An ideal world . . . ?

CJS

Edit My Images
Yes
Advise please, I have been using 'Elements v7' to do minor tweaks to my photos. Not into major surgery type changes, I like things 'O-natural'.

Recently acquired a copy of CS4+bridge. The idea was to start using RAW? I'm told if I shoot RAW/JPG, I can save them both in Bridge, archive the RAW and use the JPG for general work and slowly easy myself into RAW work space as I learn?

Thats the problem 'learning', I have a short attention span, being mildly dyslexic with its associated problems on the reading front. One has no ambition to be up front or public with my pictures. I'm even looking and thinking 'do I need the complication of CS4/RAW'. Much of PS'ing is a mystery to me, layers and the like???

I need a simple way in, 'hand holding', looking at various books on Amazon, they seem to try to go to deeply into the program, which I understand thats what you pay your money for, but is there a 'simple, basic guide' that then allows a launch into the heavier options when one is ready . . . and willing?

I can visualise a book that suggests reading for the novice; chapters ***, followed by chapters *** for intermediate. Chapters *** are for shortcuts and advanced techniques.

CJS

So what exactly are you asking.. you want help with RAW, or with CS4?

I'm also dyslexic, but I hate using it as a term that then makes me feel incapable of doing things. If you ignore the fact that you have it, you'll find it much easier to learn things as you don't have it in the back of your mind telling you 'there's no point in trying'.

Because of my dyslexia, I have to read the exact same statement around 5 times and sometimes more, before the information infront of me actually registers in my brain. This was a bit of a set-back during college, but I got around it by reading what was vital (ie, project briefs and feedback), and the rest I just learnt by doing.

In my eyes, dyslexia is an advantage, because generally dyslexics are more creative and right-brained (I cannot for the life of me get that dancer to turn anti-clockwise!). Therefore, if you're not a keen reader, it'd probably be better just messing around with the software to see what you like and what you don't like. Forums are there for a reason, and any help you need, just ask. It beats reading an entire book just to find you only needed to know around 1/4 of the info in there!

There's thousands of tutorials on the internet these days for specific techniques, so when you know the look you're after, just google it and do it that way.. I've done pretty well on my own :D

Why would you spend upwards of £200 (at best) on a piece of software that you probably don't need and certainly don't know how to use? It sounds like E7 does everything you need it to already.

If you can afford to buy a legitimate retail copy, you can surely afford some hands-on training, be that a part-time college course or something a little more in-depth?

Advise please, I have been using 'Elements v7' to do minor tweaks to my photos. Not into major surgery type changes, I like things 'O-natural'.

Recently acquired a copy of CS4+bridge. The idea was to start using RAW?
CJS

So whats stopping you using raw in Elements 7 ?

It handles it quite well and is easier to get a handle on than CS4.

Off course if you have actually paid £560 for CS4 you may feel you have a obligation to use it now. :)

Because of my dyslexia, I have to read the exact same statement around 5 times and sometimes more, before the information infront of me actually registers in my brain. This was a bit of a set-back during college

Are they aware? They should make allowances, e.g. different marking scheme, extra time in exams ect.

Agree, E7 more than adequate.

Are they aware? They should make allowances, e.g. different marking scheme, extra time in exams ect.

Yes they are fully aware, but the only thing I was offered was 25% extra exam time, and well.. I never had any exams so it all seemed a bit pointless for me really :shrug:

I still came out with excellent marks though, but a bit more help on the colleges part wouldn't have gone a miss..

Back