Amazon Echo

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
We have an iPod dock which is getting a bit long in the tooth and only has a connection for my old iPhone 4S (I now have a 6S) so I was thinking of getting an Echo, specifically this one

In the description, it says

Just ask for a song, artist or genre from Amazon Music, Spotify, TuneIn and more. With multi-room music, you can play music on Echo devices in different rooms, available for Amazon Music, TuneIn and Spotify; Bluetooth not supported

Does it mean that bluetooth isn't supported for multi-room music or not at all? I want to use it so that I can play music from my phone rather than Spotify etc.

We have an iPod dock which is getting a bit long in the tooth and only has a connection for my old iPhone 4S (I now have a 6S) so I was thinking of getting an Echo, specifically this one

In the description, it says

Does it mean that bluetooth isn't supported for multi-room music or not at all? I want to use it so that I can play music from my phone rather than Spotify etc.

They all do Bluetooth ("Alexa, connect my phone") but I think playback via Bluetooth from your phone is only to one device at a time. I can say "Alexa, play xxx on Spotify everywhere" and it works but I can't a2dp Bluetooth the same way.

They all do Bluetooth ("Alexa, connect my phone") but I think playback via Bluetooth from your phone is only to one device at a time. I can say "Alexa, play xxx on Spotify everywhere" and it works but I can't a2dp Bluetooth the same way.

Ah, so "Bluetooth not supported" does apply to multi-room only. Makes sense and good to know, thanks.

I have Bluetooth on mine and it’s the very first gen echo,
I have a Spotify premium account so it’s fine to just ask for a song,
But also have Apple Music which I got free with my contract,
So use that on my phone aswell,
Just say Alexa pair Bluetooth and that’s all there is to it,
Select EchoDLP on your phones Bluetooth and away you go,
If this is what your question means,
Unless they removed the Bluetooth functionality on the newer models it should work,
Mines the very first and it has it,
Seems a step back in my opinion if the new ones don’t have Bluetooth

Last edited:
I have Bluetooth on mine and it’s the very first gen echo,
I have a Spotify premium account so it’s fine to just ask for a song,
But also have Apple Music which I got free with my contract,
So use that on my phone aswell,
Just say Alexa pair Bluetooth and that’s all there is to it,
Select EchoDLP on your phones Bluetooth and away you go,
If this is what your question means,
Unless they removed the Bluetooth functionality on the newer models it should work,
Mines the very first and it has it,
Seems a step back in my opinion if the new ones don’t have Bluetooth

It seems it does have bluetooth just not for multi-room, as @landwomble says above.

Can you pair more than one phone with it?

It seems it does have bluetooth just not for multi-room, as @landwomble says above.

Yeah you can pair more than one device and it’ll remember them but one will have to be disconnected before the other can be used,
Can’t simultaneousley have a few connected

Yeah you can pair more than one device and it’ll remember them but one will have to be disconnected before the other can be used,
Can’t simultaneousley have a few connected

Cool, thanks

If you think about it, the only way multiroom Bluetooth would work is if the Echoes set up a mesh network between themselves like Sonos, which would add cost. You need some way of one speaker passing a digital audio signal in real time to the other units.

Back