An amazing photograph

:eek::eek::eek:

HOW many filters would you need?!?!

Stunning shot. Thanks for sharing (y)

Meticulous planning and perfect execution = fantastic shot, well done that man!

A ten stop welding glass and an adequate shutter speed should do the trick???

He would have been soooo pi55ed if it had gone cloudy !

I have seen this in several papers... I wonder how much money you'd make from this photo ?

Certainly a very well planned and well taken shot but technically nothing special!

Certainly a very well planned and well taken shot but technically nothing special!

I would probably say exposing the photo would be in itself a very technical thing to manage, wouldn't you? Working within seconds to expose for such a HUGGGGGGE light source would be pretty hard to do.

Qudos to the photographer, certainly a well executed shot.

Actually, no I wouldn't, as the Sun would have been there long enough to get the exposure correct! But I do agree all kudos to Thierry for the planning.

As with so many successful photographs, another example of being in the right place at the right time.

I am still too chicken to try putting a filter on my telescope to attempt imaging the sun. I know it shouldn't be a problem if you use the right filter etc., but for the moment as far as attaching a camera to the telescope goes, I'm sticking to nocturnal subjects.

I don't know what photography you do to claim that's nothing special!

I said: That "Technically" it's nothing special! The end result is excellent as the photographer has captured a quite rare moment.

Technically it looks pretty good to me. It's focussed, exposed correctly etc. What photograph is technically special?

I agree it is technically correct! My original post was to those suggesting it was 'technically' a difficult shot, which it isn't!

Well I doubt the photographer just used a body and lens for this shot. I presume he/she used some filters, therefore already raising the 'technical' aspect. Also the article stated that he/she had to be in excactly the right spot at the right time, this was no snapshot. So it surely is a technically very special image.

The article states he used a telescope with filters! If you look at the earlier posts? the technical side seems to be about exposing for the Suns' disc, which whilst impossible without the correct filters is actually quite simple with the correct filters! ... I have acknowledged the planning as excellent work, which it was!

Could you give me an example of a technically special photograph?

Perhaps you could explain why you think it is 'technically' a special shot?

I think there is a lot of labouring on the point here........

OK taking a photo into direct sunlight, knowing how to do so safely, (lots of filters.....) - bolting a DSLR onto a telescope......., knowing where to be in order to capture this.........and when..........

Um, makes it a bit more clever (technical) than a 600mm prime bolted onto your (choice of body) in my book......:shrug:

I think there is a lot of labouring on the point here........

OK taking a photo into direct sunlight, knowing how to do so safely, (lots of filters.....) - bolting a DSLR onto a telescope......., knowing where to be in order to capture this.........and when..........

Um, makes it a bit more clever (technical) than a 600mm prime bolted onto your (choice of body) in my book......:shrug:

I agree! but I know of this photographer and I seriously doubt he did it in the way you imply! I feel that he will have used a dedicated Solar scope and Skynyks or DMK type camera .. The Solar scope will have Ha (Hydrogen Alpa) filter with a dedicated etalon to permit only light in the Ha range between 0.5 and 1 angstrom! my guess is about 0.7 angstrom :thinking: OK now that all sounds technical, but it's really not! It's just about having the right equipment and knowing how to use it. ... He could have also used a white light filter or one of the 'thousand optics' filters which give a yellowish / orange sun image. All these filters give a mono image and the cameras capture typically 30 to 60 fps. The scope would also require tracking!

It would be quite possible, although not easy! to take this shot with a decent lens and white light filter (available on ebay for about £50)

I guess the word 'technical' is something judged against knowledge?

It is truly stunning and takes a lot of planning to get it right...

details on the kit and capture are

http://www.axilone.com/legault/iss_atlantis_transit.html

It's a single frame from a 5d, but he has some very very nice astro kit, a 150mm Takahashi Apo refractor is about the same price as the Canon 800mm L ...

Gotta say, this would be damned impressive with a 60 fps camera, capturing 2000 frames and picking one, but to have got this on a single frame on an SLR... he's good.

I'm also with Derek, in that I've not been brave enough, as yet, to buy and try the filters out.

For safe solar imaging/observing, you need something like the filters on here...

http://firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=140

The first one will work just fine, if setup properly.

Technically demanding pictures?

How about some of Stephen Dalton's high speed nature images.
Micro photography using different light sources.
Photographs of turbine blades in the high pressure side of a jet engine whilst it is actually running (Rolls Royce do this all the time). The blades are running in air that is hotter than their own melting point!
Multiple exposure images - they are technically demanding.

there must be loads of other examples.

I think it just shows how a very small part of the frame can be vital to the overalleffect. Try covering the spec of space ship and see the difference! It is less than 1% of the total image, yet that 1% MAKES the image......a compositional masterpiece.

Back