And that was just last weekend...

Like the idea. But for me the glairy lens look spoils it. Would be better with a boozy haze effect.
Thanks for your feedback... Can you explain what you mean by glairy (glare?) lens and boozey haze effect please?
Cheers. :)

Yes the shot seems to have an unintended glare (my bad spelling). Rather than a look of being viewed through the eyes of someone suffering from a hangover. How you would do it I am not sure. That slightlyout of focus bleary eyed effect.

Last edited:
Looks dull, in a way. No 'pop' to it :D

Crisp and bright would be more appealing, it's like looking through mist to me.

Yes the shot seems to have an unintended glare (my bad spelling). Rather than a look of being viewed through the eyes of someone suffering from a hangover. How you would do it I am not sure. That slightlyout of focus bleary eyed effect.
Thanks for this... Whilst I certainly and genuinely appreciate your comments, the intention was not to have it looking like it being viewed through the eyes of someone suffering from a hangover... it's basically a product shot in my own style of processing. But I honestly do value your opinion of what you think it could be and how it could be better.

Cheers

Beth

Looks dull, in a way. No 'pop' to it :D

Crisp and bright would be more appealing, it's like looking through mist to me.
There's 'pop'... they're mainly prosecco corks (my input lol)... they've got lots of pop! :)

I understand what you're saying, I processed it in my 'curve' style of basically no true blacks. That's probably why it looks a bit dull. I appreciate your feedback. :)

Yes. The black is not quite black.

Correct - like I said, my process style takes true blacks out. I'll post up with the true blacks in, maybe that'll appeal more. Thanks Ian, I appreciate your feedback. Haven't heard from you in awhile. :)

How much wine have you drunk Bethy? ;) I like it. The processing is "your" trademark processing, something I could probably recognise among a load of other similar shots by other photographers. I'd not touch anything about it.

How much wine have you drunk Bethy? ;) I like it. The processing is "your" trademark processing, something I could probably recognise among a load of other similar shots by other photographers. I'd not touch anything about it.
Thanks Carl. I really appreciate that. I posted a 'true black' above, but it just doesn't feel right... I like my style and although I'm happy to show it in other ways, I will always defend my own style as it feels mine, that's taken me a few years to find. Cheers dude. Much appreciated.

I'm not one to knock someone's preferred method of processing- each to their own :)
It's just that you have a decent camera and a not inexpensive lens and then processed the image to look like it's viewed through a mucky pint glass :D

Let's just call it Art :beer:

I'm not one to knock someone's preferred method of processing- each to their own :)
It's just that you have a decent camera and a not inexpensive lens and then processed the image to look like it's viewed through a mucky pint glass :D

Let's just call it Art :beer:
High five. :)

I'm tempted to say you have dust on your sensor... :)

To be serious- there are two flares? just to the top right of the glass.

On the plus side- I like your watermark :D

Edit: BTW, like the edit.

I'm tempted to say you have dust on your sensor... :)

To be serious- there are two flares? just to the top right of the glass.

On the plus side- I like your watermark :D

Edit: BTW, like the edit.
Yea, there is a bit of glare on the glass - I had to take two images and blend them together, then try to fix some bits in photoshop. It's far from perfect, I know that. Like I said in my original post, I did struggle with this. But, I was trying to shoot it without changing my original setup (for my veggies) too much - out of pure laziness. Glass is a nightmare. I'll stick to people and vegetables. :)

Thanks for your feedback Ken. Always appreciated.

Yea, there is a bit of glare on the glass - I had to take two images and blend them together, then try to fix some bits in photoshop. It's far from perfect, I know that. Like I said in my original post, I did struggle with this. But, I was trying to shoot it without changing my original setup (for my veggies) too much - out of pure laziness. Glass is a nightmare. I'll stick to people and vegetables. :)

Thanks for your feedback Ken. Always appreciated.
*out of flippant mode* :)
Sorry, I meant on the background, just to the right of the glass at the rim there is a double flare and then at 45 degrees down from
them there is a single one.

*out of flippant mode* :)
Sorry, I meant on the background, just to the right of the glass at the rim there is a double flare and then at 45 degrees down from
them there is a single one.
Ah bugger...that's my background 'fixing' schoolgirl error. Thanks for pointing that out! I shall fix that! :)

Original for me Bethy.
I like your style. I hope you stick to it.

