Amsterdam (tulips!) and Paris last minute advise

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I will be travelling in a week, each for 3 days... That should be exciting but fairly rushed. I will be using public transport, unless car hire can mean an important shot I can't get otherwise.

I'd like some last minute pointers please. If you know me i am into pretty landscapes and cityscapes, but not so much about street and people.

If the weather is great I'd like some stunning tulip flower field shots, windmills, etc. Sunsets and sunrises ideally. What are the best accessible spots in the countryside?
And something interesting and iconic in Amsterdam too

what about Paris - Versailles, Eiffel tower (from ground 0 :) ) the churches?

What if it just keeps on raining? Any indoors plan B?

I am back, so this is time for some reflections.

Amsterdam/Netherlands:
Fairly cool and very relaxed city. Plenty of weed in all forms and shapes, and you will consume (2nd hand) a lot even if you don't spend a single cent on it. There is plenty of the other trade too. It is cycling city but strangely all their bikes are total old rubbish. Just bring your own if you intend to cycle and serious distances, and make sure to take a very good lock. Don't expect to hire anything decent. Parking is about E40 a day so out of question.
Architecture is fairly uniform across the city; everything is built to the same plan. There is a big canal network, with cars parked near the edges, narrow stone paved streets and fairly tall old buildings. It is quite interesting, and can yield some nice sunset/sunrise pics facing the right direction. There is enough to look around for one day... Safety wise - no problems even in the red lights late in the evening. Just don't do anything stupid
There is one windmill in Amsterdam, but it is in a fairly crowded location. There is much better one in Haarlem (15min train ride). Haarlem is very quiet and picturesque (and free from the famous trades). It is almost an antithesis to Amsterdam.
Keukenhoff is well worth a visit even for a steep price. It is basically a huge botanical garden open only in the spring. There are some fields nearby, and they should be now in full bloom. I was a little too early this year. It is best to take the bike on the train or go by car to explore the countryside.

Paris:
That is one beautiful city, and unlike Amsterdam even 2 months would be too little there. It is enormous. There is loads to see all over the place, so I think it is a bit pointless to spend time listing everything, I'll just highlight the Louvre, Monmartre, Eiffel scaffolding, and the riverside.
Louvre has amazing collection of pictures, but it is also interesting itself - don't forget to look up and around. It is so big that even 2 days are not enough to see the whole collection.
Queues are massive everywhere. Entry to Notre Dam tower can take over 3-4h, same for Eiffel, etc. I couldn't be asked to wait for any of that when I could see other places.
If you are under 26 entry is pretty much free anywhere. No good for me though...
Safety - no issues again. Just don't leave the wallet sticking out of a rear pocket or a handbag and just keep it in the jacket's inner pocket. Louvre or busy metro trains (just fait for another) are your best chance to get lifted
Montparnasse tower is probably the best high sunset location (closed for sunrise) or Sacre couer tower. It is just a bit sad I didn't have a single picture worthy evening

Great summary :) I have been wanting to go to Dam to take some photos, do you have any photos on here?

Paris is another place I'd love to see, and being 20, I can look forward to free entry! Those queues do sound very long though!

Great summary :) I have been wanting to go to Dam to take some photos, do you have any photos on here?

Paris is another place I'd love to see, and being 20, I can look forward to free entry! Those queues do sound very long though!

Check out my flickr and my website. I will add a few over next few days. I didn't get everything I've expected, but for the first trip it was a good start

When you go to Paris, try to book as many tickets as you can online. This can save some waiting time. Or be there before they open in Notre Dam (9 or 10AM). If you can take a whole week for Paris

Enjoy.

Back