Amazon echo show and luddites....

Name
Suz
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it possible to use an Amazon echo show without any smartphone being in the house or linking it in any way to a mobile phone? Any contact number if essential would be a landline one as PAYG Mobile numbers don't always persist with low usage.

If not, would a fire tablet with the Alexa app on it do instead as a stand-alone device?

I'm considering whether it might be worth persuading my Luddite Dad to join this century with wifi and Alexa. The video calling and information searching could be quite useful and some of his pensioner friends may also get one if someone they know that's internet avoidant manages to operate it ok.

I don’t believe a phone Is needed at all, it connects to WiFi And your amazon account.

I'd have to set up an amazon account for him. If that's all that is needed then it's not as bothersome as it could have been.

You set the echo show up on its screen. No other device required.

I'd have to set up an amazon account for him. If that's all that is needed then it's not as bothersome as it could have been..
You might do better with a fire tablet. More portable and a wider range of uses. The latest ones have Alexa hands free built in.

Last edited:
Can you create a new amazon account as part of the initial set up? That would make it even easier.
I’m not sure, but you could always create an account for him using your computer

It'd be easier to do it in one go if it's possible during the set up.

A fire tablet might be more flexible (y)

Last edited:
Back