Just reviewed my input and realised I hadn't actually said I liked the original. It has a certain charm to it.
Very recognisable as your style.
I still prefer the second one though as I'm old and stuck in my ways :)
I'm not sure if your style is beneficial to all subjects. I think, from looking at your Flickr pages, that some subjects suit it better than others... but this is a very personal opinion.

On to more educational topics, have you noticed how the corks are made?
Some corks are completely conglomerate, others have the top made of conglomerate, next layer second quality and the layer next to the wine is made of first quality.
More expensive wines will use just first quality or maybe a combination of first and second.
A subject dear to me :D as I was in the wine trade for 25 years...

Normal service will now be resumed.

sounds like you had the best job in the world for 25 years!
I sometimes took my work home with me...
I had to know my trade, I had my own wine shop for 6 years (worked for a large wine retailer for 19)

Just reviewed my input and realised I hadn't actually said I liked the original. It has a certain charm to it.
Very recognisable as your style.
I still prefer the second one though as I'm old and stuck in my ways :)
I'm not sure if your style is beneficial to all subjects. I think, from looking at your Flickr pages, that some subjects suit it better than others... but this is a very personal opinion.

On to more educational topics, have you noticed how the corks are made?
Some corks are completely conglomerate, others have the top made of conglomerate, next layer second quality and the layer next to the wine is made of first quality.
More expensive wines will use just first quality or maybe a combination of first and second.
A subject dear to me :D as I was in the wine trade for 25 years...

Normal service will now be resumed.
Thanks Ken. I hear what you're saying about it not working for everything, but I've got this thing about no true black. Maybe it's a bit of OCD :) But I certainly take on board what you're saying.

And no, I've never really looked at cork to that degree, but I know that corks are becoming less and less and I remember reading once about one day there will be no more natural cork as we're depleting our supplies slowly but surely. Which is sad for the environment if there's any truth to it. I do know that it comes from the bark of the tree and it's only harvested something like once every 8-9 years?

Very cool job you had... :)

Thanks Ken. I hear what you're saying about it not working for everything, but I've got this thing about no true black. Maybe it's a bit of OCD :) But I certainly take on board what you're saying.

And no, I've never really looked at cork to that degree, but I know that corks are becoming less and less and I remember reading once about one day there will be no more natural cork as we're depleting our supplies slowly but surely. Which is sad for the environment if there's any truth to it. I do know that it comes from the bark of the tree and it's only harvested something like once every 8-9 years?

Very cool job you had... :)

Removed. Just saw the "no edits". Apologies.

Last edited:
Way overcooked IMO (Dunc's edit) and Bethy has "No" as the Edit my images option...

Bethy, I'm warming to the first image the more I see it. I keep coming back to it...

Correct - like I said, my process style takes true blacks out. I'll post up with the true blacks in, maybe that'll appeal more. Thanks Ian, I appreciate your feedback. Haven't heard from you in awhile. :)
I really like your usual style, but with this subject it leaves the glass slightly milky - "it's time to put more salt in the dishwasher" probably isn't the thought you want to inspire. Is there a halfway position that keeps the muted blacks of the background that mark your style but gives the glass a little more clarity? If you tried it with a champagne glass you'd have the bubbles/fizz to balance the toning, but the corks themselves are rather flat as a subject.

It's good to do things different from the norm, straight black is what you would expect of this sort of photography. What you've done (which from what I've have read, is your style) is made ppl look and debate. Whether everyone likes your style or not doesn't really matter, the fact they are talking about it, means it's right.

I really like your usual style, but with this subject it leaves the glass slightly milky - "it's time to put more salt in the dishwasher" probably isn't the thought you want to inspire. Is there a halfway position that keeps the muted blacks of the background that mark your style but gives the glass a little more clarity? If you tried it with a champagne glass you'd have the bubbles/fizz to balance the toning, but the corks themselves are rather flat as a subject.

Like it lots but I'm with Alastair. And unlike the beautiful veg I wonder whether this would benefit from a bit of a shadow or reflection to show it grounded rather than floating?

I love the overall idea and image. When I saw the original post, my first thought was, mmmm, wouldn't it be better with stronger blacks, but having seen both edits I actually like the original the more I see it. It does have a certain quality that I cannot describe very well, whereas the second processing is too much.

You inspire me to try more of this creative imagery!!

Crikey - that's got to be my personal best thread revival yet... 9 months. Could have had a baby in that time. :D

Back