An hour at Heathrow

Name
Jez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Spent an hour or so at Heathrow yesterday evening - the light was lovely.

Stood on the side of the Southern Perimeter road between the petrol station and the fuel dump - the aircraft were taking off on 27L. Not an ideal location, but I got some OK shots I think...

There are a few more on my flickr.

C&C welcome!

Thanks for looking,

Jez.

1. BA 777 waiting to taxi south across 09R/27L
5787391665_c349ec99f6_b.jpg

2. SAS 737-700
5787395737_aa5fe4733d_b.jpg

3. BA 747-400 off into the sunset
5787419663_64d1fbd562_b.jpg

4. South African A330-200
5787425219_8b834b222a_b.jpg

5. And finally - SAS MD82 - a noisy little wotsit...
5787986994_f797d4e978_b.jpg

No: 3 here, beautiful

No 5 for me, i think the light underside just wins it compared to no 3. Great capture.

Many thanks for all the kind words!

@Jun - they were all taken with my 200-400 f/4, #5 was taken at 330mm, FF with my D3.

The light really was sweet - making it hard (but not impossible, as I proved several times!!) to take a really bad picture...

Thanks again!

BR Jez.

Number 3 for me also. Cracking set though, I'd be happy with every one of them!

Number 3 is great for me, There is something about number 1 that I really like though - can't put my finger on what it is though

They're all lovely, but #3 is the shot of the set for me.

Great shots, and again #3 is the one for me. Can't help thinking that had you caught the 4th engine it would have been perfect.

Number 4 does it for me, I prefer the combination of visible detail and the warm glow on the underside. Think pipc has it spot on about the engine, all lovely shots though!

I have to agree with the majority and vote nume 3 my fave, I have been to Heathrow on several occassions taking pics but I just wish they had a free place to park and take them from. I understand there needs to be security but if you had a designated area that was free it would be better to have everyone in one area rather than wandering around.

I really like 3 and 5. I like 5 because of the way the sun is lighting the undercarriage.

Thank you all!

@pipc - I was rather lucky to be able to get even the shot I did for #3 - it must have been extremely heavy because it was by far and away the slowest a/c to climb. If it had climbed at the same rate as all the others it would have been *way* above the sun... I do see what you mean about missing engine though, but to a large extent you sort of have to take what you can get when togging aircraft!! :)

AboveFunction said:
Number 3 is great for me, There is something about number 1 that I really like though - can't put my finger on what it is though

Another #3 here. And there is something about #1...it's a B777... what an aeroplane!

Thanks once again for all the kind words!

For those who don't know about it, this resource (it's nothing to do with me - I'm just a happy user!) is excellent for photography locations around LHR.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Jez.

Back