Amazon Prime

WTF?
That truly is outrageous !

It certainly is.

In fairness to Amazon though, I have to say they've always sorted out any issues I've had instantly - I just phone them up on 0800 279 7234 and that's it.

NB. If anyone uses this number, just wait for the recorded waffle about Prime to finish and you'll get through to an actual person.

Well, she says she clicked nothing and then goes on to say she was in checkout and ticked a box so that is at least 3 clicks from the sales page. From observing friends and family I would say people often "wave" the mouse pointer about while they are "thinking" and often click and change or open things without realising and then you get "Oh how did that happen?"!!!!!!!

She says she ticked the 'correct location' box - perhaps that is the trigger (i.e. there's a bug in their system that signs some customers up to Prime as soon as they tick the shipping/delivery location box).

Last edited:
They do something called Amazon Prime Video which - according to Google - is £5.99/month but when you click through it takes you to an "Amazon Prime" landing page which is £7.99/month. :thinking:

The wife uses Amazon Pantry, I use the unlimited photo storage as a disconnected cloud vault for my photos, and we both occasionally use the TV & free delivery so it's well worth it for us. Still agree with the discomfort over the slightly insidious way they go about getting you to sign up though.

Just had a look and i'm subscribed to the prime video package ( £5.99 a month ) which by the looks of it does not include next day delivery or any sort of free priority postage

cheers :)

She says she ticked the 'correct location' box - perhaps that is the trigger (i.e. there's a bug in their system that signs some customers up to Prime as soon as they tick the shipping/delivery location box).
Maybe not a bug. When you are checking out (non prime) with an item over £20 it has a paid for delivery checked which you have to change to "free"* but before you change to free* there is a box to "default to these delivery details in future" which disappears as son as you choose free*. I guess that may be what she ticked thinking it was just confirming her address etc.

*free - there is no free now, you are charged and then it is taken off again as a "promotion".

This appears to be on the .com site so maybe there is a subtle difference on the website - or maybe it's because she's USAnian :)

This appears to be on the .com site so maybe there is a subtle difference on the website - or maybe it's because she's USAnian :)

Yes, it's the .com site and most posters are USAnians (good word :clap:) - some of them are UK folk though (they're talking in £s rather than $s) - pages 10,11,12 have some.

And another thing ... when Amazon started I thing everything was free delivery and in a sense they are being consistent because now everything is next day delivery. When you opt for the "free promotional" 3-5 day delivery they just sit on your order for 3 days and then dispatch it and it arrives next day :-( . I know you are getting what you pay for but you just feel they are taking the proverbial.

Back