Ancient monument

Name
Steve (Being Kind)
Edit My Images
Yes
Processed using the TopazAdjust4 plugin in CS5 to show off the incredible stonework in this ancient monument, still in use today and just down the road from us. Built in the 14th century and grade 1 listed, apparently only three left.

Chantry chapel. by SFB579 :), on Flickr

It is a very good plugin with a wide selection of presets.

Curiously, looking at your photo, the first thing I thought of was the church of Santa Maria della Spina in Pisa, which was originally known as Santa Maria di Pontenovo ('new bridge') when it was built in the 13th century. :thinking:

I have kept returning to this image since it was posted. In general this sort of processing is not my thing at all, mainly because I am an 'emulsion head'. But I must say it has grown on me!

I have been pondering on why?

I think it is the 'other worldly' nature of the image and the processing accentuating the detail in the stonework. This all adds to the glow the whole thing emanates. I am not sure this approach will be for everybody but this image against my instincts works for me!

I'm not wholly convinced on the processing. Was the plugin really required to bring out the detail? Perhaps it was needed because the light was in the wrong place. Can we see the original to compare the difference.?

Can we see the original to compare the difference.?

Well you did ask.:) Dull as a bank holiday weekend. RAW file converted to jpeg no processing and resized.

26Sep2011-2377.jpg

Just shows how much data is still there to be pulled out!

I can now see what effect the plugin had. It has brought out all the detail. Well done on the processing. Unfortunately it is not to my taste.

Back