find some.

We probably have a daily deliver from Amazon and rarely have a problem. Marketplace is less reliable.
Amazon are better than any other internet supplier we use.
Perhaps you were just unlucky.

No problems at all with Amazon, stuff usually arrives on or most likely before the date specified. However there was this one time when
I'm pretty sure I never nominated under the car, in front of a front wheel as a "safe place" !
Good job I spotted it, it wasn't wasn't very big, and I could easily have squashed it.

My Hermes person was brilliant, If I missed her, she'd put a card through the door with her phone number.
She lived very local and would always drop round that evening, with it.

Now, the one I have, is totally useless, I don't think she speaks very much English, at all.
I tried to talk to her once about sending a parcel back.
I refused delivery because it had taken a month to arrive and I'd been refunded (Ebay purchase)
I eventually made her understand, ( some how) she left with the parcel.

About a week later it was back on my doorstep, sopping wet, it had been raining for about 4 days, and I hadn't "been out front" in 3.
One electronic kids toy ruined. Yes I had the refund, but that's not really the point.

I also have a notice right next to the bell, "If no answer please leave <in the safe place> on the note.
And again, that isn't on my doorstep in the pouring rain..

Last edited:

Why? Parcels could come between 8am and 8pm. Is there not a neighbour it would be left with or even left behind bins etc. Often we come back and there is something left.

I grant that Amazon are largely very efficient and generally reliable. But I always try to find someone else to buy from that is local or at least a smaller business. I hate what they did to bookshops. Delivery-wise they have mostly been very good but I agree Hermes are the weak link, but I've also had bad experiences regularly with Amazon's own couriers. Usually with expensive items that strangely go missing - yes Amazon replace straight away but it does make you wonder.
As for Prime, it doesn't work for me. The delivery service is rarely any better than standard free delivery for my purchases, and I cannot find more than the occasional programme or film on Prime that I like (I detest US tv series')
Prime gets you a lot more than free/quick delivery and the tv ( I agree the tv can be a bit hit and miss but then it does have Vikings which is superb. Has some surprisingly decent films too if you’re prepared to hunt through the dross). I use Prime music a lot plus I use their free photo storage. My wife loves Prime reading for free access to magazines and books. That all adds up to decent value.

Ordered a micro SD from amazon prime and it said arriving tomorrow, tracking was all the way to the delivery office but they had nothing a week later I got it. Shocking, most things come next day but a lot of the stuff says arriving before 8PM never happens.

My wife has Amazon Prime, and seems quite happy with it. I use her account to buy books occasionally, but I prefer dealing with Abe Books (they're part of Amazon) directly.

We've never had any serious delivery problems, but Hermes have caused some irritation. We live on the 1/F of a large, converted, Victorian house in Edinburgh. All the other couriers use the intercom at the front door and we let them into the building, but Hermes have their own way of doing things. Packages are left outside, on the front step and my wife gets an sms an hour later telling her it's there. OK, the risk of theft is minimal, but the risk of rain/water damage isn't...

Ordered a micro SD from amazon prime and it said arriving tomorrow, tracking was all the way to the delivery office but they had nothing a week later I got it. Shocking, most things come next day but a lot of the stuff says arriving before 8PM never happens.

Exactly my experience.

You're one of the lucky few then - it's certainly not just me that has problems with them. Mention Hermes just about anywhere and you'll hear tales of woe and incompetence.

That's why they get called Herpes.

yeah mine are the same, i get email saying despatched will be with you in 3-5 days (i always have free delivery) and its often here next day.
I have just ordered some balanced xlr cables from Amazon in Germany, despatched today and say 30th April, lets see..............

arrived Saturday 6 days ahead of estimate Amazon from Germany

No problem with hermes here either.
Last delivery I had been out and coming home a white van was blocking the road, driver started
I shouted at him that there was no rush, asked he was Hermes delivery, as I was expecting something
Yes he had my package, which he gave to me, saving him driving round the estate where it can be a pain to park

As I posted elsewhere.
I was upstairs earlier, the bell rang it takes less than 30 seconds to get to the front door..
When I opened the door the <Hermes> courier was wandering up and down next doors drive, its my unattached neighbour but our drives are side by side ..
I'd left a note on the door if no reply please leave in garage.
She couldn't find my garage, you know, the one that's attached to my house, and the one that the ( small) drive ends at.
So I pointed it out to her... Is it possible to miss it? obviously!

She then said, but how am I supposed to open it? ... with the handle dear Lisa the handle :D

As I posted elsewhere.
I was upstairs earlier, the bell rang it takes less than 30 seconds to get to the front door..
When I opened the door the <Hermes> courier was wandering up and down next doors drive, its my unattached neighbour but our drives are side by side ..
I'd left a note on the door if no reply please leave in garage.
She couldn't find my garage, you know, the one that's attached to my house, and the one that the ( small) drive ends at.
So I pointed it out to her... Is it possible to miss it? obviously!

