An Apology

Bubbs

Bhaji Bev....
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to apologies for not posting for ages, I'm not trying to start a debate but haven't posted because i don't feel i know enough about photography to even begin to criticise others when i don't feel my photography is great!

After finally discussing with Paul (Grendel) he pointed out criticism and critic are 2 different things it really made me think. He asked if i enjoyed Tourchwood tonight and i said i did and explain why and he pointed out that i could do that and i was not a film producer or director yet i felt confident to give my opinions!

My photos are not great because i struggle with the processing, something i can search or ask for help with however sometimes feel intimidated to do so something i need to get over.

I enjoy photography and am a photographer who will take a photo like i have a film camera i will only take a max of 5 photos of the same thing and i've either got the shot or i haven't its the next step i struggle with and what stops me posting so much, i will try and post more.

I am off to Skomer this weekend and i really want to have some photos i am really proud off and will want to post and share :) what i need to do is work on the processing and not feel like i can't comment on other peoples photos.

Once again apologies for being away so long and i will try and have more confidence to know whatever my opinion it is still worthwhile.

A very well written post there IMO and one that I think we can all take heed of.
Inparticular this

criticism and critic are 2 different things it really made me think. He asked if i enjoyed Tourchwood tonight and i said i did and explain why and he pointed out that i could do that and i was not a film producer or director yet i felt confident to give my opinions!

Anyone can have an opinion :)

Hope you enjoy the weekend Bubbs. Take photos for you.....if you like em, that's what matters!

Good post.
I was always bad at offering crit, especially when it's someone more experienced than me. My wife always says "i know what i like" and she's the most honest criticizer you can find :D

I think most photographers on here will accept crit form anyone. If they don't they shouldn't post a picture in the first place. Not everybody agrees but thats all part of growing.

Hope you enjoy the weekend :)

Once again apologies for being away so long and i will try and have more confidence to know whatever my opinion it is still worthwhile.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion Bev
and don't be frightened to ask for help if you need it (y)
Just relax and enjoy the Skomer curries Puffins.
I look forward to seeing some great shots on your return (y)

Actually what really matters is that your photographs are excellent in every way and worthy of publication.
If not, give up immediately, get back to the kitchen and do some cooking...:D

And I'm buying the next curry - must do a get-together before I deploy in October...

Good grief woman, if I had known that was your reason, I just assumed you were too busy donig that curry thing :LOL: ;)

Bev, take pictures you enjoy and take them for you. Critique pics genuinely and for someone else and most of all, have a bloody great time on Skomer and don't forget how to use your phone, keep us updated (y)

Sorry but why would you even want to criticise others? No matter what level of photography you are at you should never criticise :( TP has many uses other than commenting or critique of other peoples work.

Sorry but why would you even want to criticise others? No matter what level of photography you are at you should never criticise :( TP has many uses other than commenting or critique of other peoples work.

I think thats the point, there is a difference between criticism [which is generally negative] and critique [which is opinion and can be done positively and in a helpful way regardless of your own ability] though I agree, TP has a far wider ranging remit than just offering and asking for critique [as opposed to criticism]

You're right to a degree. But I think unfortunatly the word 'criticise' is the problem. It's an uncomfortable word at the best of times. It make me cringe saying it. But when you use it another way ie 'Constructive Criticism', it changes and can be a very positive thing.

I know if it hadn't been for copious amounts of 'constructive criticism' I wouldn't be half as able as I am now with my photography! That makes me happy = it's a positive thing to be happy with your work. Instead of banging your head (or camera) against a brick wall when you can't get it right because you don't know how.

Bubbs, enjoy Skomer and enjoy your camera. When you get back there are hundreds of people here, most willing to help you get that bit further. I like making people happy so I am definitely in :D

I gotta say this... after apologising to nearly 16 thousand TP members for not posting of late... your next one will have to be a bit special :)

One of the issues with making comments about photographs is that you often then get attacked for your comments. The attackers rarely make those comments constructive, just come out with some barmy comment like "you have made the photograph worse" without explaining why they think that.

Sorry I have to argue with you
I have seen some of your pictures (remember Brighton :naughty:)
They were pretty darn good

so get publishing girl!

(and enjoy Skomer :crying: )

Wow didn't expect so many replies, thanks for all your replies :)

Sorry KIPAX i did mean more critique and Constructive Criticism not meant in a negative way.
I do want to give positive feedback just sometimes struggle with all the technical words and sometimes feel a bit out of my depth.

