An early edit of a bride and groom shot

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Would be great to get some critique on the following image... mainly although I like the arched window at the top I feel the outside area is a little naff and pointless... I'm loathe to crop it though as then I'd lose the nice arched part and also the feeling of size with the couple smallish in comparison to it.

What do you think? Should I crop, or maybe reduce the exposure outside to get rid of the distracting elements?

Any other feedback is also very welcome (y)

8721671772_6ff42e1cc3_z.jpg

Would be great to get some critique on the following image... mainly although I like the arched window at the top I feel the outside area is a little naff and pointless... I'm loathe to crop it though as then I'd lose the nice arched part and also the feeling of size with the couple smallish in comparison to it.

What do you think? Should I crop, or maybe reduce the exposure outside to get rid of the distracting elements?

Any other feedback is also very welcome (y)

8721671772_6ff42e1cc3_z.jpg

Andy - I like it.

I think the composition is a little off. I'd like them less central and more space under their feet (although I suspect you were hanging of a stairway as it is :))

How about making it a bit more dramatic? VERY quick and NASTY edit (using crappy screen) ->

quick2.jpg

Let me know if you want me to remove this.

Dav

Andy - I like it.

I think the composition is a little off. I'd like them less central and more space under their feet (although I suspect you were hanging of a stairway as it is :))

How about making it a bit more dramatic? VERY quick and NASTY edit (using crappy screen) ->

Let me know if you want me to remove this.

Dav

Hi Dav,

Thanks for the comments... no probs with you posting your edit so feel free to leave it there :)

I think you've gone with what I'm thinking of making everything darker and keeping the window... I'm loathe to crop it as the window is part of the shot and I think your edit looks good.

I was hanging over the edge of a mezzanine level... it was a really cool room and I managed to get some really interesting and creative shots of the bride getting ready in there too, but it was a a little resrictive in terms of composition for shots like this.

No worries mate.

You could cut the arch part of window and move it down, allowing you to play more on a thirds basis.

Cheers.

Dav

No worries mate.

You could cut the arch part of window and move it down, allowing you to play more on a thirds basis.

Cheers.

Dav

That was the other option I was considering and I have another shot with this composition... problem is I like the way the couple are smallish in comparison to the window as it shows how big the window is. Kind of quite grand in the scale of the image if that makes sense?

I personally think its a great shot; really diverse and different (if they aren't the same thing? lol)

If it was me, i'd certainly warm the colours slightly; it feels a little "cold" for my liking...absoloutely loving it otherwise though!

Two things for me:
1) If you keep the blackout as above, I'd frame tight to the far curtains for a squarer framing.

2) I personally think the couple look lost in the frame. I get what you're saying you want to achieve, but it isn't there with this shot.
If anything, it looks like you have miniaturised them, as would be the case with a TS lens.
Even in darkness, it lacks impact and oomph.
Sorry!

I think it's a superb image that with a very little trick in PS would give you the best of both worlds..

Add a levels adjustment layer, and take the black 255 to 160-170... Then take your brush and in the centre of the image paint a small white dot on the layer using a black soft brush. Click on edit>free transform and use resize using the alt&shift keys.. You can create a vignette that can be angled to highlight the couple without losing any detail of the beautiful window frame.

Regardless, I'm sure they will love this image.

All the best.

I very much like it as one of those un-traditional shots.

I do prefer it with a darker top half though as it helps the couple be the focal point & would prefer it a little warmer too :)

I agree that the second version is the better one. With the first version, my eye was initially drawn to the road outside and you've resolved that. I personally like the shot. The window is clearly a nice feature of the venue and I think you've given some thought to how you can use that. It's probably one of those marmite shots where the technicalities can be debated at length but I suspect the couple themselves will like it.

I agree that the second version is the better one. With the first version, my eye was initially drawn to the road outside and you've resolved that. I personally like the shot. The window is clearly a nice feature of the venue and I think you've given some thought to how you can use that. It's probably one of those marmite shots where the technicalities can be debated at length but I suspect the couple themselves will like it.

Thanks... yeah I can imagine some people won't be too keen as it's a different kind of shot from a angle to most, but lots of good suggestions from people so thanks everyone! (y)

Personally prefer the originial image.(y) Nice image..

Back