And now for something different from Dave!!

Edit My Images
Yes
As I've got a day off today I thought I'd try something different for me. Now these are nowhere near as good as those that have posted these sort of shots, so I'd be very greatful for any hints tips or just plain good advice
(y) (y)
One.
Wasp_0001_160k.jpg

Two.
Wasp_0002_160k.jpg

Three.
Wasp_0003_160k.jpg

All three shot with my Canon 300D plus 50mm Sigma lens on TV mode at 1\100s with fill in flash.

As always C&C's are most welcome, thank you for taking the time to look.
(y) (y)

They look nice to me, Dave,....even on this crap monitor at work!

Can I ask something............I know that fill-in flash is just a small amount of flash to fill in the shadows when shooting against the sun or whatever....but how is it defined... if you use TV like you did...........how do you tell it to use fill-in instead of normal flash.....do you just dial the flash compensation down 2 stops?

That's not actually cheating Davey. Providing that you're using the the flash in thru the lens mode and there's a reasonably strong amount of ambient light, then the camera and flash work together to balance the flash and daylight without any interference from you, so you're getting fill flash by default, and that's the way it's designed and meant to work. ;)

If you like the result you're getting then leave well alone. If however you find that the balance of flash in relation to ambient light is a little strong, then just reduce the flash compensation a little until you're happy with the result. The opposite applies of course if you feel the flash isn't strong enough, but I find that if anything I need to reduce flash output a little... usually around 2/3 of a stop.

Obviously Davey has used the pop up flash, but modern accessory flashguns from Canon and Nikon et al, will all still give you that degree of automation with your flash exposures.

Thanks for that CT (y) (y) Me and either pop up flash guns or the sit on top type don't really get on as I like to try and shoot in the light around me. Now that I've tried it and with a bit of practice and advice from gurus like your good self CT, you never I just might get the hang of it some day.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dave, try upping the shutter speed to 1/250th.
This will help freeze any movement the breeze might make.
Also switch to manual mode, and set your aperture for desired DoF.

The flash will automatically calculate how much is needed, and you
should be left with a more pleasing result.

HTH

Back