An iridescent Drain fly (or moth fly)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Tried to take one of these a couple of months back which was ok, but today I was able to control the light a little better and the processing a little better too.

This time you can see the iridescent sheen on the wings of the drain fly, which is, as you'll already know, is just about 2mm long.

They are small delicate flies with dense hairs covering the body and the pointed wings, with characteristic venation. The adults are small flies with biting mouthparts. Only the females feed. Drain-flies evolved to live around stagnant water rich in decomposing organic material. This includes wet soil, swamps, marshland and other areas with standing water. Drains obviously provide a great environment for them, being damp and full of organic waste! So do compost heaps and compost bins, which is where mine live!

I just wish I had a MPE-65 to show you the real detail in these!

I even gave this one a nice fluffy frame to match it's nice fluffy wings!

C&C as always allowed.

Exif:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 450D
Image Date: 2010:01:19 16:14:50
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 105.0mm
CCD Width: 4.18mm
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
Aperture: f/9.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
Photographer: Copyright A View of the UK - Paul Iddon Photography

Paul.

Wow, great macro.

I always thought it was me getting the light wrong when I got iridescence on the wings of a fly.

i like this loads

fantastic capture

great shot, at 2mm think that I would struggle to see it let alone take a decent picture.

great shot, at 2mm think that I would struggle to see it let alone take a decent picture.

They are pretty obvious when they tale off en-mass - they look like a little cloud of smoke!

Paul.

Back