I will def post photos from Skomer next week, I'm cutting down on curry so will have more time for other things :)

Reading back my first post I realise I typed critic and not critique! I think this may have caused a bit of confusion, sorry. See another reason I don't post often, I can't spell lol :LOL:

I will def post photos from Skomer next week,

from what I saw on TV this week, Bev, those Skomer puffins will let you lie with a foot or two from them, so EVEN YOU should get some crackers!!! ;) :D

I do sympathise with the OP. Whenever I post a picture, I always have at the back (more often the front!) of my mind 'this is rubbish' and then wait for the scathing comments. And, do you know what? People make comments which make me see other ways of doing that pic, or of improving the pp. And sometimes they even like it. :banana:

I'm doing the 52 challenge and this has made me get out there and do stuff I wouldn't normally think of, and having to post every week has helped enormously.

So my opinion/advice is post your pictures and remember that unhelpful/negative criticism is a reflection of the critic, not the togger. :rules:

Good luck

Jean

Bubbs - I know what you mean - I'm in no way as good as the majority of the togs on this forum, but take photos for the simple fact that I love it! I joined this forum (and have become slightly and concerningly addicted to it) to feed off the knowledge of others and have been so amazed at some of the photos that it's spurred me into wanting to know more about how shots were achieved.

I do not have the level of technical understanding yet to know sometimes why I like a shot, or what I'd do to improve a particular shot, but I do think that we all like a bit of a confidence boost, so think it's ok to just tell a poster - "hey, that's pretty darn good" !

Hope you have an AMAZING time at Skomer - I'm pretty jealous, even though I'm sure all I'd get are lots of pics of bird's bottoms dissapearing off-camera in a blurry fashion! I look forward to seeing your pics next week (which I'm sure will be great!).

I don't think it is all about getting "THAT" great shot that everyone will drool over. It's about the event for me, it gets me out of the house first and formost, then it gives me a reason to chat to people while i'm out, best one I have had so far is sitting on a bench with my camera round my neck and someone comes up and says "are you a photographer?"

I now meet new interesting people and through TP I have a couple of dates to go "togging" with experts so will be bending their ears all day for information. Photography is in my thoughts all the time now, as I drive I look at things I want to photograph and think about what interesting angle etc. I'm hardly on the computer during the day (used to be 14-16 hours at one point EVERY day)

I believe there is a forum for posting photos to just show them off with no C&C wanted or required, maybe post in there for a while. As for me I just dive in and have never had a bad word said to me about not knowing anything about photography etc. I know it dosen't help but I do often do the "nice photo" post. Just showing my appreciation for some excellent work.

I would bet there are any number of poeple on here that would happily help you with some pp stuff and tell you what they did and why. You may be where I am at the moment and can only improve. Good photographs are after all just a bunus for me, well will be in good time. Don't beat yourself up you can after all just come on here and chat with your friends you don't have to post photo's all the time.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing your photos on your return. Also wise words from Grendel you really should take notice of him.

I joined this forum (and have become slightly and concerningly addicted to it) to feed off the knowledge of others and have been so amazed at some of the photos that it's spurred me into wanting to know more about how shots were achieved.

I do not have the level of technical understanding yet to know sometimes why I like a shot, or what I'd do to improve a particular shot, but I do think that we all like a bit of a confidence boost, so think it's ok to just tell a poster - "hey, that's pretty darn good" !

:clap::clap::clap: that's exactly how I feel - anyone looking at my previous posts must think I just drool over fantastic photos without giving a good reason. That's because I'm a complete novice & still learning (and some of the things posted on here have been very inspiring and giving me ideas) plus I don't know why something looks good but I think the poster should know someone out there likes it.

Sorry KIPAX i did mean more critique and Constructive Criticism

Forget all about critique if you dont feel comfortable.. Your basically saying you havent posted because you dont feel you can critique.. well eeerm my point is thats only a part of TP .. there are many other areas you can join in and chat that doesnt involve critique..

Also i think we all suffered the same problem at some time.. I critique all I want now.. not because I feel I am better but because I have an opinion thats all :)

Thanks for all your comments and advice all packed now and ready to start heading off will post photos on my return :)

I may not be an expert photographer but I'm an expert in knowing what looks good to me. My comments are always based on my own view as to what works for me in the same way that I may not be able to paint a picture but I can certainly comment on why I do, or do not, like one.

it takes all sorts to make a forum, some people dont know know much about photography and come here to ask for help, some people think they know all and really dont have a clue, some people do actually know alot about photography and are really nice and helpful, some are not and have to be sarky, some people dont like your photos, some love them.

Loads of different views = a forum

so at the end of the day just get involved, dont worry about asking too many questions and enjoy!

nuff said lol.

Back