An alternative way of printing

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this photograph in Cyprus, https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...as-Protaras_Paralimni_Famagusta_District.html. I took some pictures, this for example....

1439_002 copy.jpg

Just in case you don't think this is relevant, the picture is taken with a Voitglander Vito II, on Kodak 200-8, Kodak Gold I think (works well in bright conditions but not well otherwise), so this is definatively a film technique.

I'm using this to illustrate my technique. This would be possible to create a colour image, but here I'm going to start with a mono laser print.

IMG_1607.jpg

Next step is to transfer the image to the linoleum medium.

IMG_1611.jpg

Last edited:
To get the image onto the lino I use acrylic transfer medium.

Here is a blob on the lino.

IMG_1611.jpg

Brush it onto the lino and squeeze a piece of thin copy paper on top.

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

Squeeze.

Last edited:
Next, leave to dry for 24 hours.

It is necessary to remove the paper from the lino. So it bit of soaking in warm water is required, and the image on the lino will appear...

IMG_1628.jpg

Next step is to remove the paper which is masking the image, by rubbing the paper off, a sponge works.

IMG_1629.jpg

Almost done.

IMG_1630.jpg

Last edited:
Don't be deceived by the wet, contrasty image. When it dries it will be very much less contrasty. So, here is a way of enhancing the contrast, which will help if you can't immediately dig in.

I ink in the outlines, at least.

IMG_1633.jpg

All done!

IMG_1634.jpg

So the good bit, get your lino cutting tools and dig in.

Here it is done. Both two and three dimensional.

IMG_1636.jpg

Sorry, very fuzzy picture.

And so, the prints. You have to get inked up!

IMG_1638.jpg

Two, almost, finished prints.

IMG_1641.jpg

On the left, a print on watercolour paper, on the right a print on a postcard paper, a bit too weighty and textured, never mind some poor sucker will be getting a card soon.

So there you have it, simples.

Next step is to take more mono pictures which are suited to this printing technique.

Cool!

A question; the step which says "squeeze a piece of thin copy paper on top", is the thin copy paper the piece of paper with the laser print of the picture on it? So the transfer medium essentially sticks the laser toner to the liner and then the paper on which the picture was printed is ribbed off leaving the image on the lino which can then be carved away?

Yes, the photocopy is the print which is transferred to the lino, sorry I didn't make that clear. I also put a thin piece of paper on the the back when I squeeze the photocopy onto the lino, just to gather up any excess transfer medium. I don't know anything about the physics of the the transfer process, although maybe the medium I use is no more effective then any acrylic paint?

Thanks, got it now!

Me neither, but I have seen the text from a laser print adhere to a plastic folder which has been left on top of the print so I guess some compounds, like the transfer medium, will transfer the laser toner from a print better than others.

Love seeing stuff like this. Very creative!

Back