And in the Red Corner ...

Edit My Images
No
OK ! I love this because it reminds me of my most favourite place of all !:smilenod:

Hope you like ... but I would dearly love critical feedback please ?:nut:

DSC_043802152005_11_16.jpg

Just a corner of a house we stayed in last November - in the evening sun.

superb detail and colours here, looks like a gorgeous sunny place! Thought it was a slice of chocolate cake at first glance! How does need a critique? Hmm....the white on the orange bit looks a bit overblown to me but doesn't detract from the image IMO. I love the way you have filled the frame and the interesting lines but probably wouldn't want this in my photo album ;)

Nice light, colours and texture -I can understand why you like it. The white is perfectly exposed on the shadow side of the corner but blown on the sunny side, although there's so little of it it's hardly relevant at all.

A suitable frame would make all the difference to this shot, I'd have a play if I were you. :)

CT said:
A suitable frame would make all the difference to this shot, I'd have a play if I were you. :)

Thanks for your comments - I'd love to CT, if only I could (read as - knew how !). :confused-

My copy of Elements has yet to turn up ... :hissyfit:

It's easy anyway whatever you're using. Use the Increase paper/canvas size function setting the background colour to the colour you want. You'll soon get the hang of the possibilities. ;)

Thanks CT but I don't think so - I am only using Picture Project (Nikon !) at the mo !

Download a trial of CS/Elements or PSP...they are all available legally as a time limited (a month from memory) trial.

You can have a play then :)

Wot Steve said... they're only a click away. ;)

Steve said:
Download a trial of CS/Elements or PSP...they are all available legally as a time limited (a month from memory) trial.

You can have a play then :)

Thankx Steve - had missed your message in my haste to answer CT ! I will give this a go then ...:thumb:

Hey! I like that. Good abstract piece. Nice.

i like it too, agree about the frame, a lot of peoples images could be improved dramatically just by adding a simple frame to pull it out of the forums a bit

Matty said:
i like it too, agree about the frame, a lot of peoples images could be improved dramatically just by adding a simple frame to pull it out of the forums a bit

Thanks Matty !

Don't I know it about the framing thingy ... Steve's idea with Elements download didn't cut it ... corrupted somehow on the unzipping ! On the third go but should have pukka copy soon anyhow. Guess what the first job is then ... :smilenod:

Matty said:

DSC_043802152005_11_16_edited_1.jpg

Still learning and not sure about the colour but it "pulls it out of the forum a bit" don't you agree Matty ? ! :getmecoat

ok Rog...take it easy there buddy, you need to do SUBTLE frames!!!!

Matty said:
ok Rog...take it easy there buddy, you need to do SUBTLE frames!!!!

Awww Matty as if I know subtle ? And ... you surprise me ... no need to shout though !:laugh1:

Gauntlet - How's about you try placing a subtle frame around this un-subtle pic ? Elements cannot cope with subtle in standard form (as far as my five minutes with it goes !). :smilenod:

Gauntlet - How's about you try placing a subtle frame around this un-subtle pic ? Elements cannot cope with subtle in standard form (as far as my five minutes with it goes !)
I'd probably do something like

abstract.jpg

Gemok said:
I'd probably do something like

Agreed it is a little more subtle - in CS rather than elements ?:smilenod:

Not sure about the colour though ... personally speaking. :ponders:

what colours? :whistle2:

Yeah I did it in CS2 but I'm pretty sure I could do the same effect in almost any image editing software

EDIT: I've replaced my effort with one I did in infranview a free image viewer

Gemok said:
what colours? :whistle2:

Yeah I did it in CS2 but I'm pretty sure I could do the same effect in almost any image editing software

EDIT: I've replaced my effort with one I did in infranview a free image viewer

Prefer the replacement Gemok - personal prefs 'n all. :smilenod:

Clearly borders is a challenge I have to master fairly soon then !: Ponders:

you can do it elements, i have elements on my machine at work, i will do a quick tutorial on it monday

Matty said:
you can do it elements, i have elements on my machine at work, i will do a quick tutorial on it monday

Really appreciate that Matty - look forward to it ! Every bit of help I can get at the moment is great ... not one for reading books on things though !:ponders:

briefly, in elements, to make a border either enlarge the canvas or use Stroke

Enlarge canvas by going to Image>Resize>Canvas, select it and pick your options from there

Stroke, Select the rectangle marque tool, right click your image and select stroke from the menu, do as desired.

Dont forget you can always undo by going to Edit>undo

i will go to more detail later!

Matty said:

Enlarge canvas by going to Image>Resize>Canvas, select it and pick your options from there

Stroke, Select the rectangle marque tool, right click your image and select stroke from the menu, do as desired.

Dont forget you can always undo by going to Edit>undo

i will go to more detail later!

Great Matty, thanx ! :thumb: I will give this a shot later and see what gives. :ponders: I appreciate your taking the time out. :ty:

Venomator said:
Great Matty, thanx ! :thumb: I will give this a shot later and see what gives. :ponders: I appreciate your taking the time out. :ty:

not a problem Rog, its a pleasure:D

Matty said:

DSC_043802152005_11_16_edited_2.jpg

Owzat Matt ?

Managed to mess with the Canvas bit but that just puts a white border round ? :thumb: This is done in Layers right ? Added a standard Foreground Coloured Frame from Elements that sort of finishes it off for now ! :smilenod:

Haven't managed to find Strokes in the right click on image bit yet but give me time ... ! I can play away now and am working through the Elements tuts too.

What you think ? Still a way to go right ... :ponders:

getting a red X there Rog

you can do it as a new layer or as an addition to the existing piccy, Stroke is right click>select all then right click>stroke

Matty said:
getting a red X there Rog

you can do it as a new layer or as an addition to the existing piccy, Stroke is right click>select all then right click>stroke

Sorted Matty - you were right ! Album movements ... :doh: not sure why mind because previous movements seem to have kept track ! Never mind.

And thanks once again for the tips - much appreciated as ever ! :thumb:

Venomator said:
Managed to mess with the Canvas bit but that just puts a white border round ? :thumb:
there is probably an option to change the colour that elements uses when you expand the canvas so you can have black borders (or if you only extend by a pixel or two lines)

Gemok said:
there is probably an option to change the colour that elements uses when you expand the canvas so you can have black borders (or if you only extend by a pixel or two lines)

Thanx Gemok - assume this could be the foreground/background swapping and colouring thingy ? In which case the colouring options are pretty much endless. Not had chance to play and confrim yet. :dizzy:

Am impressed generally with Elements and its friendly intuitive usage ... so far though. :smilenod:

I've not played with elements but usually programs either extend the canvas in your background colour or give you the option to chose a colour on the same page/box as the resizing options.

Back