Android phone in apple ecosystem

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone use android phone in an apple ecosystem

Does it work well? Any hints or tips.

I wasn’t aware that you could use an android phone with apple software like iCloud
Not saying you can’t through just didn’t know it was possible
iCloud for me anyway is one reason I use apple

Which part of the Apple ecosystem?

I have Apple Music on my work Samsung. Works ok.
Just in general, I use all Macs at the mo
iPhone 13 PM
Ipad Mini
Ipad 12.9 pro
Apple watch
Macbook Pro
Imac

I hate the phone, and want a Samsung.

Like messages on the iPad? etc

iPhone 13 PM
Ipad Mini
Ipad 12.9 pro
Apple watch
Macbook Pro
Imac

Well as someone that uses both iPhone and Samsung phones I can’t work out why anyone would want to bin off the iPhone.

You’re not going to get syncing across devices you are used to, nor iMessages and if your Apple Watch is the cellular version, you’ll lose the data on it if the iPhone data package is removed from your account.

iPhone 13 PM
Ipad Mini
Ipad 12.9 pro
Apple watch
Macbook Pro
Imac

iMessages won’t work (not sure about syncing SMS) Obviously you could use Signal on aPhone, iPad & Mac. WhatsApp too will work but it’s clunky on the iPad anyway as it has to be in a browser and phone nearby unlike Signal (and probably some others. Email will work in the normal way, I expect iCloud mail will work but Google likes to say it’s “insecure” :LOL: when used in their apps.

Google Calendars sync with Apple’s. Don’t know about Reminders — prob not. Notes won’t but there are other solution I think.

DropBox & similar are OK provided they have apps for both/all three since they all depend on the web.

Not sure what else.

Well as someone that uses both iPhone and Samsung phones I can’t work out why anyone would want to bin off the iPhone.

You’re not going to get syncing across devices you are used to, nor iMessages and if your Apple Watch is the cellular version, you’ll lose the data on it if the iPhone data package is removed from your account.
I don’t think you can use the Watch without an iPhone to “control” & update it?

Can’t imagine why anyone would hate the iPhone if they had all that Apple gear. I guess you’ve use an Android before and are used to it?

I don’t think you can use the Watch without an iPhone to “control” & update it?

Cellular watches can now be updated directly without using the iPhone. Wifi only models will need to be connected to the iPhone to be able to do a software update.

Can’t imagine why anyone would hate the iPhone if they had all that Apple gear. I guess you’ve use an Android before and are used to it?
The phone is just dull, boring, uses a stupid charger.
Other apps are android only.
Picture in Picture works far better.

Use android for work

So a dual sim android would mean carrying one device

Use android for work

So a dual sim android would mean carrying one device
I get that — you confused the issue by introducing hatred of the iPhone, which may be true but is irrelevant ;).

So if the watch is cellular it looks like you can do it but maybe go through a list of apps you use and see if they are all available. Some, like iMessage and FaceTime definitely aren’t (though still work on your iPad & Mac without an iPhone) but there are alternatives — depends a lot on what family etc use :(.

I get that — you confused the issue by introducing hatred of the iPhone, which may be true but is irrelevant ;).

So if the watch is cellular it looks like you can do it but maybe go through a list of apps you use and see if they are all available. Some, like iMessage and FaceTime definitely aren’t (though still work on your iPad & Mac without an iPhone) but there are alternatives — depends a lot on what family etc use :(.
I may have to change my watch which is ok.

Looking at photos and back up, may have to switch over to google for photos etc.

I don’t have a 13 but the charging for the 11 is OK, I use an Anker charging stand which holds the phone at a convenient angle for hands free use too.

phone is a phone at the end of the day. The rest will depend how heavily you want to depend on all-controlling apple software, which is not irrepleceable nor is the best. Obvious alternatives come from Google, MS, Amazon etc and there are usually better 3rd party solutions if you dig even deeper. I don't like iphones, and never saw a need when I had all macs. It also made easy to at least partially move away from them now. Apple is not what it used to be.

phone is a phone at the end of the day. The rest will depend how heavily you want to depend on all-controlling apple software, which is not irrepleceable nor is the best. Obvious alternatives come from Google, MS, Amazon etc and there are usually better 3rd party solutions if you dig even deeper. I don't like iphones, and never saw a need when I had all macs. It also made easy to at least partially move away from them now. Apple is not what it used to be.
I agree, the phone and the watch are not must haves and android do just as well, if not better, for less money.

