Analyzing Metadata To Prove If A Photograph Is Modified

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I'm looking to speak with someone who has an expert knowledge of metadata that sits behind photographs and understands how to alter it using programming code or software.

I have recently been doing some detaield analysis to understand how the metadata changes when a photo is intentionally modified in a program such as Paintshop Pro, Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom. The changes are quite dramatic - certain sets of tags vanish, other sets appear, numerous values change and many of the tags while still present change position in the output list for an unknown reason. I am currently working on a project to establish whether it's truly possible to manipulate an image and then "cover your tracks" by setting the metadata exactly back to how it looked on the original image (including positioning). I'd like to find out whether this is possible - I've been informed that it is but I'd like to see this done and understand more about how difficult it is to achieve this.

My programming knowledge is relatively low at present, I've got a background in VBA programming but have no knowledge at all regarding how to alter metadata using code. So I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum with a deeper level of knowledge would like to take up a challenge - if I send two jpg images to you, one original, one purposely modified, can you alter the metadata of the modified file to look identical to that of the original (including ordering) or not? I'd then like to have a discussion with you, either via E-Mail/phone/Skype to go over how you succeeded/failed.

So....anyone up for the challenge? Please let me know, and how best to contact you. Thanks.

Back