...and so it goes on and on..

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Yet another gamekeeper raptor kill..

This time it involves ,the now, former head gamekeeper for the Earl of Shaftsbury. What is it with these uber-wealthy, uber-priveledged people that they have such a penchant for killing wildlife and allow their land to be used for the same purpose for more sick-minded individuals ?

For whatever reason this case has gone on a long time until the gamekeeper,Paul Allen (54) was recently found guilty and sentenced a few weeks ago. At the time of the offences he managed a private, commercial shoot on the Shaftesbury estate near Winbourne St Giles, Dorset. He was found guilty of killing nine buzzards.They were found in his yard on the Shaftsbury estate. He'd most likely also killed a red Kite which was found to have high levels of brodifacoum in it. A member of the public found it in fields on the Shaftsbury estate,I assume, because it was this that lead police to Allen. Brodifacoum is the deadliest rat poison that can be bought on the market and prior to 2016 could only be used indoors but that requirement was dropped by the government after that date. The RSPCA want the restriction to be re-imposed and to be used only by accredited pest control officers in specific circumstances.

A poisoned, tagged, White-Tailed Eagle had been found on the estate,too with 7x the lethal dose of brodifacoum in it 10 months later which was not connected to Allen. So, it sounds as though Allen lost his job after his arrest but the poisioning continued. When police searched his home they found other poisons including the two bottles of the banned poison, strychnine. They also found a loaded ,unlicensed, shotgun along with 55 rounds of unsecured ammunition. He pleaded guilty and was given a 15 week prison sentence....suspended for a year... plus a £2,022 fine. I wonder who'll be paying that ? To give a prison sentence of just 15 weeks is bad enough but to then suspend it leaves those who care about this wicked crime in despair. And what about the Earl ? Nothing. Until the landowners are held responsible the practice will continue.

Re sentencing: https://raptorpersecutionuk.org/2014/11/07/wildlife-crime-penalties-have-your-say/

Sentencing for wildlife crimes has been hit or miss in both Scotland and England. For most wildlife crime offences (although not all), the maximum sentence available for each offence is a £5,000 fine and/or a six month custodial sentence. So for example, if someone had been convicted of poisoning two buzzards, they could potentially be hit with a £10,000 fine and a 12 month custodial sentence. As far as we’re aware, the maximum sentence has never been given. Instead, a large dollop of judicial discretion has been applied, resulting in weak and inconsistent penalties and a growing level of frustration amongst the general public who wish to see justice being done.

Wildlife crime sadly is poorly resourced and consequently poorly policed.

As you illustrate, even once convicted the sentence is paltry and the court system needs to take such offences more seriously to the extent that the harshest sentences are levied.......only then will the message get through.

However, also as you mention the indirect perpetrators need to get their collars felt and also be held accountable with fines to match the wealth and where appropriate also custodial sentences!

Yet another gamekeeper raptor kill..

This time it involves ,the now, former head gamekeeper for the Earl of Shaftsbury. What is it with these uber-wealthy, uber-priveledged people that they have such a penchant for killing wildlife and allow their land to be used for the same purpose for more sick-minded individuals ?
I've deleted the bottom 4/5ths of your post, because the embolden bit in the second paragraph is the key.

They have money. They have privilege. They decide what happens.

I've deleted the bottom 4/5ths of your post, because the embolden bit in the second paragraph is the key.

A bit like the self important WEF types that attend Davos who tell us we need to eat insects, drive less and not go anywhere else to make the weather colder.

Reactions: 4wd

That is, unfortunately, the reality. I'd just add another important element to the money and priveledge. Access. Access to the lawmakers. Maybe you meant that re privelage. At least the 2004 ban went through albeit with a couple of exemptions.

That is absolutely outrageous.
Brodifacoum, with an LD50 of 0.3 MG / Kg is very very effective when used as intended,
Buzzards weight an average of 1Kg.

Brodifacoum prepared bait contains 0.0025% w/w I just wonder how they manage to get a lethal dose, into the ( I assume) carcass left for bait.

The court was told post-mortems performed on the bird suggested “it appears more likely that shooting rather than poisoning was the cause of death for all the birds”.

Last edited:
That is absolutely outrageous.
Brodifacoum, with an LD50 of 0.3 MG / Kg is very very effective when used as intended,
Buzzards weight an average of 1Kg.

Brodifacoum prepared bait contains 0.0025% w/w I just wonder how they manage to get a lethal dose, into the ( I assume) carcass left for bait.

I thought you'd pick up on that aspect. Would they not just cut open a carcass, put the poison in and leave it in the open ? Someone's dog could have bitten into it.

I thought you'd pick up on that aspect. Would they not just cut open a carcass, put the poison in and leave it in the open ?
I suspect that may well be the answer, however if you do the sums, that is a hell of a lot of poison bait, to consume,
as it comes in either wax blocks or grain.
I'm not saying it can't happen, but as per the pathologists quote above, even though they contained traces of the poison, they were most likely shot.

As you may remember, I've killed probably every species that its legal to kill over 30 odd years as a pestie.
IF I was inclined to kill something like a buzzard I would probably soak the carcass in liquid warfarin, ( strychnine etc ) at least add a quantity of it to the internal organs.
I am certainly not condoning killing protected species, but there are "tools" for the job"

Last edited:
I suspect that may well be the answer, however if you do the sums, that is a hell of a lot of poison bait, to consume,
as it comes in either wax blocks or grain.
I'm not saying it can't happen, but as per the pathologists quote above, even though they contained traces of the poison, they were most likely shot.

As you may remember, I've killed probably every species that its legal to kill over 30 odd years as a pestie.
IF I was inclined to kill something like a buzzard I would probably soak the carcass in liquid warfarin, ( strychnine etc ) at least add a quantity of it to the internal organs.
I am certainly not condoning killing protected species, but there are "tools" for the job"

I just went back to my original post and there was no mention of poisoning re the Buzzards in the report. ... just the Red Kite and WTE. I'm assuming had the nine buzzards being poisoned that would have been stated. Problem is how accurate is the reporting. As you've posted,the post mortem showed no poison in 'the bird'. From that I assume it was just one of the Buzzards that was dissected ? The police actually found six Buzzards and the remains of three others.

I just went back to my original post and there was no mention of poisoning re the Buzzards in the report. ... just the Red Kite and WTE. I'm assuming had the nine buzzards being poisoned that would have been stated. Problem is how accurate is the reporting. As you've posted,the post mortem showed no poison in 'the bird'. From that I assume it was just one of the Buzzards that was dissected ? The police actually found six Buzzards and the remains of three others.
I guess I miss-interpreted your post, and took it to mean that Buzzards & a Kite had been poisoned.
It seems from the article, it was just the one buzzard found in his possession, that had been shot, contained traces of poison.

Subsequent searches located a ‘fire in the yard’ and a number of dead birds - including six buzzards and ‘parts’ of three further buzzards. Further ‘remains’ of birds were also discovered.

In mitigation, there are regular reports of BoP's being poisoned, and I was just saying that it would be very difficult, to wholly kill a large bird with poisons.

Last edited:
Back