+ and - of using a wide angle for portraits...

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought a wide angle (10-22) lens for my 80d.

We normally go to a Halloween party every year and I was thinking of using it to get some stranger looking portraits of people at the party. I think the distortions might bring something unusual to the results.

Any tips? Anyone tried and would recommend against? Anyone tried and would give it their full approval?

My only concern at the minute is that the lens hood is so massive, it blocks out part of the flash, but I can remove that.

I used 28mm FF for comic con, it was practical for me in confined spaces - but if you raise the camera above them you can get a bigger head vs body perspective which can be good for this kind of stuff.

Collage of Comic Con photos by dancook1982, on Flickr

With another camera I used a 28mm with macro mode for these

colleague_portraits by dancook1982, on Flickr

Also when you're this close it's easy to hand hold an off camera flash for better lighting

AND with a wide angle lens you can create more depth to the image with perspective when using props

Last edited:
Well yes perspective is down to distance but a wide angle lens allows you to get more of the scene or subject in and create that look otherwise all you'd get is a macro / close up shot.

I'm not a great fan of distorted faces but that could work at Halloween and other body parts (oh er…) or costumes and props could be exaggerated for effect. For example an ex GF of mine loved a shot I took of her which made her legs look longer.

There are some nice fashion / boudoir type wide angle shots on line which may not be exactly what you're trying to do at a Halloween party but which might give you some ideas. Other than that perspective wise what you see is what you get so try to be creative and really look and see the shot your going to take.

Thanks all.

There's some good reference shots above. i was thinking that I would like to deliberately distort the faces to add to the overall effect. As I say, we've been going to these parties for a few years now and I could just take the lens I'd normally use (35mm 1.4) which is better suited to the conditions, but I just fancied trying something different.

I might, actually, only take the wide angle to force me to use it.

Back