And then there were TWO..!!

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
I was considering getting a Benbo tripod, thinking hard about it and chatting with someone, on here, who had one for sale. Only to be outsmarted by my wife who, as a 'prize' for going 12 weeks without tobacco, presented me with a brand new Trekker Mk3. THEN...

I was quietly doing 'stuff' in my Man Cave when the Rev Mrs Tommo appeared and asked me if I'd seen the local auction company's latest online catalogue. Well I hadn't so, putting aside the 'stuff' I was doing, I sat back and began to peruse their wares. Lot 1.. Lot 40, 55, 80, 150, 200, 225... 226..!! A BENBO No1 Tripod, listed at £10-£40..!!

So the sale was this morning. I entered a bid of £30.00... and waited, and waited... Up flashes "Bid Ending Soon", which means in less than five seconds.. YEAH.. I won. A used, but not abused, Benbo 1 with a large Benro ball head and Cullman QR plate...

What's that saying about what do you get for a man who has everything..?? Oooh look at me, Benbo No1 and Benbo Trekker Mk3.

It will be a while before this silly smile I'm sporting wears off.:clap::woot:(y)

The Benbo mk1 is by far the best Benbo version and probably the most underated tripod on the market. - They are ridiculous value for money!

OK, so they are heavy and take some getting used to, but a simply amazing piece of kit. I would not use it with a 'big' lens, but for EVERYTHING else, they are fantastic.

The Benbo mk1 is by far the best Benbo version and probably the most underated tripod on the market. - They are ridiculous value for money!

OK, so they are heavy and take some getting used to, but a simply amazing piece of kit. I would not use it with a 'big' lens, but for EVERYTHING else, they are fantastic.

Indeed.. I want it to get down low, in places a normal tripod just wont get to. Benbo will fit the bill perfectly. There are signs of what I'd call 'good use' on it, some scuffs and abrasions, but nothing a little touch up with some Hammerite won't cure. This Benbo is going to boldly go.. this Benbo is going to get used to the 'taste' of salt water.. And it takes my Bronica perfectly too.

I actively despised my benbo mk1.
It was like wrestling an octopus.

Indeed..!! Well, to be honest, I'd watched a few YouTube videos which made it obvious (at least to me) how to set them up. I gave it a try when I collected it from the auction house and had a laugh because the auctioneer said he'd spent 15 minutes trying to set it up for their catalogue photos..!! The secret is to first extend the legs. Then, with everything directly in front of you, unlock the legs whilst holding the centre column. Push forward the middle leg, pull back the outer legs and lock off. Done. Slightly untightening the legs means you can then get the centre column positioned exactly where you want it.

I am going to have some serious fun with this tripod.

Try not use the Trekker with too much centre column extension. I have a photo somewhere where I used it fully extended and the top half is sharp but the lower half is blurred as vibration set in through the shot.

Great stuff.

They may be made of real metal and relatively low tech but to me that gives them a feel as if they could withstand not only WW3 but the next ice age too. I'm not a great tripod user but when I want it I'd use it anywhere and not worry about it and if it does pick up a mark it's only a battle scar and will add character :D

I do think the additional centre column bracket is worth looking into but if you're happy without then there's no need :D

Last edited:
Try not use the Trekker with too much centre column extension. I have a photo somewhere where I used it fully extended and the top half is sharp but the lower half is blurred as vibration set in through the shot.

When I've used mine extended I've set the timer so there's time for the vibration caused by pressing the shutter to settle down.

Cheers guys. Whilst this Benbo quite clearly has signs of being well used it has no, obvious, signs of abuse. My wife picked it up, stood with it in her hands for 30 seconds, and proclaimed "Well I wont be borrowing this any time in the future..!!". I reminds me of a miniture Acro. The, very large, Benbo ball head that was attached had what appears to be a Cullman QR bracket but no plate. No matter I've something on order.

When I've used mine extended I've set the timer so there's time for the vibration caused by pressing the shutter to settle down.
I would have used a cable release (or electrical equivalent) so this was caused by the shutter, not pressing the shutter.

Back