An idea whose time has gone?

StephenM

I know a Blithering Idiot
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited by a moderator:
My click through took me to a guitar. Which, ironically, was one of the things that got me into photography because I was rubbish at it :)

Me too:)

Bit early for April 1st innit?

And me too; which is not what it showed earlier. Before I got directly to the page. As I don't know how to post a link from the tablet I'm tapping, try this.

The link seems to give seach results for im back but says people also search for i'm back. Hit that and then the second item shown should be it.

1540488608000_IMG_1082847.jpg

It's a nice concept (and a similar approach to digital backs for medium format cameras), but look just how much bulk it adds to a camera! The F2 is already a heavy camera without all that extra bulk, but imagine a lighter 35mm camera.

View attachment 240341

It's a nice concept (and a similar approach to digital backs for medium format cameras), but look just how much bulk it adds to a camera! The F2 is already a heavy camera without all that extra bulk, but imagine a lighter 35mm camera.
More like sticking some greaseproof paper on the film rails and taking a photo of it with your phone.

I like the idea of this and have always said my ideal camera would be a film camera with a replacement digital film canister that would fit inside (I know this is not going to happen !) this would cut the cost of using film whilst still allowing me to use the cameras I like. Everytime I pick up a DSLR in my price range in the shops I'm put off by how light and plastic (they remind me of a Holga) they are plus I don't want all the options/features they have (nasty menu driven cameras) unfortunately I wouldn't wish to make my cameras any bigger so this option would be out.

I like the idea of this and have always said my ideal camera would be a film camera with a replacement digital film canister that would fit inside (I know this is not going to happen !)

There was something like that mooted some years back but nothing ever came of it. As electronics and batteries get smaller, it's possible (if unlikely!) that it could happen.

There was a lot of online speculation about digital converters/adapters for 35mm cameras years ago. It didn't go anywhere, and I can't remember anything like this reaching the market. I could be wrong though, and I'd be interested in what others think?

IIRC, many of the people who supported the idea wanted a digital 'conversion' for their classic, manual, mechanical cameras (Nikon F2, Canon F1, Leica M2, M3 etc) rather than the highly sophisticated SLRs of the early 2000s.

Thom Hogan believed that Nikon took their FM3D, a digital FM3A, to the protoype and test phases. This would have been very similar to a classic SLR with a digital adapter, but it was never offered commercially. Pity, I'd have been happy to buy one if I could afford it..!

To be honest, apart from the lettering (and microphone) it looks just like a Nikon with motor drive attached.

I'd much rather shoot film in an old 35mm film camera; if I want to shoot digital I'll use my DSLR, a compact camera or my smartphone, so for that reason I won't be investing.

What a waste of time and investment.
It might have been a fun project for someone, but it will go bust in no time flat, there is no future in it.
The best use for film cameras is for Film photography.

The actual unit looks monstrous.

15:18 " making our film cameras relevant" !!!

What a T*T !!

Kinda strange how there isn't the same "enthusiasm" to produce a modifcation so one can use 35mm roll film in a D4 !!!

These ( stupid imo) ideas come from the mindset of folk who find film photography "quaint" but can't live without the instant gratifcation and practicality of digital.

I live in the country, in a village which is very popular with tourists.
Many of which find the place and the way of life quaint, tranquille, relaxing, easy going etc etc and see it as idillic until the lack of practicalities that they're used to back home in the big cities poses them a problem personally, then it's like " It's necessary that this that and the other is put in place, one can't live "normally" without".

They want the so called idillic country life ( which is often far from idillic, it can at times be darned right hard!) but with all the bells and whistles of the great metropolis available for as, if and when they require it just like the plonkers who want to have an F2 that can offer an instant visual result on the back of the camera immediatly after pressing the shutter button.

I live in the country, in a village which is very popular with tourists.
Many of which find the place and the way of life quaint, tranquille, relaxing, easy going etc etc and see it as idillic until the lack of practicalities that they're used to back home in the big cities poses them a problem personally, then it's like " It's necessary that this that and the other is put in place, one can't live "normally" without".

They want the so called idillic country life ( which is often far from idillic, it can at times be darned right hard!) but with all the bells and whistles of the great metropolis available for as, if and when they require it just like the plonkers who want to have an F2 that can offer an instant visual result on the back of the camera immediatly after pressing the shutter button.
I used to be a county councillor some years ago and got a very angry complaint from a chap who had retired from London to a rural cottage - no neighbours, just fields. The farmer had the audacity to harvest his wheat crop creating a lot of dust (and the wheat harvest does, indeed, create a LOT of dust!) and then added insult to injury by insisting on ploughing his field with a lot of noise. My response did nothing to calm the chap down.

and then added insult to injury by insisting on ploughing his field with a lot of noise.
It's very rare here in Devon to find even the rawest incomer who's surprised when one of these charges across the fields these days...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310678.jpg

Where I grew up, there were three farms; it wasn't a problem to us when the main road was closed for a short time daily so that the cows could cross to be milked. The only adverse memory I have is of the olefactory assault that occurred one summer when the muck spreading used a particularly pungent muck.

I suspect that problems of adaptation occur both ways but possibly country folk are hardier and more tolerant.

Last edited:
I suspect that problems of adaptation occur both ways but possibly country folk are hardier and more tolerant.

or, more likely, that when we to "up to town" we're EXPECTING it to be crap and horrible, so don't complain when it is...

It is weird that something like this is what people were asking for many years ago, yet when someone actually does it, there is a lot of negativity. :rolleyes: :LOL:
It would appear that those people were not the ones who have responded on here unless of course they're hiding their true opinion.

I for one never did, and never would ask for a classic device such as an F2 to be turned into somesort of hybrid.

It is weird that something like this is what people were asking for many years ago, yet when someone actually does it, there is a lot of negativity. :rolleyes: :LOL:

When we were all sitting on better film camera kits than Digital ones, ( which were as you probably remember were extremely basic)
A digital convert seemed a possible and interesting prospect.
However today Digital cameras and lenses have advanced far beyond where we ever thought any sort of camera could go.

To make a one off, for the interest of doing so, would be fun.
As a business model it stinks.

The only reason I could see for me to buy one is that I dislike cameras that are bigger and heavier than they need to be, and cameras like the NIkon D800/810/850 are massively oversized IMO. I'd want a small and light digital camera, that could take all the small and light lenses that I have for my OM system. Come to think of it, Sony produced one...

As Terry said, a few years ago it would have been brilliant, and I might have bought; although perhaps at less than the 16 megapixels it has in today's world it would have been too basic. Now, to me it's interesting but no more than that.

Back