Answered American English?

Plain Nev

Vincent Furnier
Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
My messages constantly have the spelling flagged up because it is not in American English. Is there any way that we can set our preference to UK English?

I think it is as Elliott says - I just tried it here and I am not getting "organisation" flagged in a PM

As above, there are lots of spell / grammar checkers available as add on widgets for all browsers.

I did check that and reset it to English UK. But the pesky thing seems to have defaulted to American.

Organisation and organization are both acceptable spellings (IIRC it's down to the original derivation of words rather than American/proper spelling!)

Color gets flagged for me, as do other dropped u words. Not sure when we added the u this side of the pond but it seems to have been before Samuel Johnson wrote his big book! Interestingly (or not!), Colorization is acceptable (to my [British] spell checker) as is Colourisation.

You are not wrong, @Nod I just rechecked (or is it rechequed?) and it is flagging Original English spellings indeed.

@Cobra @sirch I've just gone into Admin and created an additional English UK language but disabled it at present. Maybe something for one of you to test in the wee small hours when you are online and I'm putting out the Zees/Zeds?

AFAIK, it is a browser setting but most browsers default to the operating system setting. So may be check your operating system default languages, often there is both English (US) and English (UK) set in the OS, the one at the top usually wins but to be safe remove English (US) if it is there

That's exactly what I did. I now have UK English installed. As per the Oxford English dictionary. And so far at least I have not noticed any issues.

Reactions: Nod
As the saying goes "two nations divided by a common language"

Reactions: Nod
Back