The iPads are the best tablets around for my money.
I run both windows and OSX on the computers, so they are ok, well built.

The iPads are the best tablets around for my money.
Agreed, the hardware is now very good value for money, tough it did not used to be. but now every app developer is spoiling it by making all the usable apps "in app payment " just to prosper from parents who let their kids use their iPad.

Last edited:
I tried it but it's just too painful. My Android phone died after 2 1/2 years its battery decided to expand and break out of the phone! Got an iPhone and it's a whole different world.
Transferring pictures from an Android phone to a mac was so painful. From an iPhone then it's a simple one click.

Yes they are less expensive but for Apple users, Android devices are not as closely linked.

I tried it but it's just too painful. My Android phone died after 2 1/2 years its battery decided to expand and break out of the phone! Got an iPhone and it's a whole different world.
Transferring pictures from an Android phone to a mac was so painful. From an iPhone then it's a simple one click.

Yes they are less expensive but for Apple users, Android devices are not as closely linked.
I never keep my handset longer than a year.

Actually the android handset I am looking at is 100 quid more

They are not meant to be used as long as laptops. 2 years is a lot for phones. Most 2 year old iPhones are see are completely cracked top to bottom. Probably a lot less than 2 years... There you go.

I think we are unusual in that we keep our phones for a few years
I’m still using my old model iPhone SE that I bought as a refurbished from a company on amazon it’s on its second battery but still works fine , I’d rather spend money on camera gear to be honest
My wife has recently changed hers for an iPhone 13 but will keep it for a few years
For us phones are tools and the apple setup makes it easy as we have iPads and me a MacBook

Last edited:
They are not meant to be used as long as laptops. 2 years is a lot for phones. Most 2 year old iPhones are see are completely cracked top to bottom. Probably a lot less than 2 years... There you go.
That’s rubbish. I’ve mostly bought used iPhones for me and relatives and friends (some here and some from giffgaff) and all have worked well for years.

I chop and change phones quite a bit. It is a lot easier to move across iOS/Android ecosystems than it used to be. I have an iPad Pro and a Macbook too.

My work uses Google workplace (Docs, Slides etc). These work just as well on either ecosystem. I set my camera on whatever device to back up to Google Photos, so I can get my photos on whatever device I’m using.

iMessage isn’t too bad. When moving to Android, I just turn iMessage off on the iPhone beforehand. Most people I know use Whatsapp anyway so it’s not a problem.

Some things like Airdrop are missing on Android, but it’s easy enough to store something in Google Drive and get it anywhere. Contacts seem to sync fine once you log into whatever internet accounts you are using. So basically it’s not hard to switch at all.

And…don’t forget that it is Apple that is restricting you with their proprietary protocols to keep you in their ecosystem. The idea that Apple is lovely and friendly is a carefully created fallacy - they want you in and create elaborate ways to stop you leaving - very malicious IMHO.

Samsung’s DEX facility is totally amazing. Imagine you plug your iPhone into an external display (or connect to a display wirelessly), and having MacOs start up on that display, driven by the iPhone. That’s what DEX is. It’s a full desktop facility that is driven by the phone. The phone then turns into a touchpad for working the mouse pointer. Add a small folding bluetooth keyboard and you can work anywhere with a screen. I’ve done it many times and it always amazes Apple users. But of course Apple would never do a DEX equivalent as it would cut into sales of iPads and Macbooks. Shame.

Samsung Switch also enables a very easy and painless way to get all the same apps & data onto your Samsung phone from your iPhone.

All that being said, I’m currently using an iPhone 13 Pro. I had an order in for a Samsung S22 Ultra but cancelled it following poor battery life reports. You pays your money…

You are kidding right? One of the best thing about the App Store is that it isn’t full of the dangerous stuff that has its home in the Play Store.
Couldn’t agree more. Nobody is forced to buy iPhones!

You are kidding right? One of the best thing about the App Store is that it isn’t full of the dangerous stuff that has its home in the Play Store.
Your beloved EU disagrees with that and for a very good measure

To be honest I agree as well
I’ve never needed to do anything with my phone that wasn’t available in the App Store
But maybe I’m the typical apple customer, my phone is just a tool just for messages and stuff like that

Back