An Unsatisfied Non-Customer

Name
Lee Parker
Edit My Images
Yes
Received this delightful email today......he's not happy a freelance photographer won't give his photos away?
No mention was ever made of me providing photos either in email or conversation at the ground. And I told him that I was freelance from the off.
When they asked for freebies I pointed out that digital downloads are £2, £4 for 1mb or £8 for full size.
He obviously didn't like this, lol.

I even bought a bloody programme!!!!!

Should I reply to him or just ignore him? My thoughts are to reply and point out that no mention was made of freebies and that I credited the club by posting directly to their twitter feed.

"I was extremely disappointed to learn that you would not allow our program editor the use of images from our recent match at @@@@ on @@@ March.

Without exception, photographers have been only too pleased to contribute to our program at no cost and we have only been too pleased to give credits.

That is all"

I've posted this elsewhere so apologies if you've seen it on the non-league togs page.

ha ha! what a kn.b! I can understand his wanting a freebie for their sport and perhaps if he asked nicely it wouldn't be a problem...

However, with that sort of attitude I'd be inclined to ignore him! (actually, the devil in me wants to reply with a rather sharp and direct response and a few words about his manners ;) )

Need more info on this as it reads that you have been given permission to take images at a match and sell them but are unwilling to return the favour by giving them a few images for their programme?

Or am I missing something?

Jim,
I emailed them and asked permission. At no point was anything said about providing any photos as part of any arrangement about being let in.
If he'd said that then that would've been different.
I'm really in two minds about this, as they're local to me and have aspirations and budget to go higher, and so I'll possibly end up wanting to go back here in the future.
Plus I'm trying to build a reputation, and don't want to sully that.

Did you pay for entry, or get special access anywhere? I'd have said that at no point were you not happy for them to use your pictures, however as they must understand as a business you expect reasonable recompense for your work.

Gary, that's part of the reason I took this stance in the first place.

James, I didn't pay for entry. As for access I went pitch side as I'm insured, but nowhere else.
I did point out that a download wasn't exactly expensive for programme use.

Tricky one as if you're not licensed they obviously don't have to let you in. Though they shouldn't have presumed that by giving you entry they would get access to pics.

I used to agree in advance that I would send the club one low res image for use in their match report or on facebook with the condition that they linked to my gallery where images were for sale. If I were you I'd suggest something similar to maintain a good relationship and get this person back on side.

Jim,
I emailed them and asked permission. At no point was anything said about providing any photos as part of any arrangement about being let in.
If he'd said that then that would've been different.
I'm really in two minds about this, as they're local to me and have aspirations and budget to go higher, and so I'll possibly end up wanting to go back here in the future.
Plus I'm trying to build a reputation, and don't want to sully that.

the last line speaks volume for me "i'm trying to build a reputation" I would keep this in mind to be honest .... I can appreciate your argument but lets be fair if you want to keep local etc is it really worth the hassle?

Tricky one as if you're not licensed they obviously don't have to let you in. Though they shouldn't have presumed that by giving you entry they would get access to pics.

I used to agree in advance that I would send the club one low res image for use in their match report or on facebook with the condition that they linked to my gallery where images were for sale. If I were you I'd suggest something similar to maintain a good relationship and get this person back on side.

great solution to be honest ;-)

If it's non league I tend to let them have a pic for free with strict instruction of no web use and program only.. if pro then charge... I would deffo let them have a pic if non league and local to me..

If it were me, i'd supply all of the images they require, and next time make it clear that fees will be charged, keep in with the club on good terms, and try to build up a relationship for the future.

Cheers for the replies.
Although I'm surprised that they didn't just use them with the watermark on......like loads of their players are....:rolleyes:

I emailed them and offered to let them have a couple of photos for the programme, on the strict instruction they weren't to go to any press sources. They seem happy with that and it seems to have cleared the air.

Thanks for the words of wisdom/advice.

From What I remember most if not all the agencies give clubs images foc just as an act of good will and probably to ensure they get a pass for future games.

From What I remember most if not all the agencies give clubs images foc just as an act of good will and probably to ensure they get a pass for future games.

Not my experience of what happens - main agency up here has contracts (paid) with a good few clubs

Surely agencies get a pass to games anyway and dont need to bribe ? :)

Surely agencies get a pass to games anyway and dont need to bribe ? :)

No they dont and generally clubs have their own photographer which usually covers all their needs but in odd occasions an agency may have something they want and as a gesture they dont charge. Obviously the reasoning behind this is they will always look favourable when applying for passes or if for any reason the club hasnt received an application (does happen) they will still be allowed in. Some clubs such as Liverpool. Man Utd, Leeds etc are notoriously difficult to get passes for and usually favour the larger agencies. Not sure if this has changed over the past few years but if you havnt a pass for any of these clubs then dont bother turning up in hope as you wont get in.

Not my experience of what happens - main agency up here has contracts (paid) with a good few clubs

Obviously only referring to smaller agencies with no contracts. Two of the three I worked for both offered the odd free image if asked. Action Images have/had such club contracts to name just one.

I'd simply reply with this

WTD1368_photo-credit.gif

Obviously only referring to smaller agencies with no contracts. Two of the three I worked for both offered the odd free image if asked. Action Images have/had such club contracts to name just one.

Ah 'smaller agencies' - the ones who don't pay you (unless you get a pic used) and you shoot under their licence so they retain copyright of your pics

Don't under estimate the relationship with local clubs. I have a really good relationship with my local club who have given me life long membership so I'll never have to pay to get in watching or shooting, I get a couple of free beers after the game, free invites to their events (hog roasts etc), picked up a number of jobs as a result, including some work with a GB Wakeboarder and they've also got me some work with the local paper. I provide them with a couple of high res images for their programme and a few watermarked images for an online gallery - I made it very clear from the outset that under no circumstances should any images be passed on to the press. Clearly some players are using watermarked images but I've also sold a number to players as well.

Back