She then said, but how am I supposed to open it? ... with the handle dear Lisa the handle :D

LOL! Does make you wonder.. :ROFLMAO:

The courier who delivers the most wrong items to us is... Royal Mail. Wrong number is the most common, followed by wrong road.

I've ordered literally hundreds of items ranging from the mundane to the obscure from Amazon in the past 10 years and not once have I ever been let down. If anything, Amazon has been the real hero in the past year while in lockdown.

I really should have a Prime account as it would probably save me a fortune in postage, but what's done is done.

Only issue we have occasionally is they can deliver early, not too bad for a DVD but 15kg of dog food delivered midweek when it should be on a Sunday can be a pain for the neighbours.
We took in a 60" TV and a bench for our neighbours so 15kg of Dog food every 6 weeks is fair game in my book!

Never had a problem ordering anything from Amazon. My recent delivery was from Hong Kong and was supposed to take up to a month and it arrived only 1 week later :D

Been an Amazon customer for many years and always rated it highly, but 2 years ago I had an issue with a delivery.

I'd ordered a bottle of gin as a gift from them and it was to be delivered to my 84 year old mother - they wouldn't leave the package with her as she didn't have photo id so it went back and the order was cancelled.

• Wow
Ordered a camera strap on Sunday. Said it would arrive tomorrow and I recieved it yesterday. Came from Germany. Good service.

They got me again with delivery times. A few times now I've ordered things which are "In stock" only to receive the confirmation email to find that it'll be delivered in a few weeks time as "In Stock" really means in stock in China. I can't believe I fell for this again yesterday. Doubtless if I read the small print it'll say delivery in 3-5 weeks but in no doubt smaller text than that which says "Fastest delivery 3 days."

I buy a lot of stuff from them but I really am going to have to train myself to check the delivery times very closely as expecting something to come tomorrow or within a few days and then finding it'll take weeks bugs me a lot. Not good Amazon.

They got me again with delivery times. A few times now I've ordered things which are "In stock" only to receive the confirmation email to find that it'll be delivered in a few weeks time as "In Stock" really means in stock in China. I can't believe I fell for this again yesterday. Doubtless if I read the small print it'll say delivery in 3-5 weeks but in no doubt smaller text than that which says "Fastest delivery 3 days."

I buy a lot of stuff from them but I really am going to have to train myself to check the delivery times very closely as expecting something to come tomorrow or within a few days and then finding it'll take weeks bugs me a lot. Not good Amazon.
Sounds like Marketplace traders not playing by the rules, rather than Amazon themselves. The headline delivery estimate should be given in good faith. Can you cancel the order?

If it's a marketplace seller I still think Amazon is responsible as it's their site and their brand. Unfortunately it's been shipped now.

Usually despatched in 3-5 days in big red letters.

Fastest delivery May 19-21.

Actual delivery as stated in the email... mid June.

I'm just p'd off that I've fallen for this again but I will try and make sure this is the last time.

"In Stock" really means in stock in China.
I've been caught like that in the past too, eBay though, not Amazon.
You do a UK only search, only to find that some Asian guy has his location as "Leicester"
or some such.
I always check out the business details now.

Amazon Marketplace traders are pretty much the same as ebay traders (they often run shops on both). In either case, you need to check feedback before ordering and, when someone messes you about, leave feedback for the next person. Unless an item is marked 'Dispatched from and sold by Amazon', it's being sold by a trader, who could be anyone, anywhere. One thing that's particularly irritating these days is the avalanche of generic tat, mostly from China, with a brand name the trader has just made up from random syllables, that buries the trusted brand names for just about any piece of consumer electronics. Try searching for a decent USB hub on Amazon.

This is a problem, it's difficult to by quality and price is not necessarily a good indicator.

But the same is true in the shops too I suppose. I was looking at some T shirts in M&S, £40 a piece and every one on the rack (I went through them) had at least one easily seen manufacturing fault, and not the same one BTW :D Compare that to TJ Hughes where they sell T shirts that look manufacturing defect free for £8.

All the years I've been buying from Amazon, I've never had an issue, and never had to return an item.
I bought an electronic item recently, ( fulfilled by Amazon) which was faulty from the start.
I clicked on return an item, expecting hassle of some kind, but I was pleasantly surprised just how easy it was.

Checked the item on their site, out of curiosity, and it said no longer available...
Looks like I wasn't the only one then ;)

The only down side is the fact that it's being collected by Hermes tomorrow :rolleyes:

Back