Critique An evening walk with my new camera.

Name
Richard Walton
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst out for our evening walk, I took the chance of trying out my new D850. As it was early evening, the light wasn't the greatest and there was a lot of trial and error with the settings but I managed to get some photos I was reasonably happy with.
I set up the camera with my 200-500 f/5.6 lens and all the shots were completely hand held.

ISO 6,400 450mm 1/500th sec @ f/5.6
BirdsSM-32.jpg

ISO 5,600 500mm 1/500th sec @ f/5.6
BirdsSM-29.jpg

ISO 1,600 360mm 1/400th sec @ f/5.6
BirdsSM-17.jpg

ISO 1,400 500mm 1/500th sec @ f/5.6
BirdsSM-10.jpg

Please feel free to critique as they are among the first 50 or so shots with my new toy.
Thanks for looking.

I’m watching a zombie tv series right now and genuinely thought #1 is a headless bird for a second!

#4 I would have personally shot at f/8 or f/11. Since there is nothing but the bird there is no need to isolate it in my opinion on the contrary you have more to gain by showing the field.

#2 is spot on, my favourite one. Shame you had to shoot at high ISO.

I’m watching a zombie tv series right now and genuinely thought #1 is a headless bird for a second!

#4 I would have personally shot at f/8 or f/11. Since there is nothing but the bird there is no need to isolate it in my opinion on the contrary you have more to gain by showing the field.

#2 is spot on, my favourite one. Shame you had to shoot at high ISO.

May be it's my inexperience, but I was shooting in Aperture Priority mode and leaving the rest to the camera. These little critters didn't like hanging around for me to work in Manual mode. My idea was keep the aperture open as far as this lens would allow, to keep the shutter speed as high as possible in order to handle free holding the long lens and not pushing the ISO through the roof. I did notice that I hadn't switched on the High ISO noise reduction facility in the camera too.

I've still a lot to learn, obviously, and I thank you for your comments. :)

Hi Richard, I see these images are shot at High ISO ( Hence the noise in the images) - I'm guessing this was to keep the shutter speed up, although sometimes I myself shoot as low as 1/320th sec with my 200-600mm lens and get use able results :)

With that in mind, why not try a lower shutter speed and smaller aperture say f8 ?? Its all about practice and being familiar with your gear and for me ALWAYS Manual ALWAYS

Good luck with it

Les :)

Reactions: mex
Hi Richard, I see these images are shot at High ISO ( Hence the noise in the images) - I'm guessing this was to keep the shutter speed up, although sometimes I myself shoot as low as 1/320th sec with my 200-600mm lens and get use able results :)

With that in mind, why not try a lower shutter speed and smaller aperture say f8 ?? Its all about practice and being familiar with your gear and for me ALWAYS Manual ALWAYS

Good luck with it

Les,

Firstly, how's the leg now? I'm sure that not only was it painful, but I bet it was quite a shock too. Bit like stepping off the last stair that, actually, isn't there. Not fun!

Thanks for the advice.

Like you, I prefer to shoot fully manual. However, having just upgraded from my D800, the buttons are just ever so slightly different and by the time I'd got it set, the "little chaps" had cleared off! It's just a case of practice and getting familiar with it.

Les,

Firstly, how's the leg now? I'm sure that not only was it painful, but I bet it was quite a shock too. Bit like stepping off the last stair that, actually, isn't there. Not fun!

Thanks for the advice.

Like you, I prefer to shoot fully manual. However, having just upgraded from my D800, the buttons are just ever so slightly different and by the time I'd got it set, the "little chaps" had cleared off! It's just a case of practice and getting familiar with it.

The ankle is black and blue - It will take some time to get right I'm guessing- thank you for asking :)

I usually set my gear up prior to getting out of my truck - weather depending I set for f8 1/2000th sec and auto ISO my camera's are great at handling high ISO

May be it's my inexperience, but I was shooting in Aperture Priority mode and leaving the rest to the camera. These little critters didn't like hanging around for me to work in Manual mode. My idea was keep the aperture open as far as this lens would allow, to keep the shutter speed as high as possible in order to handle free holding the long lens and not pushing the ISO through the roof. I did notice that I hadn't switched on the High ISO noise reduction facility in the camera too.

I've still a lot to learn, obviously, and I thank you for your comments. :)

Fair play, you have chosen one hell of a camera to learn on. Agree with @Lez325 - use manual, it may take a short while to get used to but the results will be far more rewarding, try setting up your camera prior to getting the shots you want so the only thing left for you to be concerned with is focus. There are loads of videos worth watching on YouTube to point you in the right direction, it might also be worth getting involved in local camera clubs. Check out your local nature reserves, some have public hides that will help you to produce great results, failing that set up a feed station in the garden, they work.

I wouldn't be too concerned with higher iso, especially on a D850, it's designed to handle it better than most, if noise is a concern try downloading Topaz AI on a trial, you might be surprised with the results it gives.

I recently changed from a D810 to a D850 and the extra resolution of the 850 certainly shows any weakness in your technique. I had to up my shutter speed a little and be sure to use IS for the first couple of weeks.

I'll always shoot in manual if I can anyway (having been doing so for almost fifty years), but now exclusively so with the 850. I use auto ISO and have so far not noticed any problems due to high noise - the camera is amazing.

It won't take you long to get used to it; just work on your breathing, trigger and support - especially with the longer lenses.

I like the Robin in number two as well. :)

Fair play, you have chosen one hell of a camera to learn on. Agree with @Lez325 - use manual, it may take a short while to get used to but the results will be far more rewarding, try setting up your camera prior to getting the shots you want so the only thing left for you to be concerned with is focus. There are loads of videos worth watching on YouTube to point you in the right direction, it might also be worth getting involved in local camera clubs. Check out your local nature reserves, some have public hides that will help you to produce great results, failing that set up a feed station in the garden, they work.

I wouldn't be too concerned with higher iso, especially on a D850, it's designed to handle it better than most, if noise is a concern try downloading Topaz AI on a trial, you might be surprised with the results it gives.

Thanks for the advice; it's very much appreciated. :)

I recently changed from a D810 to a D850 and the extra resolution of the 850 certainly shows any weakness in your technique. I had to up my shutter speed a little and be sure to use IS for the first couple of weeks.

I'll always shoot in manual if I can anyway (having been doing so for almost fifty years), but now exclusively so with the 850. I use auto ISO and have so far not noticed any problems due to high noise - the camera is amazing.

It won't take you long to get used to it; just work on your breathing, trigger and support - especially with the longer lenses.

I like the Robin in number two as well. :)

Thanks for the advice. I definitely do need to practice my breathing. When I concentrate, on anything, I forget to breathe and end up taking a large gasp of breathe afterwards. :rolleyes:

I like #2 Robin too. The Robins and the Great Tit were taken in my Mum's back garden. She has a pair of Robins that have had a couple of chicks and she's been putting Mealworms out for them. Now the chicks have fledged and they too, come down for the worms. They're really tame too. If she's stood by the feed station they'll come to within 2-3ft of her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
Make sure your image stabilisation in on fella

Hi Richard, well done on your new camera. Bird photography can be challenging.
Your robin images are pleasing... I would try and avoid having branches pointing 'at the viewer' though.
I also would not increase the aperture on your last image...instead, personally I would have cropped it to remove the out of focus bottom area.

Hi Richard, well done on your new camera. Bird photography can be challenging.
Your robin images are pleasing... I would try and avoid having branches pointing 'at the viewer' though.
I also would not increase the aperture on your last image...instead, personally I would have cropped it to remove the out of focus bottom area.
Thanks for those tips. Every day’s a school day.

Back